Time to invite Liberty to C-USA?

Huge endowment, large athletic budget, power conference state of the art facilities, large student population with national enrollment footprint.   They fit perfectly into the C-USA eastern division geography.  Tons of political power as well.  Largest Christian University in the world.  We need to add them before the Belch or AAC does.

https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article/liberty-university-among-top-colleges-in-endowment-growth/

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38027

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 22

1 hour ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Huge endowment, large athletic budget, power conference state of the art facilities, large student population with national enrollment footprint.   They fit perfectly into the C-USA eastern division geography.  Tons of political power as well.  Largest Christian University in the world.  We need to add them before the Belch or AAC does.

https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article/liberty-university-among-top-colleges-in-endowment-growth/

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38027

Nope, too much baggage.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Both CUSA and the Belt turned them down 2 years ago. It’s not about money because they obviously have it and it’s not a question about  facilities, they’re great. It’s all the political and religious stuff that an athletic conference doesn’t want to deal with. Lastly, why let Liberty in when you have a better alternative in James Madison University? 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/21/16339764/liberty-football-fbs-conference-jerry-falwell-sun-belt

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

CUSA message saying that Rice is dropping down in football classification, FCS or lower.  Any truth to that?

I hope not.  If they do choose this route, then they should be removed from CUSA and replaced with someone else.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I see no objections for SMU, TCU, Baylor, Notre Dame or any of the great number of religious affiliated schools. 

The obvious reason is those teams are in general not influenced at all by their affiliation.

Not as true with Liberty, who seem to take their religion a lot more seriously which they have every right to do so. 

I am not religious at all, but the anti-Liberty bias seems over the top to me. 

Look at some of the things that many of the power schools have gotten away with that actually affect competition. 

It seems to me a lot of people are putting down a lot of good students and athletes only because they don't like Jerry Falwell, sr. or jr. 

Having say that, CUSA doesn't need more teams.    

Agree, and I’d add Brigham Young to your list as well.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I see no objections for SMU, TCU, Baylor, Notre Dame or any of the great number of religious affiliated schools. 

The obvious reason is those teams are in general not influenced at all by their affiliation.

Not as true with Liberty, who seem to take their religion a lot more seriously which they have every right to do so. 

I am not religious at all, but the anti-Liberty bias seems over the top to me. 

Look at some of the things that many of the power schools have gotten away with that actually affect competition. 

It seems to me a lot of people are putting down a lot of good students and athletes only because they don't like Jerry Falwell, sr. or jr. 

Having say that, CUSA doesn't need more teams.    

I mostly agree with this.  What C-USA definitely does not need is another team just transitioning to FBS. 

If they begin making some national noise--in a positive way--then I would be willing to revisit adding Liberty.  Now is not the time to invite them.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I think if they can get to a bowl game with 6 wins it will be a huge win for them. They’ll be right on the brink of doing that this upcoming season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I saw that Liberty offered something close to 30 million to join the conference. So why the hell not? Kick Charlotte out and give us some of that dough. That’s 2 million and some change per a team in the conference, could be greatly used to keep our football momentum going. Charlotte <<<<Liberty

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2