UNT Mention - NY6 Article

18 hours ago, drex said:

Anybody can look good if you take out the starting quarterback.

Everybody has injuries, this was the biggest one possible for us. We had no backup with any real experience to come in.  I don't know why SL does not let the back up qb when we are safely ahead and let him throw the ball instead of just handing it off.   

I

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, southsideguy said:

Everybody has injuries, this was the biggest one possible for us. We had no backup with any real experience to come in.  I don't know why SL does not let the back up qb when we are safely ahead and let him throw the ball instead of just handing it off.   

I

I agree with you, so don’t take this the wrong way....but people seem to forget Fine didnt play defense that day.  We may not should have won the NM Bowl  but a “good” team’s defense doesn’t get throttled like that.

We must find a defense, a good, solid defense if we’re ever going to win anything in football.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I agree with you, so don’t take this the wrong way....but people seem to forget Fine didnt play defense that day.  We may not should have won the NM Bowl  but a “good” team’s defense doesn’t get throttled like that.

We must find a defense, a good, solid defense if we’re ever going to win anything in football.

Rick

I agree. The thing that SL still needs to show as a head coach is if he can run a solid defense to match his offense. Otherwise, he’s just another wide open offensive coach who only cares about scoring. 

Here at UNT, we’ve seen The Dickster and Mac run the ball ad nauseum, but won if they had a solid or spectacular defense. Dodge and SL have put up big offensive numbers but their defenses have really lacked (of course, Dodge’s probably had to do with hiring JV coaches to run the defense when he got here). It would be so great to see us be like Patterson at TCU who has shown great abilities to coach both a great pounding defense and a wide open offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2