UConn about to bolt. Who gets golden ticket?

11 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Delusion on top of delusion in here with people thinking SMU carries that much clout. If AAC wants us, we're in. If they don't, we aren't. And there is not a single thing petty SMU can do about it. 

I 100% agree with you.

I think people still see SMU with 1982 glasses.

They have ZERO leverage today. Think about it. IF we were an option for AAC...and the teams in the AAC supported it...and then what? SMU walks up and says "we don't want UNT here."

AAC: "Uh...so what? Who are you?"

Why do we think SMU has any clout? What are they going to do? Threaten to leave? They offer nothing to the AAC anyway.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Kind of a weird coincidence that the AAC headquarters moved away from Rhode Island and is now going to be in Dallas around the same time. Maybe that might help our case being that our AD can "stop in" just to say hi a few times when/if the time comes to replace a member. 

Also SMU, might fear that adding us would create more competition in the conference for recruiting in their hotbed. Not trying to crap on CUSA, but SMU is hanging on the fact that UCF and UH have put the conference on the map in recent years. SMU is just riding on that exposure to get recruits who want a better chance at national exposure and going to the NFL. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Also SMU, might fear that adding us would create more competition in the conference for recruiting in their hotbed. 

Yeah, that's what one poster on their forum mentioned.  

Funny - for all their disdain for us, there's even more disdain for them on the Houston board. 😄

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The AAC isn’t changing out UConn with anyone in a duplicated market, particularly when ESPN will want them to get another Eastern Time Zone team to try and find value for their property. Army for football is a huge win for the AAC if they can make it happen again, while adding in another program to keep their east coast basketball viewership intact. My guess would be a team from the A-10, someone like VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, or St. Louis. If Army says no, then my guess is that they offer the best of the MAC or CUSA, someone like NIU or MUTS.

OK, great. Wasn't my point. My point was that SMU carries 0 weight in deciding who takes that AAC spot. 

Also, Army would not be a huge win for the AAC. They currently litter their schedule with most the sisters of the poor so they can have a bloated end of season W/L record. Army would not maintain their competitive perception in any conference. They wouldn't be able to have their typical UMASS, Rhode Island, and Lehigh schedule. As for having one sport only schools in your conference, that's small time. They sort of conceded to that already with Wichita. But it's just a small time move to have your conference with 1-sport affiliations. 

As for NIU and MUTS, not happening. 

Are you some sort of closet anti-UNT fan or something? Everything you say in some way or another seems like an attempt to debunk the validity of the university and its sports programs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

OK, great. Wasn't my point. My point was that SMU carries 0 weight in deciding who takes that AAC spot. 

Also, Army would not be a huge win for the AAC. They currently litter their schedule with most the sisters of the poor so they can have a bloated end of season W/L record. Army would not maintain their competitive perception in any conference. They wouldn't be able to have their typical UMASS, Rhode Island, and Lehigh schedule. As for having one sport only schools in your conference, that's small time. They sort of conceded to that already with Wichita. But it's just a small time move to have your conference with 1-sport affiliations. 

Are you some sort of closet anti-UNT fan or something? Everything you say in some way or another seems like an attempt to debunk the validity of the university and its sports programs. 

bill hader popcorn GIF

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Just because I don't think we are going to the AAC means I am debunking our program? And debunking NIU and their closeness to Chicago or MUTS and their proximity to Nashville, which both fit the current AAC footprint perfectly and have made a BCS bowl (NIU) and several NCAA Tournaments (MUTS) just makes you look like a stupid homer--and you aren't a stupid homer.

I have ALWAYS said that our path forward in a new conference involves us not being with TCU or SMU, not because they have clout anymore to keep us from being in their conferences, but because TV markets matter to the networks paying for their content. Its why I am fully onboard with going to the MWC if we ever were lucky enough to get asked. It would behoove our program greatly to play nationally ranked and higher regarded programs and it would greatly behoove the MWC to come out here for more eyeballs and recruiting. Its why there are no more markets in the G5 that share teams anymore. Rice and UH will never be in a conference again because of it. FAU and FIU are close, but the Miami DMA is considered different from Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale.

What changes all of this view? The G5s FINALLY realizing that geographical alignment is the way to go. That would make the MWC stay as it is, the MAC as it is, then completely realigning the AAC, CUSA, and SBC. I'd do backflips to see this conference setup:

UNT, SMU, UTEP, NMSU, Tulane, USM, UTSA, Texas State, UH, Rice, ULL, La Tech, Tulsa, and Arkansas State for football. Then be ready when the Big XII blows up by 2025 and you can add in Baylor and TCU, which gets you 16 great teams.

Make the football stadiums and basketball arenas more full because the travel is easier and the fans actually know people who went to these regional schools--lower costs for travel, more butts in seats, and less apathy, since UNT fans don't give one rip about ODU or F_U, nor do Temple fans care about SMU or Tulane. The idea of an old SWC would be incredible--but its gonna take these ADs realizing that there is no "P6", that there is more value in regional ties than hoping for supposed TV money that is built on sand for our level of play, and that actual attendance creates better fans that give more money. That's why I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

"0 weight"

😕

They get at least 1 vote, right?  Don't think your math works out.  

Also, I had forgotten that Wichita St was added to the conference.  That had to be a move to appease UCONN.  It'll be interesting to see if they add another basketball only school in UCONN's place.  I'd probably put my money on that happening first.  UCONN football was a drain on the conference.  Why not drop them altogether and add another school like Wichita St (ie: VCU immediately comes to mind). 

