North Texas to Mountain West?

Harry

I can not fathom how people would rather play in a regional conference JUST so they can go to all of the games. It's more important to go to all the road games than it is to get in a better conference. That is flat out selfish. 

Hell, why don't we just go play 6A high school?  Every game is within driving distance, with playoffs, and then all of the playoff games are driveable too!!!!!  

No wait, our fanbase wouldn't be able to get off work in time to drive up to Denton. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I can not fathom how people would rather play in a regional conference JUST so they can go to all of the games. It's more important to go to all the road games than it is to get in a better conference. That is flat out selfish. 

Well yeah.  I want to enjoy a football game.

Hell, why don't we just go play 6A high school?  Every game is within driving distance, with playoffs, and then all of the playoff games are driveable too!!!!!  

I'm down for this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, wardly said:

Well, TCU didn't have a choice. Decisions are easy when there are no options.

They didn't have a choice? At first, but after succeeding in the WAC, they went to CUSA--when it was actually really good. Then, when the Big East took the CUSA teams that were worth it for their footprint (Louisville, Cincy, USF), TCU jumped ship as soon as CUSA added SMU, Rice, Tulsa, and others, and went to the MWC. Those were choices...

And those choices allowed a Texas team to beat the hell out of Western-based teams with a lot of name recognition, leading to them getting into the P5. Other than Utah and Rutgers, TCU was the biggest winner in conference realignment. The raise they got was gigantic.

We won't do this, wardly, so don't worry. Overwhelmingly, our fanbase prefers the SBCUSA setup--its not even close. We prefer games in Louisiana because we can bring 100 people to those venues. We love being able to READ our game articles in the newspaper on Sunday mornings. Time zones are very hard for us because of the Big West Conference we were a part of 20+ years ago. Other than the Big West days and the early SBC days, when we had Western teams in the league, we have played in a regional (non Western) conference for almost 40 years with this crew of teams for more than one season:

SFA, SHSU, SW Texas State, UTSA, NMSU, UTEP, Rice, Nicholls State, McNeese State, Northwestern State, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayatte, La Tech, Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Marshall, UAB, Troy, South Alabama, USM, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Charlotte, and Old Dominion. 

Since this is what we have accepted, been forced to do, and preferred, its probably best that we recognize that playing in a conference with teams that have been good-to-great programs in the last 25 years (AFA, Wyoming, UNM, CSU, SDSU, Fresno, Utah State, Boise, Nevada, and Hawaii have all been ranked in that timeframe at some point) is too hard. The costs would be enormous to travel there, no doubt, and since we don't want to deal with those far-off venues, guys like me, who just believe that TCU gave schools like ours a blueprint, will just have to realize we are in the vast minority here--and make no mistake, we are in the vast minority. And, in a way to confirm that preference for the fanbase, it doesn't appear the MWC has even one iota of adding any CUSA teams anyway.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

They didn't have a choice? At first, but after succeeding in the WAC, they went to CUSA--when it was actually really good. Then, when the Big East took the CUSA teams that were worth it for their footprint (Louisville, Cincy, USF), TCU jumped ship as soon as CUSA added SMU, Rice, Tulsa, and others, and went to the MWC. Those were choices...

And those choices allowed a Texas team to beat the hell out of Western-based teams with a lot of name recognition, leading to them getting into the P5. Other than Utah and Rutgers, TCU was the biggest winner in conference realignment. The raise they got was gigantic.

We won't do this, wardly, so don't worry. Overwhelmingly, our fanbase prefers the SBCUSA setup--its not even close. We prefer games in Louisiana because we can bring 100 people to those venues. We love being able to READ our game articles in the newspaper on Sunday mornings. Time zones are very hard for us because of the Big West Conference we were a part of 20+ years ago. Other than the Big West days and the early SBC days, when we had Western teams in the league, we have played in a regional (non Western) conference for almost 40 years with this crew of teams for more than one season:

SFA, SHSU, SW Texas State, UTSA, NMSU, UTEP, Rice, Nicholls State, McNeese State, Northwestern State, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayatte, La Tech, Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Marshall, UAB, Troy, South Alabama, USM, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Charlotte, and Old Dominion. 

