So, The Texas Sports Hall of Fame, in Waco, is the first to receive the New Dave Campbell Texas Football. Now granted that we are non to happy of UT's Sam Ehlinger on the cover and not Our Mason Fine They do have us going 9-3 overall (7-1 conference) in the 2019 Season. In fact, Greg Tepper of Texasfootball.com ask "Can a Texas team finally break Through in Wide-open C-USA?" He goes on to say that "The Lone Star State's best hope appears to be North Texas."

Small Breakdown:

Mean Green Offense :

QB's = A+

RB's = A

OLine = B-

Receivers = A

Defense:

D-line = C

LB's = D+

D-backs = B

Special Teams = C

Game of the Year: Mean Green at Southern Miss Oct 12. that being the conference loss.

Let the debating continue....

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

This can’t happen for us to get to 9-3.

Rick

In theory I agree with you. But in the modern game and with this schedule, I think it is possible even with at best an average defense. It would mean the offense would have to operate flawlessly against a couple of teams (SMUt, LaTech for example) but it is possible if we are putting up 40 points a game. 

Mind you, I am not advocating for this approach but we can beat UTSA, ACU, UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, UAB, MUTS with a high-powered offense and an average defense. We would need a couple of bounces to go out way to add LaTech and SMUt to the win column. I am not counting on that, but it’s not that much of a stretch if the offense can pick up short yardage 3rd down and finish drives. 

• Upvote 1

Also forgot to mention.

All-Texas College Team

Best QB Mason Fine

First Team Offense:

Mason Fine, Rico Bussey, DeAndre Torrey

Second Team:

Kelvin Smith, Sosaia Mose, Elex Woodworth

Note: Sam Ehlinger UT QB and cover model on Second Team.

First Team Defense:

Khairi Muhammad

Second Team:

LaDarius Hamilton

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, rhaprez03-04 said:

Also forgot to mention.

All-Texas College Team

Best QB Mason Fine

First Team Offense:

Second Team:

First Team Defense:

Khairi Muhammad

Second Team:

LaDarius Hamilton

I really really hope Hambone has a big break out year and becomes draft material. He shows what UNT player development can achieve.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Joe Smith said:

When you graduate two linebackers who were good it raises questions.

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

Agree. 

And for a school that has produced a long line of great LBs, our current LB situation is disappointing. Hopefully they outplay the prediction. 

LB is one of the easily positions to find productive players.  NT lost a couple of very good linebackers. but has some depth returning and a very promising group of recruits.  It will take a few games but I expect the linebackers and total defense to actually be better than last years. 

The key to the defense is the front three and they should be very good.  The secondary loses seem to have been satisfactorily addressed and I think that group will be better.  

NT's hybrid defense does depend strongly on linebacker types.  The key is that a number of freshmen linebackers are going to have to play early and well 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, the green rokemi said:

And a high flying offense is not going to work with a B- oline. I really hope they get in sync early

We should have an upgrade at LT in Plantin, and I think Brammer will fill in just fine for Mayfield at RT.  The interior line is very good.  This grade (if Plantin’s the real deal) will prove to be too low.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We should have an upgrade at LT in Plantin, and I think Brammer will fill in just fine for Mayfield at RT.  The interior line is very good.  This grade (if Plantin’s the real deal) will prove to be too low.

I think @MeanGreenTexan is right if we can just have adequate tackle play we should be pretty decent.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I think @MeanGreenTexan is right if we can just have adequate tackle play we should be pretty decent.

Curious how the increased focus on the TE position will impact line play, as well.  I haven't watched Reader's offense, so I don't really know.  Does he split them out on every down, or use them to help chip or run block on occasion?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Curious how the increased focus on the TE position will impact line play, as well.  I haven't watched Reader's offense, so I don't really know.  Does he split them out on every down, or use them to help chip or run block on occasion?

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/chalk-talk-why-bodie-reeder-should-be-osus-next-offensive-coordinator/

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CK2 said:

9-3 is a breeze with that cupcake schedule. Y'all are going to lose to us and Cal. SMU and Southern Miss are the only toss ups.

I ordered my pizza 30 min ago. Why haven’t you delivered it? I swear you keep this up, dominos is going to fire you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, rhaprez03-04 said:

Also forgot to mention.

All-Texas College Team

Best QB Mason Fine

First Team Offense:

Second Team:

First Team Defense:

Khairi Muhammad

Second Team:

LaDarius Hamilton

Excellent publicity for UNT. If we can keep Mason upright, we will be in for an incredible year. 

• Upvote 1