• Upvote 1

I do feel that UNT vs SMU is the rivalry of the future in the metro.  TCU May drop them soon and this automatically becomes their cross town matchup.  Further the AAC really needs to consider shrinking.  Meaning have your programs not football impacted swing through DFW for 2 games over a long weekend. It’s makes sense to have UCF come play smu on Thursday and us on Saturday. It creates some efficiency for the whole league. 

Now that Grant has turned out Hoops into a player the MWC would be a serious approach. Yes it’s a football first culture but with programs like Nevada UNLV Boise And San Diego State in that league it could help elevate our improving basketball profile. Our football program would already slide in nicely out west. 

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, CK2 said:

You're smoking some serious crack if you think UH, SMU, TCU and Baylor would share a conference with that entire trash pile. All four schools would drop their football programs before this happens.

TCU is the only one that is remotely good. Get outta here with your unearned entitlement.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CK2 said:

You're smoking some serious crack if you think UH, SMU, TCU and Baylor would share a conference with that entire trash pile. All four schools would drop their football programs before this happens.

Do you promise? Even more motivation to get it done. Only TCU deserves to have a football program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Just because I don't think we are going to the AAC means I am debunking our program? And debunking NIU and their closeness to Chicago or MUTS and their proximity to Nashville, which both fit the current AAC footprint perfectly and have made a BCS bowl (NIU) and several NCAA Tournaments (MUTS) just makes you look like a stupid homer--and you aren't a stupid homer.

I have ALWAYS said that our path forward in a new conference involves us not being with TCU or SMU, not because they have clout anymore to keep us from being in their conferences, but because TV markets matter to the networks paying for their content. Its why I am fully onboard with going to the MWC if we ever were lucky enough to get asked. It would behoove our program greatly to play nationally ranked and higher regarded programs and it would greatly behoove the MWC to come out here for more eyeballs and recruiting. Its why there are no more markets in the G5 that share teams anymore. Rice and UH will never be in a conference again because of it. FAU and FIU are close, but the Miami DMA is considered different from Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale.

What changes all of this view? The G5s FINALLY realizing that geographical alignment is the way to go. That would make the MWC stay as it is, the MAC as it is, then completely realigning the AAC, CUSA, and SBC. I'd do backflips to see this conference setup:

UNT, SMU, UTEP, NMSU, Tulane, USM, UTSA, Texas State, UH, Rice, ULL, La Tech, Tulsa, and Arkansas State for football. Then be ready when the Big XII blows up by 2025 and you can add in Baylor and TCU, which gets you 16 great teams.

Make the football stadiums and basketball arenas more full because the travel is easier and the fans actually know people who went to these regional schools--lower costs for travel, more butts in seats, and less apathy, since UNT fans don't give one rip about ODU or F_U, nor do Temple fans care about SMU or Tulane. The idea of an old SWC would be incredible--but its gonna take these ADs realizing that there is no "P6", that there is more value in regional ties than hoping for supposed TV money that is built on sand for our level of play, and that actual attendance creates better fans that give more money. That's why I'm not holding my breath.

I think you are dead on with this posting.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, CK2 said:

UH surrounded by small privates.  As they say, if the shoe fits...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

If you look at the reports coming out, the broader CFB media sphere is convinced that any number of mid majors would be considered before North Texas. Buffalo, UAB, Troy, App State, are getting buzz. I haven’t seen a single outlet or pundit suggest UNT. 

We’re a long shot, but I’m confident that Wren and company will knock on the right doors and have the right conversations to make the best case for North Texas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is no longer a 12 team requirement to play a championship game, zero need for AAC to add anyone.

Their dream would be at add BYU, that would allow them to move Navy to the east where they want to be.  Problem is that there is no reason for BYU to make that move.  They have incredible revenue.   BYU makes more than a lot of P5 schools schools do.  They out revenued schools like Texas Tech, Washington State, Kansas St last year.

Who else makes sense for them to move over?  Maybe AFA,  Boise St.  Not sure they could tempt Boise, and the service academies are different.  Revenue doesn't matter as much to them.  They don't even have the scholarship restrictions other schools do. 

I don't see anyone else that would actually make it a break even proposition for the rest of the AAC. 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

There is no longer a 12 team requirement to play a championship game, zero need for AAC to add anyone.

Their dream would be at add BYU, that would allow them to move Navy to the east where they want to be.  Problem is that there is no reason for BYU to make that move.  They have incredible revenue.   BYU makes more than a lot of P5 schools schools do.  They out revenued schools like Texas Tech, Washington State, Kansas St last year.

Who else makes sense for them to move over?  Maybe AFA,  Boise St.  Not sure they could tempt Boise, and the service academies are different.  Revenue doesn't matter as much to them.  They don't even have the scholarship restrictions other schools do. 

I don't see anyone else that would actually make it a break even proposition for the rest of the AAC. 

Army would a great get for them. People show up to games when Army comes to town. They'd love to showcase the Army-Navy game as a conference game each season. And you can make Army, Navy, ECU, Temple, UCF and USF in the east, with SMU, Tulsa, UH, Tulane, Cincy, and Memphis in the West a fairly nice conference for football. Then add in VCU and you have a nice hoops conference, too.

• Eye Roll 1