Confirmed Derrick Shaw has left the program

So we are down to 11 defensive lineman including incoming freshmen aside from Demeco Rowland and not including David Sow by my count?

Seniors - English, Sa'afi, Hamilton, and Mcmillan. I know there were good comments from our DL coach about this group this spring but I'll be very surprised if anyone besides Hamilton makes an impact this year out of this group. We REALLY need someone besides Hamilton to play well this year. IMO Mcmillan and Sa'afi were depth signings last year I don't see them magically becoming much better players and we all know about the injury history of English.

Juniors - Pichon(transfer not on scholarship to my knowledge) Colvin, Novil. Colvin played a backup role and Novil played quite a bit, hopefully Novil putting on a bunch of weight and moving inside won't hurt him as a player. Hopefully Colvin makes a big jump in his second year of FBS football.

Sophomores - ???

Freshmen - Jimmy Walker, Leblanc (RS) Jake Jones (RS walk on) Kenneth Dotson. Both Walker and Dotson are solid players, I wish we had the luxury of reshirting those guys but maybe one of them is ready to play this fall.

Maybe I am missing someone but that's a pretty thin group that will be even thinner next season, combine that with the loss of Fine Bussey etc on offense and 2020 could be rough. 

Losing Shaw is a blow, but I expect the fact that LeBlanc beat out Shaw has something to do with his departure.  As long as Novil and LeBlanc keep coming on, we ought to be okay at NT for the next couple of years.  But we absolutely need to get at least one true hit at NT in this next class.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Say we lose Hamilton or Novil for an extended time this season. What exactly is the plan because behind them we will either have sophmore KD Davis (who I feel good about) two senior walk ons (Lemasters, Linehan) an undersized LB in JR Tyreke Davis who just changed positions and a host of freshman/RS freshman who are still green because we missed and or didn't sign enough front seven guys in 2016/2017. 

This is alarming to say the least, we could very well be getting pushed around up front in addition to getting torched by backfield passes this season. I knew we would take a step back defensively now I'm starting to worry it will be worse than that.

• Upvote 1

We are absolutely cursed at DT it seems. How many recruits/ players have we lost at DT over the last 7 or so years? It’s like the football gods decided that Booger and Mean Joe exceeded our quota and now we must forever struggle.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

So we are down to 11 defensive lineman including incoming freshmen aside from Demeco Rowland and not including David Sow by my count?

Seniors - English, Sa'afi, Hamilton, and Mcmillan. I know there were good comments from our DL coach about this group this spring but I'll be very surprised if anyone besides Hamilton makes an impact this year out of this group. We REALLY need someone besides Hamilton to play well this year. IMO Mcmillan and Sa'afi were depth signings last year I don't see them magically becoming much better players and we all know about the injury history of English.

Juniors - Pichon(transfer not on scholarship to my knowledge) Colvin, Novil. Colvin played a backup role and Novil played quite a bit, hopefully Novil putting on a bunch of weight and moving inside won't hurt him as a player. Hopefully Colvin makes a big jump in his second year of FBS football.

Sophomores - ???

Freshmen - Jimmy Walker, Leblanc (RS) Jake Jones (RS walk on) Kenneth Dotson. Both Walker and Dotson are solid players, I wish we had the luxury of reshirting those guys but maybe one of them is ready to play this fall.

Maybe I am missing someone but that's a pretty thin group that will be even thinner next season, combine that with the loss of Fine Bussey etc on offense and 2020 could be rough. 

Not sure why you think Saafi and McMillan are only depth signings, I suspect both will see a lot of action next year.  There is a history of jucos not producing in their first year that come on strong after that.  

I doubt the loss of Shaw changes much of anything.  Novel will probably start at NT with LeBlanc and English as back up.  Saafi and Colvin can play the middle as well as de.  NT's best defensive player Hamilton will play on de and there will be a number vying for the other de position.  

Again I think NT defense has a great chance to be improved this year after some early growing pains.  

Way too early about worrying about 2020.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why you think Saafi and McMillan are only depth signings, I suspect both will see a lot of action next year.  There is a history of jucos not producing in their first year that come on strong after that.  

I doubt the loss of Shaw changes much of anything.  Novel will probably start at NT with LeBlanc and English as back up.  Saafi and Colvin can play the middle as well as de.  NT's best defensive player Hamilton will play on de and there will be a number vying for the other de position.  

Again I think NT defense has a great chance to be improved this year after some early growing pains.  

Way too early about worrying about 2020.  

Umm.. their tape, their offers, the fact that both are in their last year of eligibility and we're hoping they magically make a big jump as players. Both Wheeler and Ejiya were good players year one on campus, I don't know where the thought that in year two they vastly improve comes from. I agree they both will see a lot of action but that is because we haven't signed enough defensive lineman out of high school who have panned out. Losing Shaw who I believe was projected to play inside isn't the biggest deal in the world but it's another high school DL signee who hasn't worked out. We can't keep missing at that position.