North Texas to Mountain West?

Harry

On 6/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the idea is a hypothetical:  "If no AAC invite, but MWC extended one, do you stay in C-USA with your comfy Texas footprint and dance with the one who brought you?  Or do you risk being on an island with a substantial cost bump for more national attention"?

Otherwise, Give me the SEC!

Fortunately, that hypothetical, if it becomes reality, will be addressed correctly by WB and NS.

• Upvote 2

A couple  thoughts..,,

The Arkansas win was huge.  I don’t care if it was a down year for them.  We’ve played so many SEC teams that were ranked 1-5 , it was time to get one on a down year and we took advantage of it.  Great win for the Mean Green in hostile territory.  

Would schools leave the AAC to join the MWC or is it the the other way around.  Maybe you’d never get movement between the two, but I can guess which way would be the most likely.  

Either would be a step up, but I like the current C-USA west.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, keith said:

A couple  thoughts..,,

The Arkansas win was huge.  I don’t care if it was a down year for them.  We’ve played so many SEC teams that were ranked 1-5 , it was time to get one on a down year and we took advantage of it.  Great win for the Mean Green in hostile territory.  

Would schools leave the AAC to join the MWC or is it the the other way around.  Maybe you’d never get movement between the two, but I can guess which way would be the most likely.  

Either would be a step up, but I like the current C-USA west.  

You raise a good point @keith

Why not put all the Florida schools (FIU UCF USF FAU) in an eastern division or conference and put the Texas schools (UNT, UTEP, SMU, HOUSTON, RICE, NUT-SACK) in a New SW conference?

let the east schools like Temple, Old Dominion, MUTS Cincy WKU etc  join together and make for a more regional type of conference.  

There has to be some way to allow for G5 to build more regional rivalries.  The reason SMU has such crappy attendance is no one care about many of the teams they play just like we have issues with attendance against MUTS FAU etc.  

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Put us in the WAC!!!!

Ha! Just saw that Benson resigned from his Sun Belt position last year.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/sun-belt-conference/2018/8/15/17695114/sun-belt-conference-commissioner-karl-benson-steps-down-what-is-his-legacy-football

Benson leaves behind a conference in much better shape than when he found it. His major accomplishments include installing a Sun Belt Championship Game and going forward with a more geographical friendly conference by dropping Idaho and New Mexico State, a move current school presidents badly wanted.

Another accomplishment has to be the way Benson approached conference alignment in 2014. After losing FAU, FIU, Middle Tennessee, WKU and North Texas to Conference USA, Benson shrewdly added former FCS powers Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, and programs with massive potential in Texas State and Georgia State. The #FunBelt era began, and with it came recognizable programs with a fun brand of football.

• Upvote 3

On 6/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, Wag Tag said:

How many fans are at away games and how many more fans would show up at the Ap for Boise or Air Force? Largest away turnout I have seen was Arkansas .

So we're content totally tanking our away game attendance because the MWC is better?... and with our new better conference, but our new abysmal away game attendance we'll definitely get into the AAC in 10 years?  Call me selfish, but I'd rather go to away games for 5, 7, or 10 years in C-USA, than miss all those games in the MWC and wake up 10 years from now and still be in the Mountain West Conference with no hope for anything more.  I appreciate what people put together at Killarney's in Fairview for away games, but I'd much rather be butt in seat at the stadiums.

I'd much rather solve Apogee's attendance issues with the 250k+ alumni in DFW.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

So we're content totally tanking our away game attendance because the MWC is better?... and with our new better conference, but our new abysmal away game attendance we'll definitely get into the AAC in 10 years?  Call me selfish, but I'd rather go to away games for 5, 7, or 10 years in C-USA, than miss all those games in the MWC and wake up 10 years from now and still be in the Mountain West Conference with no hope for anything more.  I appreciate what people put together at Killarney's in Fairview for away games, but I'd much rather be butt in seat at the stadiums.

I'd much rather solve Apogee's attendance issues with the 250k+ alumni in DFW.  

There’s a thought: our attendance woes can be addressed by being better at who we are, and it shouldn’t matter who we play.

• Upvote 5

I think a new “8 team” NCAA playoff with an easier path for any G5 school to get to a major revenue/producing bowl would do wonders for us;  that is, we who at present have been relegated to the role of mostly re-arranging the deck chairs on the Good G-5 Conferences Ship Lollypop. 

