Just goes to show

emmitt01

Please remind me, what was Briles convicted of? Seems more and more we live in a time of Guilty unless proven innocent. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for the man, but as a society, we are getting to the point where we want to be the judge and jury and pass sentences on what someone should be able to do the rest of their lives.

I guess a lot of you on here are very careful of the shows, movies, music, and professional sports you watch and listen to since so many in those industries have been accused of crimes. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

13 hours ago, Moobs said:

What could go wrong here? 

antoine dodson hide yo kids GIF by Amanda

Not a Briles fan and not defending him because I know he didn't have control of his program, but I don't think he was accused of any sexual assaults.  Also, I doubt he's going to be recruiting any bad characters to Mt. Vernon, so I think the women and children will be safe.

He's gone from head coach at a Big 12 school to head coach at a 3A school.  He was making upwards of $4 million a year now he's making probably around $60K.  Not to mention his reputation is obviously shot.  Plus, he's 63 years old so I doubt this is a stepping stone to getting back to a major college job.  He's paid a hefty price for his "crimes" and rightfully so.

The sad part and the hypocrisy is that Mt. Vernon will probably have greater attendance numbers at their football games next year than any 3A school in Texas.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Luckily there is less (not necessarily none though) recruiting going on at the high school level. I wonder if the punishment to have to go back to the high school ranks is accurate, and likelyit is not. But I can kind of live with it, as I am sure he feels the loss of renome acutely. Still I would seriously hope that Mt. Vernon keeps a very attentive eye on its football programs (read not just the players) demeanor off the field at all times.

That said, if I were on the board at a high school, I probably would have said let some other school take that man on. Even if he is succesful on thefield, hiring him is not a message I would want to have to explain to the Moms and girls and media in my school district.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

My former high school played against Mount Vernon. We were a diverse school, and they were not. When they played this past year, I heard their players were using racial slurs against my high schools players. The game was so chippy that they had a post game meeting between the refs and coaches from each team. The head coach before Art  literally left for a job 15 mins down the road at Winnsboro. I have heard Mount Vernon is like any small town from East Texas.  The school board is full of “good ole boys”. There are people from Mount Vernon defending this hire on the East Texas sports forum. They are trying to argue that he had a clean record at Stephenville, and he didn’t get charged with any crimes. I’m glad I moved away from back woods East Texas.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Why does he deserve a second chance? Baylor paid this dude $15m just for the pleasure of firing him. I’ll save my pity for the destitute. 

Hope you never screw up or get treated as a scapegoat, covering all bases here, and want a second chance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hope you never screw up or get treated as a scapegoat, covering all bases here, and want a second chance. 

He was the head coach of that team. He was ultimately responsible for his player's actions on and off the field. If he was ignorant to the institutional failures that led to the misconduct, he was either dumb, or willfully negligent. Let's not treat these guys with kid gloves.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, jtm0097 said:

The head coach before Art  literally left for a job 15 mins down the road at Winnsboro. 

You do realize the coach that left and went to Winnsboro is a Winnsboro graduate.  You try to paint it as though he wanted out of Mt. Vernon because its a bad place when you don't know why he left.  As far as some of the things you "heard,"  he may have some of the same issues because Mt. Vernon is in fact more diverse than Winnsboro (though I don't think anyone would describe either town as "diverse.")

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

You do realize the coach that left and went to Winnsboro is a Winnsboro graduate.  You try to paint it as though he wanted out of Mt. Vernon because its a bad place when you don't know why he left.  As far as some of the things you "heard,"  he may have some of the same issues because Mt. Vernon is in fact more diverse than Winnsboro (though I don't think anyone would describe either town as "diverse.")

You do realize I don’t live in East Texas anymore? Most of the stuff that I have heard are from people that coach in East Texas very close to Mount Vernon. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

You do realize I don’t live in East Texas anymore? Most of the stuff that I have heard are from people that coach in East Texas very close to Mount Vernon. 

Yes, I do.  You stated it in your first post and it's in your profile to the left of your posts.  I believe you live in Lewisville now.    

• Haha 2
  • Ray 1

10 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

He was the head coach of that team. He was ultimately responsible for his player's actions on and off the field. If he was ignorant to the institutional failures that led to the misconduct, he was either dumb, or willfully negligent. Let's not treat these guys with kid gloves.

I understand your feelings 100%, but I have some friends that have been heavily involved with Baylor for years that claim he was a scapegoat to the higher ups in the Baylor administration.  Basically, he took the fall to cover the asses of people above him.  Look, I despise Baylor with every fiber of my being, but if this is true, then he does deserve a second chance somewhere.  Would I take him at North Texas, absolutely not, but if what my friends tell me is true, then I believe he deserves a second chance.  He didn't move on to another college or move in to pro ball like some of the assistants on his staff including his son, he is starting over at a small nondescript school in east Texas. That is why I made the comment about "covering all of my bases."  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1