Commit Kade Renfro drawing P5 interest

bdan2002

Hope we can hold onto this guy!!

http://www.buckeyesports.com/ohio-states-1-day-position-camp-brings-offers-prospects/

While the Buckeyes have a quarterback committed for 2020 in Scottsdale (Ariz.) Chaparral four-star Jack Miller (6-4, 210), who pledged July 1, another arm is on the table with depth at the position needed.One of Ohio State’s offer candidates for 2020 appears to be Austin “Kade” Renfro, who camped before he and his family left early in the afternoon and went inside the team facility with passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Yurcich.  The 6-3 1/2, 189-pounder from Stephenville, Texas, committed June 1 to North Texas but is attracting Power Five interest. He jumped on his offer from the in-state Mean Green, but the three-star quarterback camped Thursday at Texas A&M and has Florida State on deck Sunday for a camp. After he came back from an injury to start his junior season, Renfrow completed 105 of 163 passes (64.4 percent) for 1,840 yards with 17 touchdowns to nine interceptions in 2018 as Stephenville went 7-4 and reached the Texas Class 4A playoffs’ second round.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He needs to understand what these "P5s" are trying to do in adding him. The context word or phrase in this write up that was written by a person who covers OSU is "for depth." Hopefully he keeps that in mind. 

You would hope he understands that since he keeps re-tweeting about "leaving a legacy at UNT." Hard to do that at an already established P5 school. We'll see

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You would hope he understands that since he keeps re-tweeting about "leaving a legacy at UNT." Hard to do that at an already established P5 school. We'll see

He could leave a legacy here if hes the real deal... or could be "depth" at a P5 school....

If I am a star QB in HS, i want reps... I want to be the big man on campus... we could offer that.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to be too negative, but I think our odds of keeping him are dropping quickly. I just wonder how long the staff holds off on going after someone else? I know he is a really good player, but can we afford the risk of waiting and then have him sign elsewhere? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

giphy.gif

Wrong.   He could leave a legacy here or he could leave a legacy at a P5 somewhere.

Please, please, pretty please folks, we'll never get players worth anything here if this is the mindset you want them coming in with:  "Eh, I'm not good enough to start at Ohio State or Florida State.  I'll just go to UNT instead so I can play."   That's how you get to 1-11.

Amen.

Kade, come in, win bowl games/conference championships, break every record Mason Fine is setting, and be a badass for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 4

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Amen.

Kade, come in, win bowl games/conference championships, break every record Mason Fine is setting, and be a badass for the Mean Green.

That alone is a challenge he has to be up for.   And I want every QB recruit's mindset to be to accomplish just that.

Want to "leave a legacy" at UNT?  #6forHeisman has made sure you have your work cut out for you!   
The only thing he lacks?  A conference championship and bowl game win.   And he still has another crack at both of those things.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not to be too negative, but I think our odds of keeping him are dropping quickly. I just wonder how long the staff holds off on going after someone else? I know he is a really good player, but can we afford the risk of waiting and then have him sign elsewhere? 

Advantages we have first he is very excited about UNT, he is a word is his bond kind of kid ( hard to believe they exist) and he wants to play a in front of his family. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Advantages we have first he is very excited about UNT, he is a word is his bond kind of kid ( hard to believe they exist) and he wants to play a in front of his family. 

I took that from his earlier tweets and hope our intuition is correct.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

giphy.gif

Wrong.   He could leave a legacy here or he could leave a legacy at a P5 somewhere.

Please, please, pretty please folks, we'll never get players worth anything here if this is the mindset you want them coming in with:  "Eh, I'm not good enough to start at Ohio State or Florida State.  I'll just go to UNT instead so I can play."   That's how you get to 1-11.

Sorry man... Yes, i want that same kind of mindset too.  The reality is though... we are not Ohio State or Florida State.

In a world where a QB transfers from Alabama to Oklahoma bc hes not gonna get PT.  Thats the way it is... We should be glad a QB that is getting looks is wanting to come here and be a star.  Theres nothing wrong with thinking that 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Sorry man... Yes, i want that same kind of mindset too.  The reality is though... we are not Ohio State or Florida State.

In a world where a QB transfers from Alabama to Oklahoma bc hes not gonna get PT.  Thats the way it is... We should be glad a QB that is getting looks is wanting to come here and be a star.  Theres nothing wrong with thinking that 

If that's the way it shakes out, that's one thing.   I bet Ohio State was glad DeWayne Haskins wasn't thinking this way when he signed there and sat behind JT Barrett (who is a baller!), only to come in and dominate when needed & parlay his play into being the #5 overall pick.

Simply put, you can't have guys coming in thinking they're not good enough to play at a P5 school, or you're going to wind up with inferior players.

• Upvote 1

I agree with @MeanGreenTexan.  We need to quit our small-time thinking.  Kade saw something in North Texas or he wouldn't have committed in the first place.  By the time Kade is graduating from UNT, I firmly believe our program will be providing a great platform for our top athletes to go on to NFL careers.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Please do not get me wrong. I hope I am very very wrong on this issue. It is just seeing some of the way he has made his comments makes me think he is interested  in looking for at other options

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Please do not get me wrong. I hope I am very very wrong on this issue. It is just seeing some of the way he has made his comments makes me think he is interested  in looking for at other options

He went to several camps by invite.  He's good enough to be invited, which is awesome.

But once he gets to those camps, and hob-knobs with the coaches there... what's he supposed to do?  Not show any excitement or gratitude?   
How do you market yourself when trying to get the 4th star in your rating if you don't play the game?

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Remember these are not official visits, but camps he and his family have to pay for.  I believe he is shooting for a 4 star rating. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

kind of a bummer that this guy lists other players with their school commits, but just lists Renfro as 'Stephenville QB'

No worries. Mean Green faithful showing up on Twitter making sure the clown that posted that knows exactly where he's committed to play his college ball

• Thanks 1