Heisman Website for Mason Fine

I like the gumption of the AD. he can show that we can support a Heisman candidate. i believe if mason has a record breaking year, he will not win because the voters will discredit the conference he is playing in. on the same not if he has a record breaking year, maybe we will win the conference and a bowl game. i will be happy with that.  

• Upvote 6

I suspect that most on this board are at least two generations removed from WWII.  Mr father graduated from high school in 1941, enlisted in the army and following his stateside training was shipped off with the Fifth Army to participate in the Italian campaign as a mortar gunner.  About a year and a half later, he returned from the front with injuries which plagued him the rest of his life.   I thought about him a lot on June 6th.

As I read this debate, I am trying to think what he would have to say about all of this. 

My guess is that he would have preferred another day be chosen for this very special announcement.  I realize the significance of 6/6 but this was also the 75th anniversary of D-Day and also most certainly the last time any of the participants will be alive for a major commemoration.

None of this downplays the significance of Mason Fine's accomplishments. He is by all accounts a very special young man and I suspect that if his service was really needed in the military, he would be among the first to volunteer.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I've never been more torn between my allegiance to the U.S.A. and/or Mason Fine.

I get your sarcasm. I don't think this diminishes D-Day anymore than it would have diminished Christmas, Veterans Day, etc. etc.. Obviously 6/6 was chosen for a different reason. 5 years ago, we had no players worthy of pushing for such an award and weren't progressive enough to push them if we did. I'm deeply patriotic but this didn't bother me in the slightest and am kind of surprised it did bother others.

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

had Mason Fine been at Normandy, the whole thing would've been over in 20 minutes. Hitler would've ran straight to the bunker after and that five year old who died on August 6, 1945 in Hiroshima would've gone on to cure cancer by the mid-70s, as was his destiny. 

face it, Rick, we're just churning out better men now a days and Mason Fine is chief (ha) among them. 

Let's just take a moment and bask in your sig. That's a beauty, there. And, like clockwork, your response was some middle school IQ drivel. Carry on. 

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think everyone knows he can’t win a Heisman no matter what. But this puts him out there to more mainstream fans and perhaps aids his chances at other awards (O’Brien perhaps) and the NFL draft. 

It also promotes the NT Mean Green brand, which is always a good thing.

We’re gonna need to tell the Star Telegram since there was nothing in the paper today about it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

I agree with Sig381. Gumption has always been something that has been historically missing in our Athletic Department decision makers. As my dear department mother used to tell us "you'll never get what you really want, unless you ask for it"  We now have a group in the Athletic department who are not afraid to ask......make that boldly ask...….. Way to go guys!...👍

Now, as to Rick's concern. If they would have asked me, I would have suggested (because of Mason Fine's heritage) that his Heisman publicity launch take place on the anniversary of Custer's last stand...….June 26th.

Custer Had It Coming Patch - Native American "Indian" with Headdress (Iron On)

...not his men mind you...……..just Custer.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, Aldo said:

Not directed at you, but none of this downplays freaking D-Day.

Everyone knows it was a pivotal moment in a brutal war where the good guys sacrificed so much and won out.

America is freaking great, but you know what, Mason Fine is great, too!

Maybe not America great, but still great.

Also my sister's birthday is 6/6. We just yell at her NO PRESENTS FOR YOU JERK BECAUSE IT DOWNPLAYS HOW MUCH SACRIFICE THIS COUNTRY HAS GIVEN UP.

Misplaced, misguided, and sanctimonious.

Of effing course we should be commemorating American sacrifices that happened on that specific day, but those exact sacrifices have allowed the rest of the world to keep going and we all appreciate it. Not to mention there were pivotal battles over different continents happening on different dates and different wars. 

best answer...thank you Aldo for a moment of clarity & reason.

Rick's post is more about "Rick" than D-Day, Mason Fine or Aldo's sisters birthday.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, 3XL said:

Rick's post is more about "Rick" than D-Day, Mason Fine or Aldo's sisters birthday.

Nope!

But since you chose three days later to bring it back up I’ll restate my opinion.

D-Day is a day of rememberance for our country to many who care, not a day to promote our favorite entertainment.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

7 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

then why did you even log-in, let alone respond to a GMG thread on D-Day? shouldn't you have been out there rememberancing? 

I don't think anyone who stormed those beaches 75 years ago had the chance to be sanctimonious and self-righteous on an internet forum, so why don't you try and show some respect? Asshat. 

dramatic drama GIF by Selena Gomez

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3