Current count of commits by position. What do we need next?

Harry

10 UNT Commits as of 6-6-19

QB: 1 Kade Renfro

RB: 1  Isaiah Johnson

WR:  1 Loronzo Thompson

TE: 1 Christian Lee

OL: 4 Erik Williams, Dane Jackson,  Kade Bond, Jett Duncan

DL: 1 Jamal Ligon

LB: 0

DB: 1 Jason Kerl Jr.

ATH: 0

ST: 0

With the exception of the OL, pretty spread out.  Assuming we have another 12 to give, where do they go for 2020 class?

3 WR, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB, 1 ATH, 1 TE, 1 Wildcard?

This doesn't seem to jibe with the current staff's philosophy, but I believe we should give one scholly to a placekicker.  A top kicker will make the difference between a win and a loss at least once a season.  We lucked out with the Cole Hedlund situation in many ways--the fact that things had gone south at Arkansas, the fact that he had an immediate connection with UNT, the fact that he found his lost touch after he got to UNT.  We can't count on things working out like that every year.  The only way we got a top kicker like Trevor Moore on campus is because we offered him a scholarship, and that's something we need to be willing to do every 4 years.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This doesn't seem to jibe with the current staff's philosophy, but I believe we should give one scholly to a placekicker.  A top kicker will make the difference between a win and a loss at least once a season.  We lucked out with the Cole Hedlund situation in many ways--the fact that things had gone south at Arkansas, the fact that he had an immediate connection with UNT, the fact that he found his lost touch after he got to UNT.  We can't count on things working out like that every year.  The only way we got a top kicker like Trevor Moore on campus is because we offered him a scholarship, and that's something we need to be willing to do every 4 years.

I completely agree.
Wasn't Bazaldua on scholarship under Dickey as well?   
Then, when we don't have scholarshipped kickers, we have hard times finding good ones, and every kick is a nail-biter.

• Upvote 2

I think we need to differentiate the DL as DE & DT. We have 0 DT's. We had 0 DT's last class. We need 3 DT's that are capable and ideally touted by other programs to commit into this class. 

I would fill the remaining slots with:

DT: 3

WR: 2 OR WR:1 TE:1

LB: 2

DE: 1

DB: 2

ATH: 2 (TE/DE/WR/S;Nickel) There is wiggle room here. This is the Gary Patterson approach. Get the best players you can get and plug and play. It's a philosophy I can't argue with. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think we need to differentiate the DL as DE & DT. We have 0 DT's. We had 0 DT's last class. We need 3 DT's that are capable and ideally touted by other programs to commit into this class. 

ATH: 2 (TE/DE/WR/S;Nickel) There is wiggle room here. This is the Gary Patterson approach. Get the best players you can get and plug and play. It's a philosophy I can't argue with. 

I agree we could probably differentiate NT and end.  Demeco Roland was the guy we recruited at DT and he ended up at JC.

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We offer every DT out there that has D1 talent, take the first ten that respond and save two scholarships for last minute needs.

16 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't think the staff feel DT is a position of need or that we have depth issues. 

also I believe the staff views signees from last class Jimmy Walker and Kenneth Dotson to make the same trasition Dion Novil has made. Both are super athletic for 6'3 255. when Dion Novil signed he was 6'3 255 as well. Now he is 315. I would not be suprised to see both red shirt and add good weight just like Dion has. DT is just like the OT position. Some times you have to get projects and develop. This staff think you can add weight but you cant add athleticism.

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't think the staff feel DT is a position of need or that we have depth issues. 

also I believe the staff views signees from last class Jimmy Walker and Kenneth Dotson to make the same trasition Dion Novil has made. Both are super athletic for 6'3 255. when Dion Novil signed he was 6'3 255 as well. Now he is 315. I would not be suprised to see both red shirt and add good weight just like Dion has. DT is just like the OT position. Some times you have to get projects and develop. This staff think you can add weight but you cant add athleticism.

This is not the position to be doing this with. Especiallly with consistency. You take flyers on guys and hope you can bulk them and develop them. You can't have a position group full of flyers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is not the position to be doing this with. Especiallly with consistency. You take flyers on guys and hope you can bulk them and develop them. You can't have a position group full of flyers. 

Im sure the staff would love to take 320 lb 4 stars. But until you start winning double digits and top 25 year end year out you have to develop. Taking athletic/versatile 255 pounders isn't qualified as flyers. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Im sure the staff would love to take 320 lb 4 stars. But until you start winning double digits and top 25 year end year out you have to develop. Taking athletic/versatile 255 pounders isn't qualified as flyers. 

Well, no shit. 

We'll disagree on this based on you protecting this problem and me pointing it out. And you know good and damn well no one is asking for 320lb 4-stars. 

• Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, no shit. 

We'll disagree on this based on you protecting this problem and me pointing it out. And you know good and damn well no one is asking for 320lb 4-stars. 

Related image

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

3 Demeco Roland type DTs. Or 2 and a JUCO. 6'1"+ 280 coming out of HS that isn't a developmental project via measurables. We can't ask every kid coming in at 240/250 to put on 60/70 pounds and expect it to happen. 

Yes Demeco Roland was very nice..... the reason he didn't have P5 offers was grades... we took a flyer. if he would have been a 4.0 like Dodson he would probably be in the big 12. That the reason you cant land those guys every year.  They aren't going to ask every kid to put on 65 pounds. But when you have athleticism and the frame you have versatility. This defense they value quickness over power and size. sometimes you can get both rod young/dion novil. I a not saying it is right. Just their philosophy. Also be on the look out I think we are close on a couple DT that will tickle your fancy.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes Demeco Roland was very nice..... the reason he didn't have P5 offers was grades... we took a flyer. if he would have been a 4.0 like Dodson he would probably be in the big 12. That the reason you cant land those guys every year.  They aren't going to ask every kid to put on 65 pounds. But when you have athleticism and the frame you have versatility. This defense they value quickness over power and size. sometimes you can get both rod young/dion novil. I a not saying it is right. Just their philosophy. Also be on the look out I think we are close on a couple DT that will tickle your fancy.

Tickle away...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also noticed Saafi at 300 lbs and Colvin at 286 lbs 

Looks like they're trying to have more size/positional versatility, which would make sense for what they're recruiting.

Get a DE at 250-260, teach him/redshirt him, get him to gain 20-30 pounds, and you got a guy who can line up at all 3 spots on the DL

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2