DRC breaking news: UNT finalizes deal with Littrell

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

It also helps us pull in better coaches in the future via our budget. It’s easier to keep allocating $1.8M to salary each year than it is to change the budget to bring in a new coach at $1.8M or even $2M from $1.4M.

Which is probably why baseball is on hold for now.

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I sure hope we don’t go 7-5 this year. 

Which is VERY possible with this schedule. 

Point being. He needs to win big games this year when something is on the line. And when he does.....it will be his first. (Green tinted glasses removed)

Point being: He needs to win the conference championship this year. He’s the highest paid coach in the conference. He’s on a list with a bunch of coaches who have had their teams ranked.

I don’t care who his agent is and him using the KState thing as leverage. Littrell has the greatest QB in school history this year.

He needs to go win the conference period  

Kind of where my thinking is at. The schedule in CUSA is never going to be overly difficult. The OOC schedule is not really a murder's row either tbh. ACU, SMU, Cal and UH is a good and solid schedule, but to me they're all beatable teams there. This will be his best offensive roster he's had and 7-5 will be unsatisfactory. Winning a conference championship is never easy regardless of the conference, but getting to 9 wins with a bowl win has to be the standard given the situation at hand. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Point being. He needs to win big games this year when something is on the line. And when he does.....it will be his first. (Green tinted glasses removed)

Point being: He needs to win the conference championship this year. He’s the highest paid coach in the conference. He’s on a list with a bunch of coaches who have had their teams ranked.

I don’t care who his agent is and him using the KState thing as leverage. Littrell has the greatest QB in school history this year.

This is the year! Champ game at the Ap! Have we ever had this much preseason  pub. Preseason Conf at RB, OL, WR, DL, DB and Conf USA MVP!!! Needs to get done. GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Have we ever had this much preseason  pub. Preseason Conf at RB, OL, WR, DL, DB and Conf USA MVP!!! Needs to get done. GMG 

I remember Cobb's final year, when we had the last two national rushing champs sharing the backfield, was pretty stoked.

• Upvote 4

On 7/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

“No upside”?

The guy has us playing some of the best football we’ve played in decades... Baker & Smatresk give him a ~10% raise (which keeps him very happy here & thinking twice/pulling out of P5 offers), and there’s “no upside”?

more like a 25% raise. And no there is no upside. upside is if you (might) get something in return for your investment. That is not the case. Its a bad negotiation job and staying pat would have been preferable.

It is the ADs job to think of both what happens if there is success and what if there isn't. This contract fails on both accounts, which means exactly that there is no upside to it. SL was gonna be motivated at 1.4 million also. I am convinced that even if SL got no raise, he would not leave in anger, nor would he let the team down with sub-par effort. And this raise is not gonna keep him from leaving if the right program comes calling either.

Most importantly there is no significant real financial benefit to the university if he leaves, however if things go wrong the university is on the hook for significantly more. 

Imagine (god forbid) Mason gets hurt early in the season, something other unfortunate injury or similar happens, and SL goes 6-6 and loses the bowl game (again). NT would be paying 1.8 million for a coach who'd never won a bowl game. That is a real risk that needs to be outweighed by benefits of the also very real proabability that SL is succesful and leaves this year. Problem is that this is not the case as NT doesn't really get anything if SL is succesful this year and leaves, it would really only get back about what it handed him already.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

I wonder (and yes.....this is way out there)

What if.....Seth Littrell really does love it here to the point that there’s only one job he would leave for.

what about this conversation:

Littrell: ”Jimmy, I want to stay here but I want to maximize my $ as much as possible while staying here. I only want one job to take me out of Denton”

Sexton: “ok....let me show you how to do it. Just so happens KState wants to talk to you. I’ll show you how to use that  you just keep recruiting and winning”

I know that most coaches want to always move up....but if they find a situation that is good for their family, that can become their priority. It’s not unheard of for people to sacrifice professional advancement for family. (I know from personal experience) 

People are motivated differently. I know the odds are against it but it’s not impossible. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

more like a 25% raise. And no there is no upside. upside is if you (might) get something in return for your investment. That is not the case. Its a bad negotiation job and staying pat would have been preferable.

It is the ADs job to think of both what happens if there is success and what if there isn't. This contract fails on both accounts, which means exactly that there is no upside to it. SL was gonna be motivated at 1.4 million also. I am convinced that even if SL got no raise, he would not leave in anger, nor would he let the team down with sub-par effort. And this raise is not gonna keep him from leaving if the right program comes calling either.

Most importantly there is no significant real financial benefit to the university if he leaves, however if things go wrong the university is on the hook for significantly more. 

Imagine (god forbid) Mason gets hurt early in the season, something other unfortunate injury or similar happens, and SL goes 6-6 and loses the bowl game (again). NT would be paying 1.8 million for a coach who'd never won a bowl game. That is a real risk that needs to be outweighed by benefits of the also very real proabability that SL is succesful and leaves this year. Problem is that this is not the case as NT doesn't really get anything if SL is succesful this year and leaves, it would really only get back about what it handed him already.

