UConn about to bolt. Who gets golden ticket?

I don't see the AAC adding us because I do not see them adding another team from the DFW metro to the conference. If anyone from CUSA goes to AAC, I see it being Marshall. Not that they are better than anyone else, it just makes sense to me because of the market and location. They have some decent history and other than WVU, there is nothing else going in the market. If not them, I can see UAB, Old Dominion, or USM based on location.  I just do not see AAC saturating the DFW market with another team. Our best bet out of CUSA is MWC.

• Upvote 3

"UConn returning to the Big East is great for college basketball

That is according to a report from Digital Sports Desk that has since been confirmed by The Athletic, Stadium and the Hartford Courtant. The plan, according to the report, is for UConn to get the basketball program back into the Big East Conference for the 2020-21 season, but that nothing can be made official until UConn finds a place for its football program to land. Stadium is reporting that the rest of UConn’s athletic programs, including their powerhouse women’s basketball team, will return to the Big East as well."

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_news&param2=b04c9f74-bf71-4b58-a787-3fc3152e5d07&param3=news_~US~appfocus1&param4=d-lp0-bb8~Firefox~UConn+to+the+Big+East~D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E&param1=20181105&p=UConn+to+the+Big+East&type=cknone-tg061719-banner::IFVDb25uIHRvIHRoZSBCaWcgRWFzdA==::IFVDb25uIHRvIHRoZSBCaWcgRWFzdA==::t

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dml7007 said:

UCON most likely will play independent.  The question is if we get considered to replace them. 

Our biggest case to being added is convincing them that it will enhance our rivalry with SMU. But I feel like that is unfortunately a long shot.

• Upvote 3

Just now, UNT'19 said:

Our biggest case to being added is convincing them that it will enhance our rivalry with SMU. But I feel like that is unfortunately a long shot.

This, plus it would free up a non-conference slot in our schedule for a new series. It would be benefits galore for us, but the AAC would only have little gain from adding us, and SMU would likely try to block anyways.

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute.  Don’t they know they’re leaving behind a P6 conference???!   

If they can just get a few good recruiting classes together they could win the American Airlines Conference and play for a national...hahaha....I can’t even type that with a straight face

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

This, plus it would free up a non-conference slot in our schedule for a new series. It would be benefits galore for us, but the AAC would only have little gain from adding us, and SMU would likely try to block anyways.

Yeah exactly. We would have to somehow prove that the rivalry enhancement would generate a crazy amount of revenue for the conference... as well as SMU. We would have to convince them DFW can be a Los Angeles.

i.e.  USC and UCLA in the Pac-12.

Edited by UNT'19
  • Upvote 2

Just now, UNT'19 said:

Yeah exactly. We would have to somehow prove that the rivalry enhancement would generate a crazy amount of revenue for the conference... as well as SMU.

That would require a ton of advertising from both UNT and SMU, and I don't think SMU would want to put any effort into that.

All I can say is that if Wren is able to convince the AAC and SMU it's a good idea, he deserves a lifetime contract.

• Upvote 6

UNT has a good case (good budget, football committed, recent success in football/basketball, in DFW, good facilities, etc.) but I am going to be honest and tell you UNT’s 3 biggest things hurting our chances of getting the promotion right now:
1) Proximity to SMU. SMU doesn’t like us (especially after last year) so they would likely lobby against us. Also, SMU is also in DFW so there’s a question of how many eyes could be gained by adding another DFW member.
2) UNT doesn’t have baseball right now. Yeah it’s in the master plan sure, but lots of schools have lots of stuff in their master plan. Baseball is about 5 years away for us at this point. 
3) How sustainable is UNT’s current success? The last 3-4 years have been some of the best in UNT athletic’s history with an AD who loves sports, a president who loves sports, and a BoR who love sports. This hasn’t happened before at UNT. So is this the new norm or is this a blip in time where athletics is just getting very well funded and won’t in the future? 
I would say those are probably the 3 biggest marks against UNT, if you disagree or think of something else, I’m always open to feedback, but I think that’s my best unbiased opinion. I do think UNT would be a good overall addition for the AAC, but can definitely understand why they would be apprehensive and say no.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I am just wondering if this triggers more.  For example, would Temple consider going back to the Big East?  UCONN playing Villanova, Providence...it just sounds right and makes sense.  If they do the Indy thing would Temple consider the same.  This could cause some serious upheaval in the AAC which leads to upheaval in CUSA.  

It is serious time to reset a new Texas/Southeast based league.  

GMG

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

UNT has a good case (good budget, football committed, recent success in football/basketball, in DFW, good facilities, etc.) but I am going to be honest and tell you UNT’s 3 biggest things hurting our chances of getting the promotion right now:
1) Proximity to SMU. SMU doesn’t like us (especially after last year) so they would likely lobby against us. Also, SMU is also in DFW so there’s a question of how many eyes could be gained by adding another DFW member.
2) UNT doesn’t have baseball right now. Yeah it’s in the master plan sure, but lots of schools have lots of stuff in their master plan. Baseball is about 5 years away for us at this point. 
3) How sustainable is UNT’s current success? The last 3-4 years have been some of the best in UNT athletic’s history with an AD who loves sports, a president who loves sports, and a BoR who love sports. This hasn’t happened before at UNT. So is this the new norm or is this a blip in time where athletics is just getting very well funded and won’t in the future? 
I would say those are probably the 3 biggest marks against UNT, if you disagree or think of something else, I’m always open to feedback, but I think that’s my best unbiased opinion. I do think UNT would be a good overall addition for the AAC, but can definitely understand why they would be apprehensive and say no.

Expansion may not happen until 5-10 year time frame anyway. The AAC may be fine with 11 members for now and not rushing in to a decision. This could help a school like UNT which is trending upwards in all sports and as university.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I don't see the AAC adding us because I do not see them adding another team from the DFW metro to the conference. If anyone from CUSA goes to AAC, I see it being Marshall. Not that they are better than anyone else, it just makes sense to me because of the market and location. They have some decent history and other than WVU, there is nothing else going in the market. If not them, I can see UAB, Old Dominion, or USM based on location.  I just do not see AAC saturating the DFW market with another team. Our best bet out of CUSA is MWC.

Regarding the MWC, it is probably more likely that the MWC loses a member to the AAC and UNT gets invited as a replacement. Not sure how attractive the already top heavy MWC would be losing one of it’s top programs.In 5-10 years, CUSA may be better than the MWC.

Edited by EagleTech
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, NM Green said:

For example, would Temple consider going back to the Big East?  UCONN playing Villanova, Providence...it just sounds right and makes sense.  If they do the Indy thing would Temple consider the same. 

A big difference between UConn and Temple is found in their respective football programs.  Temple has had pretty solid football in recent years while UConn has been terrible.  Also, Temple has played their entire history at the highest level while UConn only jumped up from FCS about 10 or so years ago.  For UConn, moving their football to FCS is a viable option (which I see as more likely than FBS independent)...I don't see that with Temple.

Also, UConn's men and women's basketball programs are strong enough to compensate for a lower-level football program.

• Upvote 1