Tobe Nwigwe article from Texas Monthly

Marty

Hot Mean Green Sports opinion:   
I'd take 2008 & 2009 Robertson/Nwigwe over any other combo of LBs we've had since I've been following the Mean Green, which would include any combo of Hurd/Kassell/Spencer and Orr/Akunne (In 2010, Senior Robertson played with true Freshman Orr, but Orr was still developing that year).   
They just played on some flat out AWFUL teams, and had virtually no help behind them, and very little in front of them.  If those two guys lined up on those SBC champ teams or early McCarney teams, we would talk them up much more than we do.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering, but it sounds like he feels the "team" was not there for him after his accident. does he maintain a relationship with the Athletic department?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he felt that way. And those feelings would extend to the fans as well......which is a long standing issue with the program.

I'll never forget the look of surprise on Tom Middaugh's face after he had told me his name while we were chatting in the stands at Fouts  about 10 years ago and I said "well, there he is, #87 on your program".  This is a guy that was all-conference at DE and lettered four years, and yet he had NO expectation that he would ever be remembered. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering, but it sounds like he feels the "team" was not there for him after his accident. does he maintain a relationship with the Athletic department?

I remember a story that came out about him crashing at Coach Dodge's house over a holiday break one year, so it's not like he had a Carlos Harris-type relationship with the team. 

Haven't seen him back in a while though (to my knowledge).   

It would be very cool to have a Tobe pre/postgame show at a game this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1