UNT esports program announces $20,000 in scholarships

Harry

In April 2018, the University of North Texas became the first public university in the state to launch a collegiate esports program. Now, UNT continues to lead the way by becoming the first public university in Texas to offer scholarships for its esports gamers. Scholarships will be awarded to current players and recruits who show the exceptional talent and team dedication needed to play at the varsity level.

View Full Article

Uh...no...I’ll push back on that. If you look at the schools that actually sponsor e-sports it’s a who’s who of nobody institutions. Secondly, it doesn’t take a millennial to realize you don’t need a scholarship to be good at video games. This is a marketing ploy. To call it shrewd is respectfully laughable 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Uh...no...I’ll push back on that. If you look at the schools that actually sponsor e-sports it’s a who’s who of nobody institutions. Secondly, it doesn’t take a millennial to realize you don’t need a scholarship to be good at video games. This is a marketing ploy. To call it shrewd is respectfully laughable 

I don't see the downside.. I did see two posts that were along the lines of "Ha! video games? Nerds!" which is exactly what I would expect the responses to be. It's a great marketing ploy if that's what you want to call it we can agree to disagree we will see who's right in a few years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I don't see the downside.

Ok I’ll give you five.

1. Video gaming can be addictive and becomes excessive.  That excessiveness promotes an unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle.

2.  Not all, but many promote graphic violence and minimizes everything related to that violence.

3.  It’s excessiveness can lead to arthritic or carpel tunnel type conditions much like over exertion with key padding, typing..etc

4. It’s excessiveness detracts kids from their more important responsibilities.....like school work and chores.

5.  And last but not least...iT’S NOT SPORTS.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ok I’ll give you five.

1. Video gaming can be addictive and becomes excessive.  That excessiveness promotes an unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle.

2.  Not all, but many promote graphic violence and minimizes everything related to that violence.

3.  It’s excessiveness can lead to arthritic or carpel tunnel type conditions much like over exertion with key padding, typing..etc

4. It’s excessiveness detracts kids from their more important responsibilities.....like school work and chores.

Rick

Orrr..... its a billion dollar business which actually pays money to its top players, who can have a career in it, and who can be ambassadors for the university post-graduation. 

To your graphic violence point... they can always just play NBA 2k. . Look at what the Mavs esports team has. 

Also, carpal tunnel can be developed from any job with overexertion on the keypad, not just video games. 

And its not just video games that cause a sedentary lifestyle.... give me a break. 

Kudos to UNT for getting out in front of a growing trend.

In case you dont realize how big Esports is... Arlington literally built a stadium dedicated to esports

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Orrr..... its a billion dollar business which actually pays money to its top players, who can have a career in it, and who can be ambassadors for the university post-graduation. 

To your graphic violence point... they can always just play NBA 2k. . Look at what the Mavs esports team has. 

Also, carpal tunnel can be developed from any job with overexertion on the keypad, not just video games. 

And its not just video games that cause a sedentary lifestyle.... give me a break. 

Kudos to UNT for getting out in front of a growing trend.

In case you dont realize how big Esports is... Arlington literally built a stadium dedicated to esports

He asked for a down side and I gave him 5.  

Every industry has some kind of value to it or it wouldn’t exist. I simply don’t believe this one has much value to North Texas to justify the expense, and again...it’s unhealthy as well.

84A32609-622C-4C38-82D5-018C3814244B.jpeg.5abd4aa5806d16cea56241dfff2e28dd.jpeg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

He asked for a down side and I gave him 5.  

Every industry has some kind of value to it or it wouldn’t exist. I simply don’t believe this one has much value to North Texas to justify the expense, and again...it’s unhealthy as well.

84A32609-622C-4C38-82D5-018C3814244B.jpeg.5abd4aa5806d16cea56241dfff2e28dd.jpeg

Rick

If you have a discussion about excessive spending then college football already has a seat at the table.

