DRC (updated): First Responders Bowl moving to SMU's Ford Stadium for one season

Brett Vito

19 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I think you might be thinking of the Dallas Blackhawks...they were a minor league team for the Chicago Blackhawks in a league called the Central Hockey League.  It is understandable to me that you didn't care for it. I am not a rabid hockey fan myself, but I do follow the Dallas Stars closely.  You are probably put off by the tendency for some games to get bogged down in defense, because that bugs me too.  I prefer to watch offense with lots of shots on goal.

Yes, the Dallas Blackhawks.  Don’t care for hockey because I don’t know the game. Same for soccer.  Soccer is boring.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

Would have been great to get the game at Apogee.  However, I'll sacrifice it at the Cotton Bowl for a year for the Winter Classic. It's become a huge deal, and this is great exposure for the league, the state, the city, and the Cotton Bowl. And the Stars' opponent are the Nashville Predators. Their fans are die hard, and they are pretty much our rivals. Their is no love loss between the two teams. Nashville will bring a bunch of fans too. Make no mistake, this is a MASSIVE HUGE deal.  And it will sell out, if it hasn't already. When I bought my tickets the evening of the first day they were on sell, there were nose bleed seats going for over a thousand dollars. 

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 3

To those who think they're going to sell 40000 + thousand hockey tickets (I'll even lower the attendance) for a out door game on or around the first of the year.....I've been to several Stars games. Even when they are doing good there are still empty seats. And at the climax of the college football season hockey gonna fill (even halfway) the Cotton Bowl. Man......I want some of what your drinking or smoking!

Edited by RBP79
Sp
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

Back to the First Responders Bowl taking place at Ford Stadium....

Imagine UNT being selected for that bowl game against whoever.  Now imagine game day with one of the end zones re-painted(?) in green and NORTH TEXAS in white.  SWEET!!  And smut not qualifying for a bowl.   It would tear the heart out of all smut fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

To those who think they're going to sell 40000 + thousand hockey tickets (I'll even lower the attendance) for a out door game on or around the first of the year.....I've been to several Stars games. Even when they are doing good there are still empty seats. And at the climax of the college football season hockey gonna fill (even halfway) the Cotton Bowl. Man......I want some of what your drinking or smoking!

What do you think attendance will be, and how much do you want to bet?

10 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I know people out here in west Texas that have already purchased tickets for the hockey game.  The attraction goes beyond the fair weather fans of Dallas.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, outoftown said:

I did see some of those winter classics. But I wonder: how many of them were in Texas? I don't think there was even a single one anywhere close to the south before. This is a big experiment on the NHLs part

I remember one several years ago in L.A., I think at Dodger Stadium.

L.A. winters are definitely warmer than Dallas winters.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

This is the first one anywhere near Texas. However, promoted correctly it will sell out. 

Ticket prices are already ridiculous, so I imagine they do draw more than any Heart of Dallas Bowl before.

Meanwhile, how about two wins on SMU's turf in one season?

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, RBP79 said:

I don't think anyone's smoking funny cigarettes or drinking too much Jagermeister.  It's more of a fact that the Winter Classic is going to be a sellout.  At the bottom is a link to a DMN article re: same and here's a quote from NHL Commissionier Gary Bettman about the ticket sales from that article:  "The presale for the Winter Classic exceeded 60,000," Bettman told me before Game 6. "It's the second best we've had in our 27 outdoor games. It tells you what an incredible hockey market this is. People are really responding to the Winter Classic."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/04/22/thanks-incredible-hockey-market-stars-predators-becoming-one-nhls-popular-winter-classic-matchups

I spend my disposable $$ on basically two things -- UNT football season tickets and Stars season tickets (with 4 others to keep the prices reasonable).  As a huge Stars fan, I can tell you hockey on January 1st at the Cotton Bowl is going to be epic.  Can't wait!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, vpackrats said:

I don't think anyone's smoking funny cigarettes or drinking too much Jagermeister.  It's more of a fact that the Winter Classic is going to be a sellout.  At the bottom is a link to a DMN article re: same and here's a quote from NHL Commissionier Gary Bettman about the ticket sales from that article:  "The presale for the Winter Classic exceeded 60,000," Bettman told me before Game 6. "It's the second best we've had in our 27 outdoor games. It tells you what an incredible hockey market this is. People are really responding to the Winter Classic."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/04/22/thanks-incredible-hockey-market-stars-predators-becoming-one-nhls-popular-winter-classic-matchups

I spend my disposable $$ on basically two things -- UNT football season tickets and Stars season tickets (with 4 others to keep the prices reasonable).  As a huge Stars fan, I can tell you hockey on January 1st at the Cotton Bowl is going to be epic.  Can't wait!

I'm right there with you. My money goes to NT season tickets and to Stars games. Now that I'm back in DFW, I may try to get Stars Season tickets. The Winter Classic is going to be epic. I got mine the first evening of presale. 

I guess RBP realized he was off and isn't going to take my bet. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, RBP79 said:

The people smoking something are the ones who couldn’t do a simple search to see how tickets sales are doing. Here, I’ll do it for you: https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/23/2020-nhl-winter-classic-cotton-bowl-sold-out/amp/

The damn thing sold out. In minutes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

The people smoking something are the ones who couldn’t do a simple search to see how tickets sales are doing. Here, I’ll do it for you: https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/23/2020-nhl-winter-classic-cotton-bowl-sold-out/amp/

The damn thing sold out. In minutes. 

Hmm...you got me there. Now let's see how many show up. What are the ticket prices...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

My disposable income goes to Mean Green football and FC Dallas season tickets. I can tell there are a lot of FCD fans that are avid Stars nuts too. Give me the fringe Any Day!  

GMG 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, RBP79 said:

Hmm...you got me there. Now let's see how many show up. What are the ticket prices...

Again, serious wager. You've been told it is sold out, you've been told how much the tickets are, showing a high demand. What is your prediction on attendance and what do you want to wager. 

• Confused 1

On 5/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, Rudy said:

Again, serious wager. You've been told it is sold out, you've been told how much the tickets are, showing a high demand. What is your prediction on attendance and what do you want to wager. 

I don't bet since I'm retired and on fixed income and my fun money get spent on other things..ie NT season tickets. But I hope all 60000 people show up cause some may get there panties tied in a knot if the attendance is low.

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1