Time to invite Liberty to C-USA?

18 hours ago, Harry said:

But they play NMSU twice.

They badly need a conference to help them fill-out a schedule without having to resort to such nonsense as playing the same team twice in one regular season.

I'm sure all the press around this subject is generated by them as it seems pretty clear that few really want to be associated with them....at this point in time.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Please elaborate?  

I am not sure who you are referring to as covering up 50 rapes.

Hate monger against who?

Fake college courses?

Again I am not attempting to protect the Falwells, but your post seems to be a prime example of some of the things you are railing against. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 6

43 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Please elaborate?  

Hate monger against who?

Fake college courses?

Again I am not attempting to protect the Falwells, but your post seems to be a prime example of some of the things you are railing against. 

read the articles and watch the videos. It’s pretty loud and clear 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

read the articles and watch the videos. It’s pretty loud and clear 

Non-answer if I ever read one.  

I am sure that there are videos and articles that both praise and scorn a controversial fundamentalist preacher.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Non-answer if I ever read one.  

I am sure that there are videos and articles that both praise and scorn a controversial fundamentalist preacher.

So you just aren’t interested in reading them or watching them? Because it is pretty clear what Liberty stands for. Morally and academically, that place is bankrupt. Financially, it is doing quite well because of the previous.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

You can research it, but since you don't, here are a few items.

1.  An online/distance learning program that pumps millions in to the school.  That wouldn't be a problem if education were their goal, but it appears to just be a money making program and not terribly stringent when it comes to teaching, etc...

2.  Hiring Baylor's former AD that was at Baylor when the sexual assault problems occurred.

Feel free to research Liberty University on your own.  Google is a good place to start.

Spot-on. Way too much baggage to bring into our Conference and it would be harming to our image if we invited them.

18 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Please elaborate?  

Hate monger against who?

Fake college courses?

@GrandGreen, from your response, it appears that you didn’t notice that the underlined statements from the post from @meanJewGreen are actually links to Internet pages to support his statements.  

Carry on.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

@GrandGreen, from your response, it appears that you didn’t notice that the underlined statements from the post from @meanJewGreen are actually links to Internet pages to support his statements.  

Carry on.  

As we all know .... if it is on the internet it must be true!!!

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 6

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Gotta give the MWC or the ACC a reason first.

Rick

Agreed and come on guys SMU will never allow us to be in their conference.  They would pick La Tech or UTEP before us and frankly they already did that to us before.  People forget when @Glad To Be Green was here we were a finalist for an open spot against UTEP but they ended up winning....it wasn’t based on merit.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed and come on guys SMU will never allow us to be in their conference.  They would pick La Tech or UTEP before us and frankly they already did that to us before.  People forget when @Glad To Be Green was here we were a finalist for an open spot against UTEP but they ended up winning....it wasn’t based on merit.

To hell with SMU. As WB stated, take over the area. Make our own path and dictate our own future without trembling about SMU letting us have a seat at their kids table. F them. 

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1

No to Liberty.

What benefit to UNT and CUSA would the addition of Liberty get us?  I know they offered a huge bunch of money to join CUSA, but how much of that would trickle down to the current members?  How much would Judy's "crack team" syphon off before the member schools  get anything?  Big raises and bonuses for Judy, etc.?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 5:58 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

Carry on.  

I looked at the links, but only after the first response.  My bad, but I don't think those items added much. 

I don't want anyone to think that I support Falwell in anyway.  Neither do I think that Liberty University is the albatross that some of you seem to believe.  

I think there are a lot of problems with a lot of on-line education offered at a lot of colleges.  

As far as hiring the AD from Baylor, that is a case of guilty before proven innocent.  I have no idea what he knew and when at Baylor.  He would not be my choice for that position, but Liberty is a private institution and can chose their leadership.     

I have great issue with so-called religious leaders that grow rich from their ministry.   However, people can support who they wish.  

Playing ORU, Liberty or BYU doesn't bother me.  BYU would be a sought after game, while the other two are not teams I would be interested in seeing play NT.   This has to do with the quality of the programs, not their religious affiliation or leadership.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Liberty is a non-starter for 347 different reasons. Lack of solid student base, absolutely no market, poor leadership decisions and institutional problems all augur against. Not gonna happen. 

As far as the Rice rumor, it's just part of the off-season joke competitions going around. With little realignment news, we've resorted to making our own fun. Not to say it would be impossible, Rice and the only FCS conference they've joined have talked, but I don't think there's anything coming down on that front. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't been on the board in a while, but I had to login to post this:

My problems with Liberty stem from their academics.  Several big programs are still unaccredited.  No tenure makes you a junior college, not a place of higher education. Their president has neither PHD or a Masters, the job is his becasue his name ends in Falwell Jr.  

44 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No tenure makes you a junior college, not a place of higher education. Their president has neither PHD or a Masters, the job is his becasue his name ends in Falwell Jr.  

We have had presidents without Ph.Ds.  Something about glass houses and stones.  I have seen many situations where the best man (or woman) for the job brings other traits and qualifications than what might be expected on a "checklist" of expected credentials.

And tenure is a ridiculous concept which needs to go just as surely as does the concept that tuition needs to increase 10% per year.  Only those who have a vested interest in protecting jobs regardless of performance want to preserve tenure.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't want Liberty at all, at least not now.  Their hiring of Freeze to replace a good man in Turner Gill makes me want them less.  But institutions who reject tenure at least get one thing right.

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2