And UNT?

(1). We have to keep having winning seasons

(2) Another 3 or 4 good recruiting classes as the last 2 which should create conference championships—subsequently winning bowl games & then...

(3) Apogee Stadium attendance must create an eventual need for a 2’nd deck on the Student Side which would also cosmetically balance the overall look of our fabulous stadium.  Then start scheduling OOC schools much like we began scheduling at the late (not so great) Fouts Field. (Heck! We even had Kansas State as s Mean Green opponent In Fout’s last season).

Just my .01cent.

GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

MWC or AAC, to the best of my knowledge NT has not been invited to either one.  It's off season, and hypothetical conference scenarios abound. 

It is great to dream, but I want NT to dominate CUSA in every sport.  That is at least possible and will definitely lead to better things. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Which matchup sends a tingle down your taint?:

UNT vs Rice

or

UNT vs San Diego St.

Give me the Aztecs 10 times out of 10. 

Every now and then Rice gets their shit together.  If the two teams in question were equal in value, Rice wins IMO because of proximity and their history they have from the SWC.

SDSU doesn't really appeal to me much, except I have been to a game (versus UTEP) at Qualcomm.  The stadium is humonguos.  But, like Fouts, you feel like you're a mile away from the field.

They do lay claim to Marshall Faulk, though.

We can still root for locals, right? Texas football is simply better when Rice is competitive.

EDIT: Follow up thought on SWC: after going to a Rally House recently, I am amazed at how that SWC culture still hangs around.  That conference clearly lingers on the minds of the 35+ year old fan.

I am no fan of MWC, but I also think we are on the same sinking ship in this sea of realignment, and Judy is the worst captain I've ever seen.  Worse than Karl Benson? That is a topic worthy of discussion.

Anyway yeah, root for Texas schools.  We are all better off for it.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Every now and then Rice gets their shit together.  If the two teams in question were equal in value, Rice wins IMO because of proximity and their history they have from the SWC.

SDSU doesn't really appeal to me much, except I have been to a game (versus UTEP) at Qualcomm.  The stadium is humonguos.  But, like Fouts, you feel like you're a mile away from the field.

They do lay claim to Marshall Faulk, though.

We can still root for locals, right? Texas football is simply better when Rice is competitive.

EDIT: Follow up thought on SWC: after going to a Rally House recently, I am amazed at how that SWC culture still hangs around.  That conference clearly lingers on the minds of the 35+ year old fan.

I am no fan of MWC, but I also think we are on the same sinking ship in this sea of realignment, and Judy is the worst captain I've ever seen.  Worse than Karl Benson? That is a topic worthy of discussion.

Anyway yeah, root for Texas schools.  We are all better off for it.

I’m just going off name recognition. SDSU is known for other sports besides football.  Late night west coast games could be plus for TV viewers in Texas. What other Texas schools would be playing on Thursday night at 9pm? I love watching those late night football games midweek. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Rice. It wasn’t so long ago they won a natty in baseball plus their academic reputation alone is worth it.

We’re talking money sports. Baseball doesn’t come close to moving the meter like basketball and football. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

We’re talking money sports. Baseball doesn’t come close to moving the meter like basketball and football. 

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Rice. It wasn’t so long ago they won a natty in baseball plus their academic reputation alone is worth it.

And I am not sure what national championships MWC teams have won recently. You said “other sports than football” so I did not know you only meant revenue sports (which for G5 is likely none).  In addition to the above bolded of course. But yes I am aware MWC schools have done well in other sports and in football. 

But I still stand by my original statement that Rice is the better opponent for NT and most of its fans. Most causal fans don’t know much about SDSU but they do about Rice. Plus they will not stay up late on a school night to watch us no matter the opponent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

13 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

UNT vs Rice

or

UNT vs San Diego St.

Neither give me that--hopefully Got5onit specific--tingle, but Rice all day long. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

UNT vs Rice

or

UNT vs San Diego St.

I honestly do not care about SDSU and also know that I am unable to drive to a game at their house should i so choose. 

• Upvote 1

It was on GMG at the end of FB season last year...wasnt CUSA West the next to the lowest rated conference with the east right above??? And all those Apogee sellouts too!

I guess if we want to remain in mediocrity....hey we're here!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

It was on GMG at the end of FB season last year...wasnt CUSA West the next to the lowest rated conference with the east right above??? And all those Apogee sellouts too!