Since this is what we have accepted, been forced to do, and preferred, its probably best that we recognize that playing in a conference with teams that have been good-to-great programs in the last 25 years (AFA, Wyoming, UNM, CSU, SDSU, Fresno, Utah State, Boise, Nevada, and Hawaii have all been ranked in that timeframe at some point) is too hard. The costs would be enormous to travel there, no doubt, and since we don't want to deal with those far-off venues, guys like me, who just believe that TCU gave schools like ours a blueprint, will just have to realize we are in the vast minority here--and make no mistake, we are in the vast minority. And, in a way to confirm that preference for the fanbase, it doesn't appear the MWC has even one iota of adding any CUSA teams anyway.

It's hard to join a conference when you are not invited.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The problem is that people would chose a CUSA/SBC merger over the MWC if there was an option. 

To them that is not a problem. Are we trying to reduce travel expenses or not? Do we prefer a more regional conference or not? I just can't come up with a reason MVC would want to expand into another time zone. I have decided that UNT Administration is going to position itself to take advantage of P5 fallout [assuming there is any] in 2023/2025, and that merging CUSA/SBC is of no interest.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, wardly said:

To them that is not a problem. Are we trying to reduce travel expenses or not? Do we prefer a more regional conference or not? I just can't come up with a reason MVC would want to expand into another time zone. I have decided that UNT Administration is going to position itself to take advantage of P5 fallout [assuming there is any] in 2023/2025, and that merging CUSA/SBC is of no interest.

Those considerations shouldn't be primary in decision making.   First and foremost: What would put North Texas Athletics in the best position to succeed, both immediately, and long term?   

Do we have the funds to expand travel expenses?   If yes, and it puts us in a better position, we would have to jump at the opportunity!  If we don't, then we're pretenders anyway, and a "more regional" conference will just have to suffice.   But in watching how the AD has changed over the past few years (especially after President Smatresk took over, and GBR's appointment to the BOR), I think NT has put itself in a position financially to take that hit temporarily in order to advance. 

1 hour ago, wardly said:

It's hard to join a conference when you are not invited.

This is very true.   That's why NT has to continue to excel in C-USA to make ourselves more appealing.   A 4-win football season is not going to help that appearance, and needs to be rectified immediately.   MBB is doing just fine.   Olympic sports are more than doing their part.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, wardly said:

I heard Wren myself say he fully understands that really no one wants to see us in a Sunbelt 2.0 situation. Personally I think we need to shoot for the AAC because CUSA js looking no bueno.

• Upvote 3

I find it strange that some fans criticize other fans because they want a regional conference.   

The value of a regional conference is not so much the ease of fans attending games, but the cutting of cost for team travel. 

Comparing private very well funded TCU with NT who primarily pays for its athletics through student fees and tuition is of little value.  

What CUSA could easily do, is just divide the conference into two divisions and require no scheduling between the teams in one division versus the other.  The divisions would only complete at the championship level. 

I have no idea why we are wasting time debating the value of the MWC for NT in the most inopportune time in NCAA history.  The MWC has no interest in going East or including NT.

• Upvote 5

The AAC should be our conference of choice, after a Big 12 shakeup it might happen.  If that is not an option or if the Mountain West comes calling we have to go that route.  San Diego State versus La Mo, I do not think so.  MWC is a definite step up, besides if was easy everyone could do it!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Cooke County Kid said:

The AAC should be our conference of choice, after a Big 12 shakeup it might happen.  If that is not an option or if the Mountain West comes calling we have to go that route.  San Diego State versus La Mo, I do not think so.  MWC is a definite step up, besides if was easy everyone could do it!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

WIN GAMES!!!

