ACU opening season chatter on Mean Green

Thoughts of bogeyman on Cat Chat -

"Reading about North Texas gets me excited about our possibilities of an upset. I've watched their QB Fine play several games (mostly losses) and although he is a good QB, I'm certainly not overwhelmed by him. He can be hurried and we will have the players on the DL and LB's that can hurry him. We are deep at DE and have 3 pretty solid rushing ends in Smith, Piccone, and Hill. Their RB's seem to be solid but our 4 backs of James, McCrary, White and Anderson measure up pretty good too. Our LB'er corps should be equal to theirs and I think superior. Our DB play will have to be superior to their playmakers at receiver but maybe, just maybe that can happen. I don't think their defense can shut us down and ours will be pretty stout. They have some 3-star unknowns who could turn the tide but we are bringing in some pretty good talent too. Dorrell has been building this team to one he likes and he may be there this year (maybe next). I understand they are FBS. I understand they went to a bowl game. I understand they have more scholarship players. They have a great young coach and have brought in a very good OC. We still may be a year away but I'm thinking we will surprise this year. If our OL has been upgraded; if our receivers can hold their own; if we have some DB's who can defend, we're going to be pretty salty (as my dad use to say). I can't wait to see who comes in for fall practice in August. This team is coming together and North Texas better be on their toes."

• Thanks 2

acutrackfan

"There will be a big Purple and White event in Denton that afternoon prior to the game. The pre-game event for the Baylor was huge -- over 1600 people passed through the Sports Hall of Fame at Baylor. I would imagine that the ACU crowd at the UNT game will be big, with the huge number of alumni in the Metroplex."

If I'm reading this right, they had 1,600 at Baylor. If they bring half that, they would bring more folks than SMU's three years combined.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

If I'm reading this right, they had 1,600 at Baylor. If they bring half that, they would bring more folks than SMU's three years combined.

The TX Sports Hall of Fame was once run by former ACU Athletic Director (Now North Texas Deputy AD) Jared Mosley.  He was here when that game was played in 2018, but I bet he helped set that meeting place up for ACU prior to him taking the NT job.

5 hours ago, Withers940 said:

The metroplex is one of the largest ACU alum areas.  I am not sure what our new AD has cooked up, but we tend to get excited about major sports events there.  I don't know if we will meet or exceed 1600 or not, but I hope so.  I hope we can help make it a great evening of football for everyone involved.  I like the idea that it will be two great Texas teams going head to head, can't wait.

Edited by Outsider
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1