DRC: Thoughts on what UConn leaving the AAC could mean for UNT

Brett Vito

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good thing they aren’t the only school in the AAC.  

However, I doubt Houston would be excited about us joining either.

If we get a chance to present I like our chances. We know all the positives with also having one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. You look at the lower half of the conf and they really don’t have much to offer now or in the future! I also believe Houston could be a supporter.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2

There is absolutely no way that SMU will ever allow this to happen.  They have and always will look down their noses at us and would rather cancel the program than to admit that we are equals in any way.  To be in a conference with us is unthinkable to them.

I'm not sure I would want to anyway.  We complain now about natural rivals.  Other than SMU and Houston that we play anyway, name one school that would attract our alumni attention.  I can't see our Mean Green nation getting any more excited about playing Temple or Tulane than they do Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10

25 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

There is absolutely no way that SMU will ever allow this to happen.  They have and always will look down their noses at us and would rather cancel the program than to admit that we are equals in any way.  To be in a conference with us is unthinkable to them.

I'm not sure I would want to anyway.  We complain now about natural rivals.  Other than SMU and Houston that we play anyway, name one school that would attract our alumni attention.  I can't see our Mean Green nation getting any more excited about playing Temple or Tulane than they do Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky.

At least they have airports!

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

There are exactly ZERO conference usa teams that would draw more attention than UCF or Navy.   And I’ll take SMU, Houston, Tulane and Tulsa over any of the “local” CUSA teams.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

There is absolutely no way that SMU will ever allow this to happen. 

I still don’t understand this. If SMU is in a room with their AAC peers and all of them want us, what weight does SMU have to throw around and stop it? After what we did to them on the football field last year, too...

I think with each passing season, this mantra that SMU admins bully us out of everything becomes weaker.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I still don’t understand this. If SMU is in a room with their AAC peers and all of them want us, what weight does SMU have to throw around and stop it? After what we did to them on the football field last year, too...

I think with each passing season, this mantra that SMU admins bully us out of everything becomes weaker.

We have to look at this more than football, our softball and women's soccer are and have been very very good for a long time... I'm concerned we have not done enough quite yet.. while on the absolutely right path I think the doubters would look at us with past perceptions in the major sports. 

That said, hell yeah get us in a different conference. I'm not even 100% sure CUSA is much better than the sun belt...

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The scenario would not likely be all the presidents and A.D.s saying, "Oh, boy!  We REALLY want UNT!!"

But if the others were slightly leaning toward UNT, an adamantly opposed SMU would be plenty to make them lean in another direction.

All that aside, the fact that SMU and the DFW TV market is already in the conference is probably enough to make the American's commissioner, presidents, and A.D.s look in another direction even before SMU offers their input.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The scenario would not likely be all the presidents and A.D.s saying, "Oh, boy!  We REALLY want UNT!!"

But if the others were slightly leaning toward UNT, an adamantly opposed SMU would be plenty to make them lean in another direction.

All that aside, the fact that SMU and the DFW TV market is already in the conference is probably enough to make the American's commissioner, presidents, and A.D.s look in another direction even before SMU offers their input.

What argument would smu use to keep us out?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Market? I would argue the metroplex doesn't give a flip about smu athletically and they would have to come up with some pretty concrete reasons to keep us out. Pitching a hissy fit doesn't concern me. If smut wants to talk history, what have they done since the seventies? Not much. Their history is 70 - 80 years ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

1.  We already have the DFW TV market covered.

2.  We don't want them.

What argument did they use in the 70's to keep NT out of the SWC?

They can’t even sell half their stadium, the covered DFW argument doesn’t fly.

• Upvote 5

Just now, Hunter Green said:

Market? I would argue the metroplex doesn't give a flip about smu athletically and they would have to come up with some pretty concrete reasons to keep us out. Pitching a hissy fit doesn't concern me. If smut wants to talk history, what have they done since the seventies? Not much. Their history is 70 - 80 years ago.

You do not appear to be aware of how TV markets and conference affiliations work.  Why did the Big 10 take Rutgers several years ago when there were far superior options, as far as athletic accomplishment?  Because Rutgers was close enough to bring in the NYC TV market.  Do a large percentage of people in the NYC market watch Rutgers football?  Of course not.

The same way, we were C-USA's first choice back when the openings came up in 2013 because we gave them access to the DFW market, not because a large percentage of DFW TV viewers watch UNT football.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1