All-time favorite Mean Green tchotchke

untcampbell

A little something to pass the time as we anticipate the upcoming season and who will be the next #UNTAMED20 verbal:

I found myself using two Mean Green tchotchkes today. Some call them bribes (medical industry lingo), trinkets, bauble or knickknack but they are typically something decorative but cheap. But I appreciate those that have an enduring function.

Schedule magnets, rally flags and bandannas are pretty standard stuff but here are three favorites that come to mind, all from the current administration....for whom I am grateful.

• The Joe Green key chain (thanks Jim Plummer)
  • The NT alumni chap stick ball given out at the New Mexico Bowl
  • The hotel key/DL/credit card holder given to support the MGSF. Great for travelers and runners (both here) and also keeps your phone from sliding on the car console.

I went mostly current so help me recall some of those from the past.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, untcampbell said:
  • The hotel key/DL/credit card holder given to support the MGSF. Great for travelers and runners (both here) and also keeps your phone from sliding on the car console.

Was this given to MGSF members?  If so, what level of giving?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe Smith said:

Thank you. According to some research I did a few years back about bobble head collections,...next to a certain year Roberto Clemente bobble head the 60’s era NTSU Scrappy is among the most sought after?  No idea if that is true or not now days?  But the Scrappy was made in China and only 600 were circulated.  So they are rare.  It’s crazy to think that I bought mine for $7.50 at a second hand furniture store just a block south of the Denton square the week I moved into my first apartment.

I have a funny story(married couples funny at least) about that.

My wife of 21 years collected Hummel figurines while we were dating and once we moved into our house she put her collection in our China hutch to display.  I think the most she ever paid for one was around $250?  Well,...I put my Scrappy in there too and she didn’t like it at all.  And every time we had a family gathering she’d remove the bobble head and I’d have to go look for it hidden somewhere in the house, and this battle continued for a few years.

Not long after, I met GMG’s Adler who has a nice Mean Green collection of his own.  Adler told me those Scrappy bobble heads are rare and collectible.  So I told my wife about it and she scoffed at that.  I told her I had reason to believe that my Scrappy might even be worth more than any of her Hummels and of course she laughed and said there’s no freaking way,....and that “College stuff  needs to go somewhere else other than the hutch...etc”,...and the battle raged on from there.  

......until the night that all changed.

My wife is a school counselor and comes home pretty wiped out every afternoon during the school year and usually goes to bed early.  Since I work shift work I stay up late and one night I get a message with a link in it from Adler for a Scrappy bobble head up for bid on eBay,.  It had several bids at the time, and the highest bid was like $1600.  I couldn’t believe it, and thought to myself...”what a perfect time to end the Scrappy vs Hummel battle once and for all.

So  I turned on the printer, printed it out, walked into the bed room, flipped on the overhead light and yelled..”Hey,..WAKE UP!!!!”(thinking back on it now I realize it’s a wonder I didn’t get shot?).  Anyhow she raised up and looked at me and yelled “What the...??”. I walked over and held that print out in front of her and asked..”Any of your Hummels Worth $1600!!!!!?????”.  She stared at it a second in amazement,... then not wanting to give up says..”Well there’s a fool born every day!”.  And again I asked ...”You got a Hummel some fool would pay $1600 for?”.  Lost for words she just kept looking at the print out.   I snapped back..”Didn’t think so...SCRAPPY STAYS PUT!”....and I walked out.

And he’s been in there ever since,...true story.

A741D7B2-0D66-4EFA-BA93-85D7B5A0CF9D.jpeg.fc47defb83f46f99b4a0668744e1bd9b.jpeg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Ray 3

25 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thank you. According to some research I did a few years back about bobble head collections,...next to a certain year Roberto Clemente bobble head the 60’s era NTSU Scrappy is among the most sought after?  No idea if that is true or not now days?  But the Scrappy was made in China and only 600 were circulated.  So they are rare.  It’s crazy to think that I bought mine for $7.50 at a second hand furniture store just a block south of the Denton square the week I moved into my first apartment.

My wife of 21 years collected Hummel figurines while we were dating and once we moved into our house she put her collection in our China hutch to display.  I think the most she ever paid for one was around $250?  Well,...I put my Scrappy in there too and she didn’t like it at all.  And every time we had a family gathering she’d remove the bobble head and I’d have to go look for it hidden somewhere in the house, and this battle continued for a few years.

Not long after, I met GMG’s Adler who has a nice Mean Green collection of his own.  Adler told me those Scrappy bobble heads are rare and collectible.  So I told my wife about it and she scoffed at that.  I told her I had reason to believe that my Scrappy might even be worth more than any of her Hummels and of course she laughed and said there’s no freaking way,....and that “College stuff  needs to go somewhere else other than the hutch...etc”,...and the battle raged on from there.  

My wife is a school counselor and comes home pretty wiped out every afternoon during the school year and usually goes to bed early.  Since I work shift work I stay up late and one night I get a message with a link in it from Adler for a Scrappy bobble head up for bid on eBay,.  It had several bids at the time, and the highest bid was like $1600.  I couldn’t believe it, and thought to myself...”what a perfect time to end the Scrappy vs Hummel battle once and for all.

So  I turned on the printer, printed it out, walked into the bed room, flipped on the overhead light and yelled..”Hey,..WAKE UP!!!!”(thinking back on it now I realize it’s a wonder I didn’t get shot?).  Anyhow she raised up and looked at me and yelled “What the...??”. I walked over and held that print out in front of her and asked..”Any of your Hummels Worth $1600!!!!!?????”.  She stared at it a second in amazement,... then not wanting to give up says..”Well there’s a fool born every day!”.  And again I asked ...”You got a Hummel some fool would pay $1600 for?”.  Lost for words she just kept looking at the print out.   I snapped back..”Didn’t think so...SCRAPPY STAYS PUT!”....and I walked out.

Rick

This is so informative on so many levels. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

not a mean green thing, but i have never worn pants to a football game featuring north texas (other than during my band years when i had too)...haven't missed a home game since 06...it's just my thing.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

My favorite Scrappy image of all time.

Image result for ntsu scrappy image

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, THOR said:

not a mean green thing, but i have never worn pants to a football game featuring north texas (other than during my band years when i had too)...haven't missed a home game since 06...it's just my thing.

Thor on game day:

jessica burciaga jorts GIF

Edited by 97and03
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1