Time to invite Liberty to C-USA?

I'm not an expert, but it seems we have a lot of tenured professors who are all about pushing political and religious beliefs and punishing those who do not agree. I understand tenure should allow them "freedom", but it should not allow them to be the judge, jury, and executioner. 

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

Professors should be evaluated on their teaching ability. That is what students pay them for. Tenure allows most to spend their time in research and very little teaching and they are untouchable once tenured. It is a jacked up system. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Professors should be evaluated on their teaching ability. That is what students pay them for. Tenure allows most to spend their time in research and very little teaching and they are untouchable once tenured. It is a jacked up system. 

But university rankings depend on getting grants for research. That Tier 1 ranking we brag about depends on this.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

I would be more interested in adding New Mexico St. as a basketball only school.

No cause the whole time they will be pushing us to add them in football and that just is not going to work.  I agree they have a decent basketball program though and would probably help our RPI.  But I see no reason to get their hopes up for FB by adding them.

• 10 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Cerebus said:

Yes.  One of the cornerstones of the western educational system, that frees researchers/educators from political influence from within and without the University needs to go... Congrats, you and Premier Xi JinPing agree whole-heartedly.

Tenure does need to go.   What other profession or job gets protected in such a way?  Yes, it can be argued that it fosters independence from pressure either outside or inside the university.  However, it also protects people that are not doing the job required. 

Tenure was a bad idea to start with, but now with skyrocketing costs (pre virus), it is even worse.   

Why should tenured professors not be subject to the same issues that every other employee faces?   Academic freedom from what?  

Ether the educator freely expressed his views before awarded tenure or he/she doesn't deserve it at all. 

Does anyone really want an individual that parrotted the party line until he got tenure and then quickly became much more opinionated?

Students pay for the best education possible, not to protect careers of teachers that may or may not be capable. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Tenure does need to go.   What other profession or job gets protected in such a way?  Yes, it can be argued that it fosters independence from pressure either outside or inside the university.  However, it also protects people that are not doing the job required. 

Tenure was a bad idea to start with, but now with skyrocketing costs (pre virus), it is even worse.   

Why should tenured professors not be subject to the same issues that every other employee faces?   Academic freedom from what?  

Ether the educator freely expressed his views before awarded tenure or he/she doesn't deserve it at all. 

Does anyone really want an individual that parrotted the party line until he got tenure and then quickly became much more opinionated?

Students pay for the best education possible, not to protect careers of teachers that may or may not be capable. 

Amen.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Tenure does NOT guarantee a job for life.  Tenure is also not necessarily easy to get.  Moral turpitude, financial exigency, and professional in competence are all grounds for termination.  It prevents administrators from dismissing faculty for flimsy reasons.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

23 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Tenure does NOT guarantee a job for life.  Tenure is also not necessarily easy to get.  Moral turpitude, financial exigency, and professional in competence are all grounds for termination.  It prevents administrators from dismissing faculty for flimsy reasons.

No one has stated that it is easy to get.  Yes,  the average time to tenure is 6 hard tough years of academic toil.  Most employees are lucky to get a wonderful fake precious metal pin after that amount of time. 

It is very difficult to terminate anyone with tenure no matter how incompetent they maybe. 

There are cited cases were tenured professors have actually refused to teach, as they consider themselves much more valuable as authors or researchers.

Judging by your screen name, you may not be in the best position to look at this issue in an unbiased matter.  I doubt there are very few that don't benefit from tenure that would ever defend it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

Tenure is also really hard to get. For every bad professor there are an overwhelming amount that contributes to scientific research. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Harry said:

No cause the whole time they will be pushing us to add them in football and that just is not going to work.  I agree they have a decent basketball program though and would probably help our RPI.  But I see no reason to get their hopes up for FB by adding them.

Harry, with all due respect, if their program is "decent" then with all honesty ours would be what, low level? 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a faculty member, I did have tenure, but as a dean, I had none.  I served at the pleasure of the president under the terms of a yearly  contract.  As a faculty member, I was subjected to the threat of lawsuits several times.  Having tenure gives you confidence to do the right thing rather  than the expedient.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, Graddean said:

As a faculty member, I did have tenure, but as a dean, I had none.  I served at the pleasure of the president under the terms of a yearly  contract.  As a faculty member, I was subjected to the threat of lawsuits several times.  Having tenure gives you confidence to do the right thing rather  than the expedient.

Understand, but it should not give the professor the freedom to take action against those who do not have their same political/religious views.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Understand, but it should not give the professor the freedom to take action against those who do not have their same political/religious views.

That doesn’t really happen very often. I disagreed with most of my professors politically and ideologically and they respected me. In fact some of the professors I disagreed with the most appreciated that I was a dissenting voice in a room that often agreed too easily. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1