Mean Green Add another Grad Transfer DB

Arizona State Alum via Blinn College.   Exciting young man.

Welcome aboard !     

Overview

• Great athlete with a variety of skills making him a complete defensive back prospect
  • Aggressively attacks the ball in the air helping set him up for interceptions
  • Improving physicality and makes up for his size with strong fundamentals in bump and run coverage
  • Fearless defender willing to cover any receiver and get involved in the run game

Junior College (Blinn College)

• Transfer from Blinn College, the same school that helped launch Cam Newton, Chris Johnson, Dede Westbrook and former ASU running back Marion Grice
  • Listed by ESPN as a four-star prospect, the No. 22 overall prospect and the No. 3 cornerback in the ESPN JUCO Top-50.
  • Recorded 25 tackles, four interceptions and four pass breakups in 10 games as a sophomore at Blinn
Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Welcome aboard Dominique!

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Looks like Littrell is going all in for Mason's last year.

3 Grad transfers at positions of need

It certainly looks that way.  Picking up 2CB grad transfers AFTER Spring Practice should tell you how Littrell & Reffett feel about their current CBs.

My only question is, how are we providing him a scholarship?  He’s a “1-&-done” guy right? So you can’t backdate his scholarship to next year, because he won’t even be here next year.  Something weird going on...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My only question is, how are we providing him a scholarship?  He’s a “1-&-done” guy right? So you can’t backdate his scholarship to next year, because he won’t even be here next year.  Something weird going on...

Unless he's coming as a PWO? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Surely not, right?  

Why would he accept a walk-on spot from UNT & pay for grad school instead of keeping his scholarship, or getting a scholarship from some other school?

Looks like he wasn't going to get much action if he stayed at ASU.

From https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/05/23/asu-football-cornerback-dominique-harrison-enters-transfer-portal/1207600001/

...saw spot duty in nine games but recorded just four tackles and two pass break-ups. He probably would have been relegated to the same role again this year with the Sun Devils returning starters Chase Lucas and Kobe Williams, both of whom will be starting for the third year.

Maybe he has the means to pay for school on his own and would rather get some playing time on an exciting team and any offers he got weren't to places that were of interest.  Also, if he's not planning on finishing grad school, he's only looking at 1 semester of 12 hrs. plus living expenses for 6 months.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

If I'm not mistaken, i was under the impression that Grad Transfers count against the 85 scholarship limit, but don't count towards any class limit.

I guess that would make sense, I was wondering about that when I saw Dykes loading up on Grad transfers at SMU.

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2019 at 6:30 PM, GreenN'walinsVet said:

If I'm not mistaken, i was under the impression that Grad Transfers count against the 85 scholarship limit, but don't count towards any class limit.

That would be nice, but no.

In NCAA parlance, an initial counter is a new scholarship player at a school. In football, a school can take up to 25 initial counters each academic year as long as it doesn’t go over the 85-scholarship maximum. This rule exists for several reasons:

• To keep teams from stockpiling the best players.

• To keep teams from oversigning and shuffling out less productive older players to cover their recruiting mistakes.

• To keep a new coach from running off an entire team so he can replace the players with his own recruits.

A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1