Where did you stay in your time at UNT?

Harry

I guess I'll go ahead and be the first "commuter" to post.  Before enrolling at NT, I did work for the University for a year on a moving truck. As a result I visited a lot of dorms, to move things in and out. My assessment after going through a lot of the dorms was that there were a lot of guys who's mothers cleaned up after them a lot when they were growing up. I also visited just about every professor's office when they wanted to move to what they thought was a better office. Most of these moves were professors in the school of music. Interesting bunch......especially Dr. Dika Newlin.......🙄.  The crew I worked on also got to be part of the big move of the school of art from their old building in the middle of campus to the (then) new building located on the east side of the campus. Moving the giant kiln from the basement of the old art building (it took about 20 of us} to be loaded on a large truck was a North Texas memory I'll never forget.

After I enrolled at North Texas my fellow commuter buddies and I would often meet for lunch in the old Marquis Hall cafeteria that the school kept open for anyone to come in and have a meal.....it was a bargain.  That was the closest thing to a "living on campus" experience that I had. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kingwoodgreen said:

Sig Ep house for two years when it was located where “Clark Park” is currently. Great location and had our own dirt parking lot. House for last year away from campus and all the fun but needed to study and  slow down. 

I lived here too. Cockroaches the size of small dogs. Good times. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Dika Newlin was a legend not only at North Texas but around the world. Two stories:

The Dean of the School of Music held a faculty meeting to tell the professors to cease having affairs with their students.  Dika stood up and announced, "I guess we'll now have to go to New York City to get laid!"

In those days, there was an outdoor swimming pool close to where the student union sits now.  She decided to take a dip in the pool wearing a Mozart sweatshirt, her underpants, and carried a parasol. Students from other departments who did not know her called an ambulance to the pool, thinking she was mentally ill!

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/arts/music/28newlin.html

None of that surprises me. In your description you left out her Jerry Lewis haircut. When I saw her I remember thinking "did this person get lost on her way to the school of art? Which was the only other department that was regarded as stranger than the school of music  She took odd to another level......even for the school of Music,

• Upvote 4

I still laugh at the Sammy house that was next to Voertmans.  It looked like a scene out of animal house.  When it changed over to Christian center I had to wonder if they did an excerist before the new group could move into the building.

I forgot that I spent on year living at the Campus Square Apts.  It has has a new name now and they remodeled it.  When I lived there they were like a hotel room with no kitchen and a shared bathroom.  In my past career I had a chance to visit there and the mgr let me look at the apt now.  I think they made two rooms from back then to one room now.  They have a kitchen and their own bathroom. I just remember the how bad the air was there (as in it did work).  

I lived there in the summer of 1980.  If you were in Denton you know how hot it was.  Watch the weather and see how many records were set in 1980 in the summer time.  I think we had a couple of 113 degree days.  I spent a lot of time on campus and took summer classes to help avoid the heat.  It was brutal!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I still laugh at the Sammy house that was next to Voertmans.  It looked like a scene out of animal house.  When it changed over to Christian center I had to wonder if they did an excerist before the new group could move into the building.

I forgot that I spent on year living at the Campus Square Apts.  It has has a new name now and they remodeled it.  When I lived there they were like a hotel room with no kitchen and a shared bathroom.  In my past career I had a chance to visit there and the mgr let me look at the apt now.  I think they made two rooms from back then to one room now.  They have a kitchen and their own bathroom. I just remember the how bad the air was there (as in it did work).  

I lived there in the summer of 1980.  If you were in Denton you know how hot it was.  Watch the weather and see how many records were set in 1980 in the summer time.  I think we had a couple of 113 degree days.  I spent a lot of time on campus and took summer classes to help avoid the heat.  It was brutal!

Remember going to an astronomy lab and it was up in flames. That was the time that it was the delta lodge...fire was either fall of 95 or spring of 96

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Find it ironic that the sammy house became the christian center 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Freshmen: Clark

Sophomore: Fraternity house - @Jason Howeth our first place was something wasn't it?

