NIKE - YES OR NO  

49 members have voted

1. 1. WILL YOU LET THEIR RECENT DECISIONS IMPACT BUYING NIKE PRODUCTS

• YES, WILL NO LONGER BUY
    • NO, DOES NOT MATTER

Don't forget Kaepernik(sp?) started the "kneeling during the National Anthem" movement.  Now he won't wear a certain Nike shoe because of a Betsy Ross flag?  What a jerk!  I hope he never plays another down of football.  Even Arena Football.  F'him. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 6

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Don't forget Kaepernik(sp?) started the "kneeling during the National Anthem" movement.  Now he won't wear a certain Nike shoe because of a Betsy Ross flag?  What a jerk!  I hope he never plays another down of football.  Even Arena Football.  F'him. 

He is the same moron that was protesting "oppression" while wearing a shirt with Fidel Castro on the front.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, LongJim said:

It's trendy and lucrative to be offended by something  or someone these days.

Live footage of the thread collapsing under the weight of its own ironyexplosion building GIF by Cheezburger

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

On 7/2/2019 at 3:15 PM, UNTLifer said:

I agree and their sales will determine if their decision was wise or not.

Nike likely lost tens of millions in pulling the shoes. I think their sales will be just fine despite their decision.

• Upvote 1

Bottom Line - Nike does not care what you think. Period.  A U.S. consumer boycott of Nike will do absolutely ZERO good...just like 99.9% of all so-called consumer boycotts. One wonders just how much of Nike's total revenues come from U.S. consumer purchases? I am thinking not enough for them to truly care about.  Seems to me that today, most of their revenue come from overseas and team purchases.  It does, however, amaze me that any corporation would want to alienate a rather large portion of what consumer purchase potential they do have in the U.S.  Seems like such a counterproductive business decision.  But, again...one wonders if Nike hasn't just decided it would rather play politics than sell shoes?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

One wonders just how much of Nike's total revenues come from U.S. consumer purchases? I am thinking not enough for them to truly care about.  Seems to me that today, most of their revenue come from overseas and team purchases.

This^

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Bottom Line - Nike does not care what you think. Period.  A U.S. consumer boycott of Nike will do absolutely ZERO good...just like 99.9% of all so-called consumer boycotts. One wonders just how much of Nike's total revenues come from U.S. consumer purchases? I am thinking not enough for them to truly care about.  Seems to me that today, most of their revenue come from overseas and team purchases.  It does, however, amaze me that any corporation would want to alienate a rather large portion of what consumer purchase potential they do have in the U.S.  Seems like such a counterproductive business decision.  But, again...one wonders if Nike hasn't just decided it would rather play politics than sell shoes?

I bet they care what the average consumer thinks... to an extent.   But yeah, you're right about the extent of these boycotts' impact.
These high-profile companies will make decisions that piss off some on one side, and excite those on the other.   In the end, the uproar has little-to-no effect on their bottom line.
I've seen a whole bunch of pissed-off people on social media just today threatening to 'boycott' Home Depot because one of their founders was found to contribute heavily to Trump.   That will likely cause others to shop there even more, and neither group will have much of an affect on their bottom line.

These "boycotts" look really good to the people you're trying to impress on social media, whoever they are.   And some people REALLY prioritize that (what others think of them) over the simple/important things in life, sadly.   

So, carry on <xyz> product martyrs of the World!   Your applause on social media will always be short-lived, and you'll have no impact on anything in the grand scheme... meanwhile, life is passing you by.

EDIT: grammar mistakes.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Cancelling distribution and sales of these Betsy Ross Nikes could cause a major hit on the Viet Nam economy.  Jobs will be lost.

WGAF

This is your 3rd post in the thread, so... YGAF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 2:21 PM, UNTLifer said:

I haven't bought Nike in a while and won't.  Wish our uniforms were with Adidas.

I admire Arizona's governor for taking a stand.

So I recall my admiration of Arizona's Governor's stand against Nike.  Doug Ducey, should be Douchey, was spotted two days later wearing Nikes and tweeted that he and Arizona welcomed Nike's new plant with open arms.  Typical political B.S.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So I recall my admiration of Arizona's Governor's stand against Nike.  Doug Ducey, should be Douchey, was spotted two days later wearing Nikes and tweeted that he and Arizona welcomed Nike's new plant with open arms.  Typical political B.S.

so he valued jobs, industry and an influx of tax revenue over political grandstanding, flag-fetishes and faux-outrage. 

that's not gonna play well on twitter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

Do I think it was the right thing for Nike to do? No.

Do I really care?  No, I don't buy Nike's.  New Balance has way better running shoes IMHO -- they fit my feet really well.  I've worn them for about a decade now, and don't think I'll ever buy another brand.  

The worst are PUMA btw - never wear those.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1