It doesn't offer much value now but any leader has to look at potential, not just current value, and make a decision.  Whether you like the games or not, they are going to explode the next 5-10 years. We can either blow it off and be reactionary later, or do what we can to be in the driver's seat from the beginning.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

All I’m saying is that e-sports is not going to leap frog traditional sports any time soon. If you are one of those people that points out the video game industry as this wide open market with lots of growth potential, you are wrong. It’s been taken over by pay to win titles and platforms so chill. It’s a niche market at best and I would argue does not deserve SCHOLARSHIP MONEY at North Texas. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

I don't even know what to say. I can't argue with get off my lawn guy.

Did you really just bring up carpel tunnel, a sedentary lifestyle, use the word "chores" for college students, mention the desensitizing of violence and then claim since it's not sports to you it doesn't deserve scholarship money?

That is a freaking home run of a post...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Did you really just bring up carpel tunnel, a sedentary lifestyle, use the word "chores" for college students, mention the desensitizing of violence and then claim since it's not sports to you it doesn't deserve scholarship money?

block b love GIF

Rick

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

22 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Are you telling me the kid that excels at "esports" deserves a scholarship because he sits in his room for hours playing video games? I am the father of kids that would do this if allowed, but as a parent I limit their time and make sure they are involved in other activities.  In fact, during the school year, gaming comes after homework, chores, etc... are done.  It is last on the list as I try to teach taking care of things that need to be done versus doing things they want to do.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 3

On June 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM, FirefightnRick said:

Ok I’ll give you five.

Rick

At the same time they are spending funds on esports, they are defunding  a program that actually serves an academic purpose. The Debate team, that has existed for over 100 years and has won a National Championship, has over the last few years seen funding drop and has been informed that the program will no longer be funded in 3 years.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

At the same time they are spending funds on esports, they are defunding  a program that actually serves an academic purpose. The Debate team, that has existed for over 100 years and has won a National Championship, has over the last few years seen funding drop and has been informed that the program will no longer be funded in 3 years.

I would consider improved special reasoning, better memory, improved perception, all factors that lend themselves to better problem solving/academic performance.

Some of the views on video games here are so archaic and, to some extent, you’re right.  The games can be addicting and time can be wasted.  But like most things, manage your time and effort and this can be a good thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Oof my man, the world does not need more people shutting themselves indoors away from the real world. Those traits may apply to people who play video games, I play them too! But in the world of competitive gaming you are all in, how many hours a day are these guys playing to get any good? It should be a club sport...scholarship money should be set aside for other things. With all do respect, I feel this money could be better spent. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Wow, I hate to hear this..  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Yet we can't have a baseball program.  Love the CWS.  I am relegated to watching Denton's own Tim Tadlock lead Tx Tech back to Omaha.  The only Red Raider team I will follow.  It would be nice to have a North Texas team to follow, but let's fund scholarships for computer games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

@MCMLXXX These are two really different things. A scholarship has nothing to do with defunding a program. The debate team has something like 20 students in it and they had a nearly 6 figure budget. A group of students cut their budget provided by student service fees by $9,000 and told them that they will eventually want them to be self funding. So a group of their peers is defunding them to put that money to use elsewhere in the school.

For for all we know some donor has funded the $20k for esports

15 hours ago, xyresic said:

@MCMLXXX These are two really different things. A scholarship has nothing to do with defunding a program. The debate team has something like 20 students in it and they had a nearly 6 figure budget. A group of students cut their budget provided by student service fees by $9,000 and told them that they will eventually want them to be self funding. So a group of their peers is defunding them to put that money to use elsewhere in the school.

For for all we know some donor has funded the $20k for esports

You statement regarding a donor is pure speculation. If a donor or donors existed they would say so. Who really knows where the scholarship money comes from.  Esports is funded by student service fees. They actually call themselves "athletes".

https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/university-of-north-texas-becomes-first-public-texas-school-to-give-esports-scholarships-11687998

I did not say funding one was the direct result of defunding the other. One distinction is comparative academic value.

As it relates to Debate funding I don't have time to  explain everything. However, if you read my post, I stated they were told they would be defunded in 3 years. Since the student (peers) committee changes membership from year to year and for a host of other reasons they lack the authority lay claim to the future. Also, you might want to read the applicable law relating to student service fees. Debate scholarships exist and have been funded by donors.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2