DRC: UNT reached new heights in 2018-19

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Only at UNT is women's basketball considered a major sport. #GetBaseball

I know.  It's borderline insanity.  I bet UConn, Stanford, Texas, UNC, etc... are all as surprised as you are.😝

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Only at UNT is women's basketball considered a major sport. #GetBaseball

It’s always been my understanding (since late 1990s) that these three sports were the only ones that came close to generating a positive revenue.  All the others were investments.

This is the first time I’ve seen them called “major” rather than “money” sports.  I don’t think it’s a big deal.  I also have no idea how much truth there is to the first paragraph.

• Ray 1

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And UT baseball has been a national power for years. 

What's Mitchell's salary? I think around 200k. I think the women's attendance average is like 1000. What's it cost to get into a woman's game? $7-10? Around 15-16 home games? Ticket sales don't even cover her salary. Let alone her assistants, equipment and travel costs. And most programs are similar to this model than to UCONN's. Women's basketball is not a major sport or money sport. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What's Mitchell's salary? I think around 200k. I think the women's attendance average is like 1000. What's it cost to get into a woman's game? $7-10? Around 15-16 home games? Ticket sales don't even cover her salary. Let alone her assistants, equipment and travel costs. And most programs are similar to this model than to UCONN's. Women's basketball is not a major sport or money sport. 

Geez, run that type of analysis on football if you want to see huge loses.

If a school is not in the top echelon of the P5's, they are going to lose a lot of money on their sports program.

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Geez, run that type of analysis on football if you want to see huge loses.

If a school is not in the top echelon of the P5's, they are going to lose a lot of money on their sports program.

Not necessarily true. Many "lesser" programs flirt with breaking even in football, including UNT. I believe we were 1 or 2 million away in expenditures vs revenue. Most programs in women's basketball bleed money at a cyclical rate and there's not really even a platform to defend it. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not necessarily true. Many "lesser" programs flirt with breaking even in football, including UNT. I believe we were 1 or 2 million away in expenditures vs revenue. Most programs in women's basketball bleed money at a cyclical rate and there's not really even a platform to defend it. 

No, you are using different basis for different comments.  You were looking at women basketball on a revenue vs expense basis excluding student fees and school transfers.   

If you take those elements out of the equation, there are no lesser programs including NT that come anywhere close to breaking even in football.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And UT baseball has been a national power for years. 

I think Ben's point was that college athletics typically refers to the "big three" as football, men's basketball, and baseball.  Since we don't have baseball we are relegated to calling a different sport part of the "big three."  You pointed out some schools where women's basketball is clearly a bigger draw and brings more exposure than baseball--I was just saying that UT probably isn't one of them.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

No, you are using different basis for different comments.  You were looking at women basketball on a revenue vs expense basis excluding student fees and school transfers.   

If you take those elements out of the equation, there are no lesser programs including NT that come anywhere close to breaking even in football.   

I mean, sure. 

But ticket sales for football cover ALL coaching salaries and more. 

Women's basketball ticket sales don't even cover the HC salary. 

This is looking at it in the most elementary level.  

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think Ben's point was that college athletics typically refers to the "big three" as football, men's basketball, and baseball.  Since we don't have baseball we are relegated to calling a different sport part of the "big three."  You pointed out some schools where women's basketball is clearly a bigger draw and brings more exposure than baseball--I was just saying that UT probably isn't one of them.

the kid mero what GIF by Desus & Mero

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I mean, sure. 

But ticket sales for football cover ALL coaching salaries and more. 

Women's basketball ticket sales don't even cover the HC salary. 

This is looking at it in the most elementary level.  

NT loses a lot more on football and MBB than WBB.  I just don't get the point you are making. 

Unless it is that WBB has substantially less fans.  However, at NT they still have better attendance than much better woman's programs as soccer and softball.  

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT loses a lot more on football and MBB than WBB.  I just don't get the point you are making. 

Unless it is that WBB has substantially less fans.  However, at NT they still have better attendance than much better woman's programs as soccer and softball.  

The point, from the beginning, is women's basketball is not a major sport.