DRC: Kade Renfro talks about decision to play for UNT

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

In the event that Lincoln Riley goes to the NFL and OU offers the job to Littrell after we go undefeated, Mike Yurcich is one of my top candidates. At least if that happens he would likely be able to keep Renfro

I think the days of assuming successful college coaches go to the NFL are gone.

Why would you go to the NFL when college jobs pay well, you have complete control, and are worshipped all over town (if your successful).

If I was Lincoln, I wouldn't be going anywhere

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Why would you go to the NFL when college jobs pay well, you have complete control, and are worshipped all over town (if your successful).

Exactly. Saban is a great example. Head coaches in college pretty much have total control of their program and don’t have to deal with GM’s and meddling owners. 

4 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Because the whole recruiting game is tiring and pretending you like all those 18 year olds and then having to derecruit them and their families is not for everyone. Some people just want to just coach ball and get paid millions for it without having to deal with all that administration.

• Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Because the whole recruiting game is tiring and pretending you like all those 18 year olds and then having to derecruit them and their families is not for everyone. Some people just want to just coach ball and get paid millions for it without having to deal with all that administration.

7D2CBF14-D050-4723-965C-E23D966ADE98.jpeg.574e2556fc5166b304309891e04a99fc.jpeg

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m saying he would have stayed in the NFL though if he could have.

Oh, I agree, but I think a big sticking point is the GM's involved in the draft, as opposed to Saban/college coaches having total control of his roster.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Let’s all be honest with ourselves: if a storied program like FSU or OSU offers this kid (or any of them) is likely gone. This isn’t like recruiting against Kansas or Iowa St.

Why are they recruiting him now?? makes me wonder...Kid just started to get interest after we offered

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Let’s all be honest with ourselves: if a storied program like FSU or OSU offers this kid (or any of them) is likely gone. This isn’t like recruiting against Kansas or Iowa St.

While I do agree with you for the most part, this class seems different. I think the fact that they're all talking to each other and recruiting each other is huge.

Not saying some guys won't jump at "bigger" offers, but it seems less likely with this class.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Why are they recruiting him now?? makes me wonder...Kid just started to get interest after we offered

And they may not be actively recruiting him. He could be going to the camps to get coaching from top programs or to get noticed by them. Which is fine. We want high caliber recruits that believe they can be successful anywhere. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

And they may not be actively recruiting him. He could be going to the camps to get coaching from top programs or to get noticed by them. Which is fine. We want high caliber recruits that believe they can be successful anywhere. 

Bingo.   Build up your brand Kade.  Keep doing what you’re doing.   

Looks like he’s having a heckuva summer!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just my thinking, and I hope I’m wrong (and hope he’s enjoying himself) but getting the feeling Kade might not be a member of the Mean Green next year. Seems a little too interested (based on the comments) in "the greener grass next door". Again, hope I’m wrong.

Questions -

• Do we continue to recruit actively recruit other QB's
  • Does having him as a commitment hurt us in recruiting other QB's? 
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Smith said:

He's a great kid from a wonderful family.  Let him have his day in the sun. 

Great people they are indeed

I'm not in any way questioning the kid, or his family. Just wondering what the process is for "protecting" UNT program is? We don't have a long history of getting early recruits like we are now seeing 😊

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m saying he would have stayed in the NFL though if he could have.

That's not how I remember it.  He wasn't fired.  He showed signs of buyer's remorse pretty early in his tenure with the Dolphins.  I just think he preferred the greater control he was given at the college level.

Similar deal with Petrino when he left the Falcons for the Hogs.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Marty said:

This is one I could see him flipping to, that Briles-Stephenville connection.

1.  This is what bothers me about this whole committing via social media and asking people to respect your decision.  Earn that respect and act loyal to the school you are committed to instead of posting stuff from other schools and stating how you are looking forward to learning from their coaches in the future.  I will respect your commitment when you show respect towards those you are committed to.

2.  Yes, the Briles-Stephenville ties are strong, but are they strong enough that you want to play for someone with a checkered past like Lil' Briles and his statement about the white girls liking the black boys then basically walking away scott free?  Lil' Briles is a hell of a coach, not sure his character is as great.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3