I guess if we want to remain in mediocrity....hey we're here!

Highest attendance in school history?

• Upvote 1

I don't know how many of you spend time on the C-USA board, but I do, and it's commonly pointed out that C-USA is the worst of the FBS conferences. The days of Houston and UCF are gone. Conference USA is now the Sun Belt 2.0 and the new Sun Belt is actually a higher rated conference by most analyses.

I am happy to play other Texas schools as much as anyone, but when those Texas schools are UT offspring schools (UTSA and UTEP) it just gives off a very small-time vibe and Rice just isn't committed to a winning football program. I'd much rather be in a stronger conference whose name actually commands some respect from causal fans. C-USA is a doormat conference and I know that we haven't even won it yet, which also makes us a doormat, but if we're talking about bettering our athletics programs, the Mountain West is a big step in the right direction. Away attendance is a small factor, in my opinion.

For those advocating C-USA over the Mountain West, is C-USA the conference we want to be associated with? It can be argued whether or not the Orlando Sentinel and other publications are accurate in their predictions and evaluations, but the point is, this is how our conference is perceived, and perception is extremely important. Is this the best we can hope for?

Average Orlando Sentinel Countdown Ratings Per Conference (As of 7/3/2019)

SEC    32.21
PAC-12    42.33
B1G    46.04
BIG-12    47.20
ACC    48.32

AAC    71.09
MWC    79.62
SBC    93.05
MAC    98.33
C-USA    99.64

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, Joshdude182 said:

I don't know how many of you spend time on the C-USA board, but I do, and it's commonly pointed out that C-USA is the worst of the FBS conferences. The days of Houston and UCF are gone. Conference USA is now the Sun Belt 2.0 and the new Sun Belt is actually a higher rated conference by most analyses.

I am happy to play other Texas schools as much as anyone, but when those Texas schools are UT offspring schools (UTSA and UTEP) it just gives off a very small-time vibe and Rice just isn't committed to a winning football program. I'd much rather be in a stronger conference whose name actually commands some respect from causal fans. C-USA is a doormat conference and I know that we haven't even won it yet, which also makes us a doormat, but if we're talking about bettering our athletics programs, the Mountain West is a big step in the right direction. Away attendance is a small factor, in my opinion.

For those advocating C-USA over the Mountain West, is C-USA the conference we want to be associated with? It can be argued whether or not the Orlando Sentinel and other publications are accurate in their predictions and evaluations, but the point is, this is how our conference is perceived, and perception is extremely important. Is this the best we can hope for?

Average Orlando Sentinel Countdown Ratings Per Conference (As of 7/3/2019)

SEC    32.21
PAC-12    42.33
B1G    46.04
BIG-12    47.20
ACC    48.32

AAC    71.09
MWC    79.62
SBC    93.05
MAC    98.33
C-USA    99.64

Crazy to think that where we were is better than where we are. It's almost starting to be turned into an insult to the Belt to claim ourselves as the Belt 2.0. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I’m just going off name recognition. SDSU is known for other sports besides football.  

I am talking money sports.  Other sports don't come close to moving the meter like basketball and football.

SDSU has made some noise in basketball, but I speculate that Rice's SWC history carries more weight around here than anything SDSU brings.  And Rice's academic recognition has the runaway win.

EDIT: does endowment come into play when conference's are looking at school membership? Cuz, you know, Rice's is HUGE.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I am talking money sports.  Other sports don't come close to moving the meter like basketball and football.

SDSU has made some noise in basketball, but I speculate that Rice's SWC history carries more weight around here than anything SDSU brings.  And Rice's academic recognition has the runaway win.

EDIT: does endowment come into play when conference's are looking at school membership? Cuz, you know, Rice's is HUGE.

The whole SWC thing is overplayed, outdated hyperbole. The losers of that conference (UH, Rice, SMU) try to keep it relevant because those are their glory days. But it's irrelevant and we should stop giving it credence. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The whole SWC thing is overplayed, outdated hyperbole. The losers of that conference (UH, Rice, SMU) try to keep it relevant because those are their glory days. But it's irrelevant and we should stop giving it credence. 

Like I’ve said before, I walk into any sports apparel department and feel like the SWC is still around.  It doesn’t feel like it’s irrelevant at all.