DRC breaking news: UNT finalizes deal with Littrell

Brett Vito

85-23 versus 14-13.  Math’s too fuzzy for me yet this morning.  Fisher’s record vs. Littrell’s.  $7.5M vs. $1.4M.  Who’s going to take over Reeder’s offense when we travel to College Station next September in ‘20?  Does Fine have another year of eligibility?  

• Confused 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I was 100% on board with a contract extension in anticipation of him leaving next year. I thought surely we would raise his buyout along with his salary. Unless I can’t read, I was wrong and we LOWERED his buyout?

Why the hell would we do that? What is our incentive to extend him? If we extend him to raise the buyout great, but extending him so he gets more money for his one year gig and his next school pays less?

Littrell would’ve stayed this season whether we extended him or not because the coaching carousel has already stopped for the year. Why, why, why would we do this? Jimmy Sexton bending is over a table.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I was 100% on board with a contract extension in anticipation of him leaving next year. I thought surely we would raise his buyout along with his salary. Unless I can’t read, I was wrong and we LOWERED his buyout?

Why the hell would we do that? What is our incentive to extend him? If we extend him to raise the buyout great, but extending him so he gets more money for his one year gig and his next school pays less?

Littrell would’ve stayed this season whether we extended him or not because the coaching carousel has already stopped for the year. Why, why, why would we do this? Jimmy Sexton bending is over a table.

image.png.db8d5600ece231283dd9fe419a63b6a7.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

“This is an unbelievable place,” Littrell said in the days leading up to spring practice. “It’s a great community and I am in my footprint close to home. We are also on the same page with our administration. The sky is the limit for North Texas because of the people who are in place here with our administration and fans.”

drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

1. Houston (Holgerson) $4 million
2. Memphis (Norvell) $2.6 million
3. Navy (Niumatalolo) $2.163 million
4. Cincinnati (Fickell) $2 millon
5. North Texas (Littrell) $1.8+ million
6. Colorado State (Bobo) $1.8 million
7. UCF (Heupel) $1.7 million
8. Boise State (Harsin) $1.65 million
9. Tulane (Fritz) $1.629 million
10. Fresno State (Tedford) $1.55 million

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t like that we lowered the first year buyout but at least it seems the 30% stays throughout the contract instead of declining over time. At least that is how I read that. 

It seems that the buyout would’ve been 30% of his remaining base this year anyway did he leaves before feb 2020. The difference is that it will now be 30% of the higher remaining salary so I guess it could be a wash but Littrell comes out ahead. 

I hope that the staff he leaves here to coach the bowl game can actually win one before the new staff comes in and has to implement their system.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

It seems that the buyout would’ve been 30% of his remaining base this year anyway did he leaves before feb 2020. The difference is that it will now be 30% of the higher remaining salary so I guess it could be a wash but Littrell comes out ahead. 

I hope that the staff he leaves here to coach the bowl game can actually win one before the new staff comes in and has to implement their system.

The way I read it, it would have been 30% of the previous base for approximately 3 years with no extension. I don't have the brain power to do all the math...but I ballpark it a little less than $1 million. This deal is 30% of the base which is larger plus a year longer at 4 years. I ballpark that at $1.6 million. So if Littrell left after this season we'll receive about $600k more. We would have paid him $150k more in base for 1 year and $100k more in other comp. So if I'm right we'll be about $350k better off under this deal. 

The previous deal started at 40% and dropped each year by 10%. Seems like this just takes the average. But there's no doubt this deal was done when SL was involved at K-State so he'd have had more leverage. It might only be coming out now but undoubtedly was done when all the rumors were circulating.

• Upvote 4

This is a bad contract for NT. NT gets more if he leaves, but that more essentially only covers the amount NT pays more now. So NT carries all the risks of paying more without getting anything in return. There is simply no upside to this contract. None. Would have been better off letting it run as it was and spending this money on the assistants so we can keep more of them.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

49 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The news to me is Seth is still here and he is in the top 5 in G5 dollars .WOW! This not only shows our $$ commits to football, but will definitely attrack attention from other highly regarded coaches when the position opens up.

Agree 100%. That makes a big statement.

• Upvote 5