Bonnie Brae and Scripture Street roundabout to cost $3.4 million

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

They didn’t say if it would be made from gold or not. $3.4M????

that does seem high for a roundabout, but I assume it will cost a pretty penny to move utilities and also acquire any additional ROW. Roundabouts do work though :)

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It's been a long time since I lived in Denton.  I never knew that intersection had become such an issue. What's driving the traffic there? 

There is a tremendous amount of construction around Denton. So many road closures and detours but many businesses, housing, apartments. Just so much growth. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Eye Roll 1

I wonder if they're going to need to imminent domain part of the house at the northwest corner, the parking lot of the doctor's office in the southwest corner, and who knows what they are going to do with the retaining wall on the southeast side of the intersection.  Why not just put a light?  That would be way cheaper and just as effective. Stupid city planners always love roundabouts and I don't understand why. They are pain in the ass and if there really is a high volume of traffic they can cause even more delays.  Just put a damn light there.  What a joke.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Google's source saysthey are safer but that doesn't mean they are faster or more efficient.  Part of the reason traffic lights are better on a grid system is it helps control the flow of traffic in a more predictable manner if timed properly.

But regardless in differences in efficiency or safety, the biggest issue I have with this is spending $3.4 million on ONE intersection when a stop light would probably work just as well.

Screenshot_20190609-110439.png

@peanuts104, if you click the same Google source, there is further reading on the following:

• Reduce delay, improve traffic flow
  • Less expensive
  • Less Space
  • Good Locations

"if timed properly" is such a big IF.  I find most of them badly timed.  I don't understand in our world of technological wonder why we can't install sensors that help traffic flow better.  How many times have each of us sat and waited at a red light for nothing? Is that not avoidable with some reasonable sensors, or is there some logic/barrier that I'm overlooking?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Less expensive

I guess. I wonder if the cost of putting in a traffic signal at that intersection exceeds $3.4 million.  I'm sorry I'm just having a difficult time understanding why the city would need to spend that much money on that intersection.  A traffic light seems way more plug and play than a roundabout.

• Upvote 1

Having seen what roundabouts have done here in Conway on our 2 major arterials, they are much more effective than lights as far as traffic movement, now cost has to be looked at long term, but had a rounadbout replace a light on a US Highway thru town and what once meant sitting for 5-10 min at a light now traffic flows smoothly, also slows down cars. 

As for the potential for more accidents, one can not fix stupid or piss poor drivers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Without looking at infrastructure that has to be moved/replaced, property buys, and the rest, that does seem like an oddly high amount for one intersection, though if it's designed to scale with growth, then it makes sense that it be a rather extensive project.

Also, I'm on board with roundabouts. They're proven to be safer and allow for faster traffic flow than stoplights, even when well timed with other lights (which is asking for a lot). 

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

It's been a long time since I lived in Denton.  I never knew that intersection had become such an issue. 

It hasn't...a simple stop LIGHT would fix all issues for a ton less cash.  Ridiculous waste of time and taxpayer money...but...Denton.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

It hasn't...a simple stop LIGHT would fix all issues for a ton less cash.  Ridiculous waste of time and taxpayer money...but...Denton.

a roundabout actually does make sense at that intersection, with growth of the commercial  to the north and the hospital district traffic will increase greatly while not having to deal with the inconvenience of a light that slows traffic. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1