Does UNT really want to join the AAC?

2 minutes ago, TCC Mean Green said:

The way Arkansas got into the SEC wasn’t facilities or a great record in football. It was because they travel ...away games they show up and out.  They would have Tyson as a sponsor and all food was free.  We knew where the pre-game event was, there was no sign in, and everyone called the hogs. Even if you wore a shirt from another team, they embraced you, the college football fan.  

I know this because I taught there for over 12.5 years and was involved in athletics and academics. 

So, you want to join the AAC, it’s all about the money!  Travel to as many away games as you can, and we will get an invite. 

Show up and everything else will take care of itself!  GMG

They build a great fanbase being the only non-Texas member of the SWC for decades.   Plus being the only D1 team in the state for most of those year.  Add no professional close competition.  

Advantages that NT is far from having.  Basically having the only program in the state pays dividends that are hard to match.  

Yes, Arkansas build a great tradition; but they didn't exactly start from a lower classification with a mass of sports competition in their state. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Well I got my bat out and will begin beating this horse again. Some want to stay, CUSA, some want to go. I say if you don't dream to play with the big boys you ain't never going to get there. 

You have to have an invitation to play in any conference.   

I can't believe there are any at NT or fans that wouldn't want NT in the AAC if the chance happened. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Good post.  I think there's a lot of truth to "showing up and out" to make yourself attractive to other conferences.  It's all about the $.  The other thing to consider is how UNT is perceived as an academic destination.  Beating the drum of "Tier 1" is a good step.  UNT has to be seen as a value-add for the conference from both an athletics and scholastic standpoint. 

Filling Apogee and TRAVELING WELL will open eyes.  Bowl attendance opens eyes.  If UNT fills hotel beds and restaurants at away destinations and is seen as an academically desirable school (which it is), that influences a lot of folks.

DFW location is huge as well, despite differing opinions.

• Upvote 6

Depends on what your aim is. More money? AAC would be about $10 mil more in revenues and expenditures. 

Championships? UCF is as well positioned as Liberty.

Conference reshuffle? If - IF the big boys have to raid the AAC, it's probably the most unstable conference in the country. 

Perception? It's a G5 conference. We're acting like a bunch of third class passengers on the Titanic arguing over the most prestigious place to drown.

As I see it, our best option comes as a result of contraction, not expansion. At some point, teams like Tulsa or Rice will go the way of UConn. 

• Upvote 5

For me its AAC or CUSA.

While at times the MWC sounds enticing... I am not sure I want to trade a "better" conference for games that would be tough to attend/watch.

Yes, we are getting bent over as far as missing out on some revenue streams, but I like that we have a few teams within a half days drive to see away games.  

If I thought the MWC would be a temporary thing... maybe.

But the AAC is the goal for sure

• Upvote 2

To answer the question originally posed, yes.  We would join if the opportunity presented itself.  I'm sure every member of CUSA would answer the same way.  This should not be viewed as a negative against CUSA or any of its current members, it's just the way it is.

• Upvote 3