2019 College Football Rankings: No. 75 North Texas

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-college-football-rankings-north-texas-0611-20190612-mflhemq3wvhpxmi7g66sszewba-story.html

Outlook: With nine starters returning on offense, including Fine, North Texas should once again be among the top offenses in the country. The defense has gaps to fill, and the 2019 schedule has the Mean Green with two crucial conference road games against Southern Mississippi and Louisiana Tech.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I never follow these articles. It's always a crap shoot for their rankings of Group of 5 programs, and what has Southern Miss shown that has everyone rank them so high? Genuine question. Everyone has them as favorites and I'm not sure as to why

Because they are USM by damn and they used to be good.

Nevermind that NT has beaten them 3 straight and by 30-7 last year.  

They do return a lot of starters from a mediocre 6-5 team, but  I really don't see anyway they should be picked above NT. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

They do return a lot of starters from a mediocre 6-5 team, but  I really don't see anyway they should be picked above NT. 

Games against them have been hard fought and close at times.  Good QB Abrhamson.

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If I’m remembering correctly, they return nearly the entirety of their defensive production this year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

USM = CUSA Flagship school.  And that’s all they’ve got going for them. Entitlement.

23 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I never follow these articles. It's always a crap shoot for their rankings of Group of 5 programs, and what has Southern Miss shown that has everyone rank them so high? Genuine question. Everyone has them as favorites and I'm not sure as to why

Possibly because they finished with the third best overal defense in the nation?

CE074226-4566-43A7-9E98-036F9AAC0D4D.png.6065be930b9a1f8d63b8115506b99535.png

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Note who was at #9?

Rick

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Our offense is pretty good too.

Point being , USM is being given a lot of love....I can see why.

I don't see any rationale that would indicate USM is going to be better than NT.  

Yes, statistically their defense last year was good, but their offense was very poor. 

They have a good QB which very few would rate close to Fine. 

They have one more starter than NT that should be returning.  This is from a 6-5 team versus a 9-4 team.

Looking at returnees and last year results, in a blind test no one would pick USM.  

Yet, they are the favorites to win the league in several polls.  

• Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't see any rationale that would indicate USM is going to be better than NT.  

Yes, statistically their defense last year was good, but their offense was very poor. 

They have a good QB which very few would rate close to Fine. 

They have one more starter than NT that should be returning.  This is from a 6-5 team versus a 9-4 team.

Looking at returnees and last year results, in a blind test no one would pick USM.  

Yet, they are the favorites to win the league in several polls.  

We’re only 5 spots below them. It’s close.

I think this ranking suggests that the media respects their 2018 schedule more than our’s.  Remember, also, that despite the difference in overall records, they tied with us in the West at 5-3.

I also think Seth just has their number, relative to the other teams USM faces.  I don’t think we should use our scores against them as a true barometer for how good they are.  Just like I don’t think people should gauge us by the ODU loss.

I’ve always looked at returning experience in the trenches (total starts) as a good (maybe better?) indication of success, rather than returning starters (roster-wide players).  Maybe that will reveal something?

I find it strange that their QB is the nation’s returning leader in completion percentage, but their overall offensive efficiency last year was 120th.  What do I take from that?

Edited by greenminer
  • Thanks 1

I think the toughest teams on our schedule, conference wise thise year, will be LA Tech and USM. Both of those games are away, La Tech is always a solid team, and USM was young last year and should be better. We win those two games and we should hopefully be hosting the first conference championship game at Apogee ever. I think we can beat USM, they don’t really scare me, but LA Tech is always a tough game.