Mason is the Finest player in CUSA according to Underdog Dynasty(and me)

peanuts104

It is also noted that Rico Bussey was listed as the 10th best player in the conference.

From the article:

"Our number one spot on this list goes to the reigning two-time Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year in Mason Fine.

At 5-11, 185-pounds, it’s unquestioned that Fine is at UNT because he’s short in stature. After three seasons as an FBS quarterback, there’s plenty of programs who wish they had a signal-caller with his capabilities."

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/conference-usa/2019/7/1/18700582/conference-usa-football-2019-top-50-players-top-10-sage-lewis-mason-fine-reed-blankenship

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

It is also noted that Rico Bussey was listed as the 10th best player in the conference.

From the article:

"Our number one spot on this list goes to the reigning two-time Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year in Mason Fine.

At 5-11, 185-pounds, it’s unquestioned that Fine is at UNT because he’s short in stature. After three seasons as an FBS quarterback, there’s plenty of programs who wish they had a signal-caller with his capabilities."

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/conference-usa/2019/7/1/18700582/conference-usa-football-2019-top-50-players-top-10-sage-lewis-mason-fine-reed-blankenship

The absolute disrespect. 

Is it unquestioned that a guy like Cole Kelley was at a place like Arkansas because he was 6'6" even though he had rocks between his ears? Is it unquestioned that a kid like John Stephen Jones is at a place like Arkansas based solely on who is granddaddy is? After all, he's only 5'10", 175-pounds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Unnecessary...

How so? It’s accurate. And let’s also be honest that Fine was likely not our first or even second or third choice.

But it worked out well for both sides. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

How so? It’s accurate. And let’s also be honest that Fine was likely not our first or even second or third choice.

It's speculative at best. His stature and his geographical location played equal roles. If he was at Allen, Katy, SLC, Austin WL, Broken Bow, etc. he would've been plucked away by whoever. But because of the nature of his competition, size of school, AND stature he was considered a fringe player and a risk scholarship offer. 

The height quotes by coaches is just  them saving face vs their own fan base as to why he's not playing with X logo on his helmet. But there's more to it than that, always is.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The absolute disrespect. 

Is it unquestioned that a guy like Cole Kelley was at a place like Arkansas because he was 6'6" even though he had rocks between his ears? Is it unquestioned that a kid like John Stephen Jones is at a place like Arkansas based solely on who is granddaddy is? After all, he's only 5'10", 175-pounds. 

I think the author's intent and wording should probably have been:  " At 5-11, 185-pounds, it’s unquestioned that Fine is not at a P5 because he’s short in stature."  It does sound like a slight, but I think it was unintentional.

But, hopefully Fine lets the hate flow through him.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

If Fine was 5-11 185 coming out of High School there is a chance he could have been playing somewhere else besides UNT.  

I dont remember the stats but wasn't he more like 5-9,5-10 and 160 coming out of High School?

I thought he was 10' tall and bullet proof.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, 97and03 said:

From all the articles, he wasn’t even on our radar, but Littrell played with his hs coach at OU. They said once they put on his tape, their was no question who the guy they were going after was. It was Mason. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, LongJim said:

I think the author's intent and wording should probably have been:  " At 5-11, 185-pounds, it’s unquestioned that Fine is not at a P5 because he’s short in stature."  It does sound like a slight, but I think it was unintentional.

But, hopefully Fine lets the hate flow through him.

DearestUnsungGalapagossealion-size_restr

• Haha 1

The whole height thing is slowly changing as these shorties make it into the nfl, get highly drafted and win Super Bowls. 

It’s going to be a Fine season!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:48 PM, Harry said:

Unnecessary...

I usually agree with you Harry, but as much as I would like to agree, the comment was not out of line.  Both OU and OSU coaches have publicly stated that Mason's "size" kept them from offering. There is no doubt that Mason's first choices were either OU or Oklahoma State.  He is a loyal kid and Oklahoma is his state. Mason has proven both of these coaching staffs wrong and he will do so again this season.  He is MEAN GREEN now and has helped to raise this program in the eyes of many.  There are simply not enough good things one can say about Mason Fine and the way he handles himself both on and off the field. For me, he rates as a Mean Green favorite right up there with Joe Greene and Abner Haynes.

But, there is no issue, or should not be any issue, that he came to UNT after not being offered by the two in-state schools...because of his size. They were bot dead wrong, but, man does my Mean Green heart ever smile that they were!

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

I usually agree with you Harry, but as much as I would like to agree, the comment was not out of line.  Both OU and OSU coaches have publicly stated that Mason's "size" kept them from offering. There is no doubt that Mason's first choices were either OU or Oklahoma State.  He is a loyal kid and Oklahoma is his state. Mason has proven both of these coaching staffs wrong and he will do so again this season.  He is MEAN GREEN now and has helped to raise this program in the eyes of many.  There are simply not enough good things one can say about Mason Fine and the way he handles himself both on and off the field. For me, he rates as a Mean Green favorite right up there with Joe Greene and Abner Haynes.

But, there is no issue, or should not be any issue, that he came to UNT after not being offered by the two in-state schools...because of his size. They were bot dead wrong, but, man does my Mean Green heart ever smile that they were!

Bet OSU wished they had him last year 😉

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

That's cute. Because Kyler Murray was 5'11", 180-pounds coming out of HS and last I checked he played at OU (and ATM). 

These coaches say this to save face and not look like fools. 

If it wasn't said to purposefully disparage UNT then I would agree with you, but you and I know those snarky comments (because that's what they are) are said to belittle the university and athletic program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's cute. Because Kyler Murray was 5'11", 180-pounds coming out of HS and last I checked he played at OU (and ATM). 

If it wasn't said to purposefully disparage UNT then I would agree with you, but you and I know those snarky comments (because that's what they are) are said to belittle the university and athletic program. 

Other than size, your comparing apples to oranges...

Kyler Murray was at the helm of of a team that went undfeated for 3 straight  years and won 3 state championships in the highest classification in the state with the arguably the best football being played.

Mason Fine was at the helm of a small classification school in an ok football state and never won a state championship, nor is he anywhere near the pure athlete that murray is.

and again, if Mason would have been 5-11 180-185 coming out of high school like you say murray was then he may have very well ended up at OU or OSU, Mason was 5-8/5-9 and 165 coming out of high school

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not at all said to disparage either UNT nor Mason Fine. In fact, the quotes I saw were rather complimentary to both. They seemed to be saying...yep, we missed this one and the reason we did was......

Both programs are fully aware of the talented college QB Mason has become, and neither program has done anything to disparage UNT’s program in the last few years. Why would they? One of their own is the head coach who might just end up leading one of the two Oklahoma programs someday. Someday...like hopefully a very long time from now! Very long.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

and again, if Mason would have been 5-11 180-185 coming out of high school like you say murray was then he may have very well ended up at OU or OSU, Mason was 5-8/5-9 and 165 coming out of high school

4.3 speed doesn't hurt, either.

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2019 at 3:52 PM, GMG24 said:

Bet OSU wished they had him last year 😉

Indeed.  I am guessing there is a lot of "second guessing" going on. Glad Okie State and OU "passed" because he's Mean Green now!