‘20 CB Ennis Rakestraw - Duncanville

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lots of hand-wringing & condemnation happening over 1 guy's rumor.
I don't think Walerius would let that kind of call ("Thanks, but no thanks") happen.

I'm with @Mean Green Matt here.

People acting like we missed out on prime Deion Sanders. Folks need to chillllll. If in 4 years the kid is first team all defense, then you come come back and bitch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You would be very surprised.

I think this happens at every school.  Honestly, if this did occur, it happened when he was not highly rated and didn't have a laundry list of offers to choose from.  Unfortunately, recruiting is a crap shoot and we will know if it was a hit or a miss in a couple of years.  I wish he was coming to Denton, but I am pleased with Johnson, Gaddy, Norris, Upton, etc...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You would be very surprised.

-1 not from me.

It's gotta be some kind of mis-understanding in either what you heard, or on his end if the info is leaking from his folks.  Or, there was some kind of caveat issued that couldn't be accommodated (for instance:  If he said he wanted to commit, but did not want to sign in the early signing period... we saw how Littrell treated that scenario with Gary Johnson last year).
We have no CB's committed/signed at this time, so if one of the top 2 on your board calls up and says he's ready with no strings attached, you fax him the letter.  I cannot imagine Walerius saying "no", or Walerius getting a "no" out of Littrell in that scenario... even if Littrell plans on hitting the JUCOs or transfer portal for CB help.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I feel like this may have been a Renfro situation that even if he had committed at that time, he would’ve jumped at the P5 offers he is getting now.

I don't know.  If you look at the timing of his big offers, they all came after the December signing date.  We just whiffed on this one.  Either way, I am pleased with the young DB's we have now.  Go back and watch tape on the likes of Gaddy, Norris, Upton, Jevin Murray, Nichols, Gibbs, etc...  We are strong at DB.

Edited by UNTLifer

Can't fault this young man.  He played the recruiting game and gambled that his senior year's performance would lead to the offers he desired.  Grambling, Liberty and Air Force were the three schools that offered before us.  He is now up to 24 offers and his "warm" list is Alabama, U of Miami, Michigan State, Missouri and Georgia.

And he could have been signed sealed and delivered.  Coaches need to trust their evaluations... this kid blew up because he locked down every WR he covered.  He would have signed with us in December and never received any of this attention (if he chose to sign early) which by the looks of it that’s a theme with this staff.  Hmmm.... hard pill to swallow guess I’ll move on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The problem is that if we had picked him up, we never would’ve known what a get he actually was and then we’d have jokers talking about how he didn’t have many offers .

He did have a lot offers already though. He had 8 other offers at the time of the alleged commitment attempt. But yeah, you’re right. Who knows how many offers some of the guys who we have been able to lock up early would’ve finished with.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Again...

We know Littrell doesn't want to have "Committed" guys who are not going to sign on early signing day.   
Looking at the class, we have 1 (count 'em: 1) CB signed.   And that position is currently one of great need.   Rakestraw was extremely high on the staff's wish list.   There is NO POSSIBLE WAY he would have been told "no" outright if he was ready to sign on early signing day.

So, no, it wasn't a "miss" by the staff, and it's nothing to hold against the staff either.

Rakestraw wanted to commit, great!   He likely would have waited to sign, and all of these offers would have come in anyway, and he would have de-committed and gone to Bama (or wherever he's going) anyway.

Best of luck to him.   It's time to move on, and, again, it's definitely not something to hold against the coaching staff.

Nevermind that this is all based on a rumor.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

• 3 weeks later...