UNT’s Brint Ryan Part Of Group To Renovate Mineral Well’s Baker Hotel

https://www.mineralwellsindex.com/news/baker-hotel-and-spa-to-begin-historic-three-year-renovation/article_39cbed22-92d1-11e9-848f-d3a0c02e166e.html

Hopefully this finally happens.  Also, if you have been there during C-USA tourney time in the past,  The Arlington in Hot Springs is the sister hotel of The Baker.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

It was really something, back in the days when this old Wichita Falls boy would be driving south to Austin by way of Highway 281, and, coming over the crest of the hill overlooking Mineral Wells, see this grand old building standing like a beacon above the prairies and cross timbers surrounding it.

It will take a massive undertaking of time, money, and energy, but if anyone can be a major player in such a restoration, it is Brint Ryan.  By the way, the State of Texas will eventually have to fund the development of the Palo Pinto Mountains State Park near there, which, by connecting several parks in the area with bike trails, has the potential to provide this area with what some refer to as our new playground.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

This would be amazing if everything comes together. My wife and I both come from small towns which were once famous for their natural healing waters (her Mineral Wells and Marlin for me), that both now have still-standing hotels that have been shuttered for decades. I'm a little jealous hers is being redeveloped first but I'm still excited to see this renovation take place. Could be huge for Mineral Wells.

• Upvote 2

On 6/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, Matt from A700 said:

This would be amazing if everything comes together. My wife and I both come from small towns which were once famous for their natural healing waters (her Mineral Wells and Marlin for me), that both now have still-standing hotels that have been shuttered for decades. I'm a little jealous hers is being redeveloped first but I'm still excited to see this renovation take place. Could be huge for Mineral Wells.

I had no idea Marlin was known for that.  My in-laws live in Robinson and we used to pass through Marlin when coming up from Houston, so all I ever really saw was what is visible from Highway 6.  Very interesting.

Found this interesting and amusing from an article on texasescapes.com.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Marlin/marlin.htm

"A hot artesian spring was struck by accident in 1893 and the town became known for its curative waters. This was the era of health awareness (people became aware of how little they had) and what better excuse was there for leaving home, than "taking the cure" in Marlin? Even today you can drink from a fountain from that era, right next to the Chamber of Commerce Office. You can soak your feet too, and they've thoughtfully provided a separate facility for that purpose. Water has a tendancy to purge and locals have timed it's effects at 43 minutes"

Edited by UNTLifer

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I had no idea Marlin was known for that.  My in-laws live in Robinson and we used to pass through Marlin when coming up from Houston, so all I ever really saw was what is visible from Highway 6.  Very interesting.

Found this interesting and amusing from an article on texasescapes.com.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Marlin/marlin.htm

"A hot artesian spring was struck by accident in 1893 and the town became known for its curative waters. This was the era of health awareness (people became aware of how little they had) and what better excuse was there for leaving home, than "taking the cure" in Marlin? Even today you can drink from a fountain from that era, right next to the Chamber of Commerce Office. You can soak your feet too, and they've thoughtfully provided a separate facility for that purpose. Water has a tendancy to purge and locals have timed it's effects at 43 minutes"

Yes! Unfortunately Marlin hasn't marketed or utilized its healing waters as much as Mineral Wells. I know MW still sells its "crazy" water.

Marlin used to host the 1910's New York Baseball Giants for Spring Training, too!