DRC: McCasland confident transfers will elevate program

Last year's squad had a lot of sameness in terms of size and skill on the wings which helped addressing cross matches in transition but seemed to cause congestion on offense because most of the team members' greatest offensive ability was to create their own shot.

These newcomers appear to bring some play making that we lacked when Ryan wasn't on the floor or available.  Hopefully, the offense should flow more smoothly as a result.

I also remain convinced that Smart's tough year was a direct result of his injury and difficulty getting back into peak shape afterward.  I think we see a return to form for him in the 19-20 season.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

I also remain convinced that Smart's tough year was a direct result of his injury and difficulty getting back into peak shape afterward.  I think we see a return to form for him in the 19-20 season.

I’m hoping we don’t talk about Smart’s 2017-18 season like we talk about “Freshman Jamario”.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m hoping we don’t talk about Smart’s 2017-18 season like we talk about “Freshman Jamario”.

Thomas was injured and never really recovered his quickness.

Smart to me, looked completely healthy later in the season.  I believe his shooting woes were a confidence issue. 

Smart with a year of practice should return to sophomore form.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Cooley said:

You'll never elevate a program without quality big men. 

I think you are right, but I think we are headed in the right direction. Judging from his improvement from Frosh to Soph, I think Z. Simmons may end up as one of the best big men this program has ever had.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

21 hours ago, GangGreen said:

I think you are right, but I think we are headed in the right direction. Judging from his improvement from Frosh to Soph, I think Z. Simmons may end up as one of the best big men this program has ever had.

You aren't going to win him over since the team is coached by McCasland and not Benford.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2