I really must say I could not disagree with you more. I think what the University has done is shown a commitment to athletics and something that is being noticed throughout the country. With Seth’s contract, the University is getting recognition throughout college football as a school that is committed to building an ongoing successful program. This commitment has been something North Texas has not had in the past and frankly has been used against us in recruiting. As we move forward if Seth should decide to leave I believe we will have a much higher level of interest in this position as potential coaches will understand the commitment from North Texas for success. I believe it also shows high school coaches that the University is committed to building a strong program - A place where they can encourage their players to continue their football careers.

Are there risk, yes. But as you try to take it to the next level just like in many sports contracts you have to pay for potential. I believe what North Texas has shown is they are committed to the future.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

58 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I wonder (and yes.....this is way out there)

What if.....Seth Littrell really does love it here to the point that there’s only one job he would leave for.

what about this conversation:

Littrell: ”Jimmy, I want to stay here but I want to maximize my $ as much as possible while staying here. I only want one job to take me out of Denton”

Sexton: “ok....let me show you how to do it. Just so happens KState wants to talk to you. I’ll show you how to use that  you just keep recruiting and winning”

I know that most coaches want to always move up....but if they find a situation that is good for their family, that can become their priority. It’s not unheard of for people to sacrifice professional advancement for family. (I know from personal experience) 

People are motivated differently. I know the odds are against it but it’s not impossible. 

I’m with you - would love to see Seth be the Chris Peterson (former Boise great coach) of North Texas.  Unfortunately even Chris took the money and eventually went to Washington.

I do feel like if Houston had nabbed a spot in the Big 12 Tom Hermans might have stayed.

When you are successful there’s always a lot of people whispering in your ear saying the grass is much greener on the other side.

truth is UNT has come a LONG way to the point in where we kept a coach from going to a Big 12 school (K-State).

reality is the building and winning never stops.  You can’t afford to be complacent anymore.  

Wonder if NT added in a clause to this new contract that says, "should UNT be invited to a post-season bowl game, this contract prohibits the current coach from discussing possible new job opportunities until after the post season bowl game has bee played".  Or something similar. You "wordsmith" gurus can doctor that up for me.  But you get the basic meaning.

I want to avoid what happened last season.  Mason was injured early on in the game.  I get it.  I'm talking about the "loss of focus" by the coaching staff leading up to the New Mexico Bowl.  Never should have happened.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Wonder if NT added in a clause to this new contract that says, "should UNT be invited to a post-season bowl game, this contract prohibits the current coach from discussing possible new job opportunities until after the post season bowl game has bee played".  Or something similar. You "wordsmith" gurus can doctor that up for me.  But you get the basic meaning.

I want to avoid what happened last season.  Mason was injured early on in the game.  I get it.  I'm talking about the "loss of focus" by the coaching staff leading up to the New Mexico Bowl.  Never should have happened.

you could put that in there all you want, but the coach isn't the one "contacting or being contacted", thats the agent.  School goes through agent, agent goes to coach, coach tells agent whats up, agent communicates back to school.  

In the end all parties have plausible deniability except for the agent, and it his job not to,

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

The upside is that you have a good coach for at least one  year and hopefully more.  You have no way to know if Littrell was promised this increase to stay for this coming season.   

Because of the timing no one can determine how much of NT's success is due to a great QB or a great coach.  So, you should be happy that both are here for next season.  

Division 1 head football coaches are all vastly overpaid, win or lose.   

Losing a starting QB would be a great blow to the success chances for the majority of teams.   A good football coach would definitely be a benefit under those circumstances.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

Or, when he wins 9 games again regardless of a bowl win/conference championship (which all of US desire badly).  Seth wins 9 games 3 seasons in a row at UNT after what our program got turned into in previous years.....The guy will be carried away by piles of $$ to a much larger institution.  No matter what every time he gets extended his buyout $$ goes up substantially meaning we wont be paying as much for our next HC because whatever school hires Seth away will be footing most of that bill.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, outoftown said:

His base went up only $150k (or just over 10%) according to the article.   The incentives would have to be earned to make it up to the $1.8mil.  And if he meets the necessary requirements for the incentives, then the deal is more than worth it.

And yeah, if Fine goes down, we’re not gonna have as good of a year...  that has no bearing on Littrell’s coaching ability or what he’s worth.

And, as many have already pointed out, a lot of the motivation around this is not for paying Littrell, but showing the college football world that UNT can “keep up with the Jones’”.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Leading up to New Mexico? Surely you mean earlier than that, how many 3 TD leads did we blow down the stretch again?

Not to mention getting our teeth kicked in two Decembers in a row. FAU, Troy, and USU all beat the daylights out of us. The head coaches of two of those programs are coaching in the big 12 now, the third has an alias and goes by the name Joey Freshwater.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 2:00 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

HA

• Upvote 2