Master plan update

Harry

Link:  https://www.ntdaily.com/master-plan-creates-more-pedestrian-walkways/

Julian Gill / Staff Writer

In August, the portion of Avenue D currently under construction will be eliminated and turned into a walkway, according to UNT Parking and Transportation Services.

James Davis, associate vice chancellor for planning and development at the UNT System, said the walkway, located between the Gateway Center and Rawlins Hall, is the first segment in a larger central pedestrian path outlined in the 2013 Master Plan.

“In addition to providing pedestrian circulation, [the path] is going to take advantage of landmarks throughout campus and really provide a sense of place,” Davis said.

The path will extend from Apogee Stadium into the arts district side on the northeast portion of campus. According to the Master Plan, it will run through several key areas of conflict between pedestrians and vehicular traffic.

The university has already taken steps to become a more pedestrian-friendly campus with the recent addition of two-way bike lanes on Highland Street.

16_aved_web2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Christopher Walker why Starbucks? Why not somebody local?

Without knowing all the logistics of this, it kind rubs me wrong that the local places on Fry can struggle, but ‘bucks gets dibs on this prime real estate.

I'm with you. I cannot stand Starbucks, but then again, I don't drink coffee either so they never get my money anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Christopher Walker why Starbucks? Why not somebody local?

Without knowing all the logistics of this, it kind rubs me wrong that the local places on Fry can struggle, but ‘bucks gets dibs on this prime real estate.

Word around campus was the location in the Union was so popular that order fulfillment wait times fell well-below Starbucks’ corporate standards. They threatened to pull the operational license unless something was rectified. I guess this is that solution. It truly is funny though, as this little shack is literally right across the library mall from the larger one.

6 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Starbucks is awful coffee.  You might be able to use it to supplement engine oil when in a bind.

Totally agreed, especially when you have Aura, Golden Boy, Cryptoozoology, and West Oak serving around town.

• Upvote 2