What do we want, what do we need, what can we afford? It makes no economic sense to me to trade travel expenses in going from an East Coast conference to a West Coast conference. Unlike the USA government, UNT just can't print money. I can't put my finger on it but someone once posted an article showing that we had one of the lowest alumni annual giving to athletics in the state, not including capital improvements.

• Confused 1

I prefer an upgraded conference move. The economic realities may push schools to regional alignment. I could live with that I guess. If we did go with a SBC/CUSA west merger I would miss WKY and ODU in basketball and would love to find a way to play Marshall periodically. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

42 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

People think I'm crazy, but if the state of California doesn't play then I believe Washington and Oregon won't play, which means there are 4 Pac 12 schools remaining and about 4 MWC  schools not playing - not sure what Hawaii is looking like right now, for example.  It would be a weird marriage, but I can see a 1 year arrangement to help create a full schedule and get a TV deal out of it - the networks are going to be desperate for content.  It would be horrible for the other G5 schools, but if I was the MWC I'd be contacting these schools right now trying to gauge their interest.

• Upvote 2

Just joined this thread, but I’m taking MWC all day over a regional Sunbelt merger (not a bad idea though). When you get the chance to play Boise, Wyoming, San Diego State, Fresno, and Air Force you take it.

It makes our 9-4 seasons seem better and gives us the ability to get ranked when we do have a breakout season. Plus there always seems to be at least one ranked team in the MWC that does well all season long. If MWC doesn’t extend an invitation (which they probably won’t) then the sunbelt merger is a solid idea.

• Upvote 6

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:40 PM, UNTexas said:

I heard Wren myself say he fully understands that really no one wants to see us in a Sunbelt 2.0 situation. Personally I think we need to shoot for the AAC because CUSA js looking no bueno.

Look at the existing membership of CUSA. We are already in Sun Belt 2.0, which in football is ranked below Sun Belt 1.0. The question might not be if we would realign with SBC, but whether or not they would realign with CUSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

49 minutes ago, wardly said:

Look at the existing membership of CUSA. We are already in Sun Belt 2.0, which in football is ranked below Sun Belt 1.0. The question might not be if we would realign with SBC, but whether or not they would realign with CUSA.

Conference rankings are cyclical.  If Rice improves and a couple other C-USA programs get back on track the rankings will be fine.  Being aligned with La. Tech, Marshall, Southern MIss are good for UNT.  The Florida schools seem to be rising as is Charlotte and WKU is always strong.  Charlotte seems to be rising as well.  You need to remember that C-USA was not formed solely on the power of the programs at that time but more about their potential to grow and develop based on budgets, academics and markets.

Edited by meangreen11
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We gotta get back to work building our program. Can’t worry about everyone else.  I guarantee La Tech isn’t worried about us.  

Two years ago we embarrassed hog nation and the country took notice and we were the football apple of C-USA’s eye.  

We have a men’s basketball program at the top of the conference and a women’s softball program that’s starting to rattle some national cages.  

Our base is in place to take right back up where we left off and strive to the next levels in those sports.

I like our future.

• Upvote 5

Guess it's cheaper to fly to the east coast than west coast....

But until Judy and CUSA figure out how to generate more money for member schools the conference will remain stagnated.

I question if SUNBELT CONFERENCE.would even want to merge with all these schools that "dumped" them in there haste to move up the pecking order. SBC seems to be in a better place than CUSA right now.

MWC might like a foot print in DFW...Big TV market and fertile recruiting ground. Neil Smatresk came from UNLV...perhaps he still has connections within the conference

Just my opinions......

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

MWC might like a foot print in DFW...Big TV market and fertile recruiting ground. Neil Smatresk came from UNLV...perhaps he still has connections within the conference

they would absolutely love to be back in DFW, I doubt it would take much if any convincing on UNT's part

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1