Junior year 1st semester- american university

Junior year second semester- university courtyards with some interesting people

Senior year- University courtyards 

• Upvote 3

Freshman - 1st semester Kerr Hall, 2nd Semester Clark Hall

Sophomore - Clark Hall

Junior - Sante Fe (less than five years old at the time, clearly not built to stand the test of time)

Senior - University Uptown Apartments (literally moved into them brand new, they were falling apart within a year)

Grad school - The Oaks - great proximity to campus (could walk to my classes in business building and also walk to Fry to get a beer)

Definitely some good memories throughout those places. Probably most fond memories in Clark Hall. Had great roomate who became my best man and still great friend to this day. Met other characters who are still apart of my life in some way or another 15+ years later.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1st year: Cooper Glen Apartments up on Locust w/ a roommate who was eventually kicked out for taking a dump in the hot tub. We had a morning final in World Lit (Lyceum), then went to a Rangers day game that was also Dollar Hot Dog day. Went crazy on dogs, then came back and stopped at the Howdy Doody 7-12 on Locust with my buddy's fake ID... Then, full of hot dogs, beer, and the white russians we made (Lebowski had just come out), we hung out in the hot tub in the summer heat for hours. He wasn't allowed back on the premises after that 🤷‍♂️

2nd year: Ramsgate down on Bernard, small one bedroom. The place was old as hell even then (1999 or so), but by god it was my own place and had a racquetball court on site!! I know it's called something else now, one of the many places in Little D with a trendy nightclub sounding ass name.

Years 3-4.5: Pace's Crossing off 288 and Colorado. This place was the best. Wall sized mirror in the dining room, and a little "study" with french doors off the living room where i set up my desk and blueberry iMac. Pretty much lived my best life at this place... Did all my NTTV Sports stuff, worked part time at the Hastings right down Colorado, and I took years off my life eating at Red Pepper's twice a week. Did the Y2K new year's here, and my first year I dated a redhead hooters girl who's now a damn doctor. I sure effed that one up. The last few months I met a blonde who lived next-door and Jefferson Commons, and she ended up as wife #1. Really shoulda stuck with Hooters... that's a lesson for the kids out there. But anyway, hell yeah Pace's Crossing!

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Haha 6

First "home away from home", University House, Fall 1967.  Then, The Esquire Apts. at 502 Ave. E and 1920 W. Prairie.  Marriage meant she got to leave Maple St. and three apartments for us.  First 1112 Palmwood, then 2505 Louise, and finally 910 Eagle Dr.  By then it was time to get a full time job!  Just celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary. "Fly Like An Eagle"

University House NTSU 19670001.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eagle71 said:

First "home away from home", University House, Fall 1967.  Then, The Esquire Apts. at 502 Ave. E and 1920 W. Prairie.  Marriage meant she got to leave Maple St. and three apartments for us.  First 1112 Palmwood, then 2505 Louise, and finally 910 Eagle Dr.  By then it was time to get a full time job!  Just celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary. "Fly Like An Eagle"

University House NTSU 19670001.jpg

Was this a advertising photo or a picture just taken. I mean the guy on the third floor in the right corner, who stands like that.  Did this become the campus square arts later on, the set up looks the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Freshman year - Clark Hall. most time there was spent in the game room hustling dominos for beer money
Sophomore year - Fraternity House. oof. 
Junior Year - shared house arrangement on Wood Street...far west Hickory near Carl Young Park
Senior Year - Opera House Apartments
Senior year-extended/Grad Year - loft on the square over original Jupiter House (now LaDiDa)

• Upvote 2

On 7/10/2019 at 11:29 AM, SilverEagle said:

None of that surprises me. In your description you left out her Jerry Lewis haircut. When I saw her I remember thinking "did this person get lost on her way to the school of art? Which was the only other department that was regarded as stranger than the school of music  She took odd to another level......even for the school of Music,

Now, to be fair, other departments had their share of "unique and odd professors". A highly regarded professor of psychology (who started the highly regarded "Center for Behavioral studies")  Dr. Donald Whaley, (who looked very much like Grisly Adams......tall, full beard and barrel chested), was known to occasionally come to class wearing leather hot pants. And he was rumored to have had his share of dalliances with coeds.

https://behv.hps.unt.edu/content/donald-whaley

• Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

Transferred to UNT and got to Denton in 1997. First stop: Apartments off McKinney and Loop 288 (I think they're called McKinney Park Apts now...but I don't think that's what they were called then) My roommate at the time only needed 60 hours so he could join DPS. He did (and is a Lt. with them now)

Next: Woodhill Apartments

Worked at Footaction in Golden Triangle Mall then I got a job in Dallas making more money

Then: Westwind Apartments (first apartment by myself...man I was broke)

Then: moved into a condo complex on Country Club Rd (off 377). Hobson Ln dead ended right into our complex. One night there was a big boom...someone on Hobson ran through Country Club Drive and hit the railing that was set up in front of our complex. (now I know why the railing was there)

image.png.1a48b7aacf441de9516c2db5a163b5a0.png

We came outside and the driver had fled....fun times. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1