UConn about to bolt. Who gets golden ticket?

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Army would a great get for them. People show up to games when Army comes to town. They'd love to showcase the Army-Navy game as a conference game each season. And you can make Army, Navy, ECU, Temple, UCF and USF in the east, with SMU, Tulsa, UH, Tulane, Cincy, and Memphis in the West a fairly nice conference for football. Then add in VCU and you have a nice hoops conference, too.

I think you've said that 3 times now in this thread. And I feel like I have to disagree each time you say it. Army is just the latest triple option flavor of the week. Triple option is a good offense if you're trying to go 6-6 and bowling without recruiting restrictions as the service academies have. With those restrictions, Army & Navy will not have any kind of sustainability. They'll take turns going 6-6 in 2 to 3 year spurts while the other goes 3-9 given they're both playing FBS schedules. VMI, Morgan State, Fordham, UMASS, Liberty, Colgate, Lafayette, etc. This is the schedule their feasting on while somehow garnering top 25 votes. Take that schedule away, and they're 3-9, like Navy was last year. And no conference wants 2 triple option offenses in the same conference to have to prepare for. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think you've said that 3 times now in this thread. And I feel like I have to disagree each time you say it. Army is just the latest triple option flavor of the week. Triple option is a good offense if you're trying to go 6-6 and bowling without recruiting restrictions as the service academies have. With those restrictions, Army & Navy will not have any kind of sustainability. They'll take turns going 6-6 in 2 to 3 year spurts while the other goes 3-9 given they're both playing FBS schedules. VMI, Morgan State, Fordham, UMASS, Liberty, Colgate, Lafayette, etc. This is the schedule their feasting on while somehow garnering top 25 votes. Take that schedule away, and they're 3-9, like Navy was last year. And no conference wants 2 triple option offenses in the same conference to have to prepare for. 

Army brings eyeballs and prestige, just like Navy does. Nobody else in the G5 can match them.

Its very telling that national reports and other boards report Army at the top of the list. 

The AAC may not even expand at all, but we aren’t going there if they do.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Uconn could have set up some sort of lottery for selecting their AAC membership replacement. Tickets could have been sold for say, $1M to each school that wanted to take their place. They could have easily raised over $100M. Then they could've bought a membership in the ACC, SEC, or probably NBA.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I agree with 99% of this.  Here's the 1% of disagreement.

Related image

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Harry said:

If Fine has not been injured we would have made it more of a game.

There's no way of knowing.  You know what else is possible? Fine could have not been injured and proceeded to have the worst day of his career.

I get it though, it's offseason talk about a painful loss.  Carry on.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There's no way of knowing.  You know what else is possible? Fine could have not been injured and proceeded to have the worst day of his career.

I get it though, it's offseason talk about a painful loss.  Carry on.

Fine ain’t throwing 1TD/4INTs... even on his worst day.

I don’t think anyone is saying we definitely would have won, but it would have been a different ballgame for sure.

I really would have loved to see a shootout between Fine & Love.  It would have been extremely entertaining football, even if we lost.  But instead all we got was Love shooting us repeatedly while our backup QBs handed him more bullets.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Army is just the latest triple option flavor of the week. Triple option is a good offense if you're trying to go 6-6 and bowling without recruiting restrictions as the service academies have. With those restrictions, Army & Navy will not have any kind of sustainability. They'll take turns going 6-6 in 2 to 3 year spurts while the other goes 3-9 given they're both playing FBS schedules.

Navy has 2 losing seasons in the last 16 years and three 10+ win seasons in that timeframe.  Only 1 of those 14 winning seasons was 7 wins. The rest were 8+. I'd say thats some sustainability and much better than your 6-6 comment

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Navy has 2 losing seasons in the last 16 years and three 10+ win seasons in that timeframe.  Only 1 of those 14 winning seasons was 7 wins. The rest were 8+. I'd say thats some sustainability and much better than your 6-6 comment

On 6/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Maybe Paul Johnson @ GT is a better parallel for what we would get with an option system?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

If Fine has not been injured we would have made it more of a game.

If you can use that excuse... if King had not been injured. If top 10 draft pick and All American Oliver had not been injured. If 4 other DLinemen had not been injured.  Nope...   on top of all of that, UH played like garbage quitting on their horrible coach. Thank goodness they did or he might have been back

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Maybe Paul Johnson @ GT is a better parallel for what we would get with an option system?

Paul Johnson had 5 of those 14 winning seasons I mentioned. His only losing season at Navy was his 1st, taking over a 0 win team

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

.......all while fielding an FCS size interior line on both sides of the LOS.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

30 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Paul Johnson’s agent vowed to never pick up the phone if North Texas ever came calling again.  Our dumbass leadership burned that bridge years ago.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

To all the Army talk... the AAC would gain everything in that scenario and Army next to nothing.

You could accurately assess that Army is living the idealized life of an Independent. Last I recall they were pretty miserable as a member of CUSA.

Not to mention the Army-Navy game is sacrosanct. No way in hell they ever move it or change its context for anything.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're saying I'm wrong?
Please point out which statement is wrong:
UNT is much better than a 39pt loss to Utah State?
AND/OR
Houston is much better than a 56pt loss to Army?

You missed my point.

4 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

Well, some UTSA fans are aiming higher than the AAC.  🤣

I would never want to join the ACC. UTSA should be shooting for the Big 12 or PAC 12.

http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php/10616-Source-Big-East-votes-to-invite-UConn-to-rejoin

Surely that's a joke.  Right?

On 6/26/2019 at 10:05 PM, NTXCoog said:

They were indy until the 2015 season. By this, they could sneak up on opponents and could also cherry pick their schedule. Now that they're in a conference having to play the same opponents on a consistent basis their success has seen a markable decline (11-2 [first year in AAC], 9-5, 7-6, 3-10) and will probably continue downward. Army currently has the luxury Navy used to have. Again, if both programs, with their current recruiting restrictions, were both in an actual conference they would be swapping decent recruiting classes/decent on-the-field success. Georgia Tech had that engine humming under Johnson because of being able to recruit whoever he wanted. 

Positive note for the service academies: A couple weeks ago Trump announced that he is attempting to pull the 4-year commitment to their respective branch of service until after their professional playing days. If that gets approved, that will be highly beneficial for them. 

2 hours ago, CK2 said:

Our AD confirmed that the AAC isnt rushing to add from the riff-raff.

Mark Berman (MarkBermanFox26)

.@UHCougars VP/athletics Chris Pezman (@CPezman) on UConn leaving the American Athletic Conference and going to the Big East: https://t.co/LbP7gzLJ8h
D-HMHBpX4AEyxp4.jpg

Ohhhh, so UH's AD makes AAC decisions. Cool story, bro. 

• Haha 4
  • Downvote 1