UConn about to bolt. Who gets golden ticket?

I read that while MWC paid out $1million per school in broadcast money, while the AAC doled out $7million each.. Article also said that Airforce Academy is their first choice to replace U. Conn, which would open a slot in the MWC. If Falcons do jump does this vacancy offer an opportunity for UNT to move west, or as we better off staying put for 3 or 4 years when conference t.v. contracts expire and  conference shuffling really begins?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

I read that while MWC paid out $1million per school in broadcast money, while the AAC doled out $7million each.. Article also said that Airforce Academy is their first choice to replace U. Conn, which would open a slot in the MWC. If Falcons do jump does this vacancy offer an opportunity for UNT to move west, or as we better off staying put for 3 or 4 years when conference t.v. contracts expire and  conference shuffling really begins?

The above song came running through my mind as I read wardly's post. That pretty much sums up my thoughts at this particular time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My take from reading the comments is that it humors me that they think adding us would over saturate the DFW market.  The DFW market doesn't care about smuT.  Hell, Highland Park barely cares anymore.  We would provide the DFW market that smuT promised years ago.  They are a program on life support and are heading the wrong direction.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My take from reading the comments is that it humors me that they think adding us would over saturate the DFW market.  The DFW market doesn't care about smuT.  Hell, Highland Park barely cares anymore.  We would provide the DFW market that smuT promised years ago.  They are a program on life support and are heading the wrong direction.  

To be fair, DFW doesn't really care about us either, despite the fact that about 10% of the Metroplex are alumni. 😞

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

Overall I feel like this is an opportunity to get better cohesiveness for the AAC, but depending on how it shakes out also for C-USA , maybe even some sort of identity. And lack of Identity of C-USA is why the sunbelt, despite individually less interesting schools is kind of bypassing C-USA.

If the folks in the AAC and even more in C-USA learn from this they will not be going after markets, but rather after a team that fits geographically and culturally. The AAC for example has some big schools but then a whole number of really small privates (yes you got that right, I say the AAC has small privates!). SMU, Tulsa, Tulane are all kind of probelmatic parts to the conference which is much more carried by the Houstons UCF and USFs, i.e. the big public schools. UConn leaving also changes the equilibrium in that regard. If I were the AAC I would definitely want somebody who is already in the geographical footprint. But if you are asking me, I think southern Miss and La Tech are in pole position, as they are already in the geographical footprint, and are small privates like a decent chunk of the conference, and even have some history. Unless all the other members realize that the small private schools are not suceeding at adding anything, in which case  NT, FIU and Georgia State are probably in pole position. Or Army as a football only member, because army is special.

And if Someone from C-USA jumps, C-USA should actually kick somebody to reduce the footprint and increase cohesion, or it needs to add someone who makes more geographical sense (I.e. a troy, ark state, a Georgia school).

All of this also has me wondering whether C-USA should (or maybe actually shouldn't) consider adding UConn as a football only member.

• Upvote 2

DFW doesn’t give a rats ass about SMU or UNT. More people in DFW care about the Cowboys, UT & OU than anything else. If anything, the AAC wants to get rid of SMU and replace them with another MWC team or Marshall. SMU won’t let NT into the AAC. I think the only opportunity NT will have here is a jump to the MWC when AFA takes uconn’s Spot....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 10:46 AM, Got5onIt said:

DFW doesn’t give a rats ass about SMU or UNT. More people in DFW care about the Cowboys, UT & OU than anything else. If anything, the AAC wants to get rid of SMU and replace them with another MWC team or Marshall. SMU won’t let NT into the AAC. I think the only opportunity NT will have here is a jump to the MWC when AFA takes uconn’s Spot....

I disagree considering the attendance we pulled at the HOD Bowl games.  If we only pulled 10% of our alumni base, we would still provide 90% more eyes on the product than smuT.  I also have a hard time believing smuT carries that much influence anymore.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I may beg to differ in regard to us. I reference the HOD Bowl attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This.  I see more UNT hats/shirts/bumper stickers etc now than I do SMUT unless I'm at Snider Plaza or some of the other popular SMU student haunts.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This is what our fanbase thinks, @MeanGreenTexan...so sad.

We have to concede that convenience if we want to continue up the chain.  I’m definitely not saying we should park in the MWC forever...  The big 12 shakeup is coming, we need to be ready.

edit:  Of course, the AAC would be preferable between the two.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

You are correct. There are no schools even close to Denton in the MWC.

I don’t think that matters as much as people think it will. Even if we go to the MWC, that would still be a no brainer. Especially if we replaced Air Force, we would compete with teams like Colorado State and Boise. Money goes from 450,000 or whatever it is to a $1 million per year. 

Also on a a side note, Wren and the administration staff at Memphis are close.  Memphis >>>> SMU. SMU has had one winning season since realignment in 2013, their coach left immediately for Arkansas right after, and we have better attendance than they do in 3 out of the last 6 years. He was also seen with UCF’s AD at an AD event earlier this summer. Will be interesting to see what happens whether we move out of CUSA or not.

The bottom of the big 12 (KSU, ISU, TECH, Baylor, ) will end up joining the upper of the ACC Houston, Memphis, Cincy,Temple and maybe the Florida Schools. The ACC will be SMU's conf forever as it will for Tulsa and Tulane. It is time for UNT to stop being referred to as potential, we can blow by SMU.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Delusion on top of delusion in here with people thinking SMU carries that much clout. If AAC wants us, we're in. If they don't, we aren't. And there is not a single thing petty SMU can do about it. 

The AAC isn’t changing out UConn with anyone in a duplicated market, particularly when ESPN will want them to get another Eastern Time Zone team to try and find value for their property. Army for football is a huge win for the AAC if they can make it happen again, while adding in another program to keep their east coast basketball viewership intact. My guess would be a team from the A-10, someone like VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, or St. Louis. If Army says no, then my guess is that they offer the best of the MAC or CUSA, someone like NIU or MUTS.

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

This board has trashed SMU and the AAC on a non stop basis, but now, you are hyperventilating to marry them.

1.  SMU: yes, We make fun of them. They are a program going nowhere. 

2. AAC: We make fun of them for the ridiculous “P6” logo, moniker, etc... because there is no such thing. They are a G5 conference that creates more revenue for their members than Aunt Judy’s CUSA. 

Isn’t there a Westlake message board waiting for your input. Baker Mayfield was talking trash and you. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1