DRC (updated): First Responders Bowl moving to SMU's Ford Stadium for one season

Brett Vito

Just now, Magic95Fan said:

Imagine scoring a bowl game winning touchdown over Texas Tech or Baylor as time expires and then going and celebrating and hoisting a trophy at the 50 yard line of SMU's field. I cant think of anything more glorious.

Going to need vengeance against Harry Dunne for what he did to us last year in Albuquerque.
harry1.gif  David_Yost.jpg?width=300

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Is it though? Get a couple attractive teams there and all of sudden 30K seats will become a hot ---- expensive ticket. 

Honestly yes IMO. I went last year to the Boise State vs Boston College (all 5 minutes of it) and it was empty (maybe 5k butts in seats at most). If you get UNT and say, Baylor in it, you can bump up the price quite a bit and still sell out. You could probably still sell out the cotton Bowl with that matchup if the scheduling is good but the price per ticket would be low. All depends on what the bowl cares about. If they only care about ticket sales and don't make money of concessions, it's not a bad move.

So let me get this straight....move First Responders Bowl to Ford Stadium so 70 to 90 thousand hockey fans can watch the Dallas Stars play out door hockey on or around January 1st......

That's BS! They might put several thousand in the stands but a Bowl Game during Bowl season could put many more in the seats with the right teams. There's more to it than what's been printed.

• Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

So let me get this straight....move First Responders Bowl to Ford Stadium so 70 to 90 thousand hockey fans can watch the Dallas Stars play out door hockey on or around January 1st......

That's BS! They might put several thousand in the stands but a Bowl Game during Bowl season could put many more in the seats with the right teams. There's more to it than what's been printed.

Yeah...strange. And watch it be 75 degrees on January 1st and they have to cancel. 

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Obviously you haven't paid attention to previous Winter Classics. I guarantee they get more than any First Responder Bowl to date. 

I did see some of those winter classics. But I wonder: how many of them were in Texas? I don't think there was even a single one anywhere close to the south before. This is a big experiment on the NHLs part

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

I did see some of those winter classics. But I wonder: how many of them were in Texas? I don't think there was even a single one anywhere close to the south before. This is a big experiment on the NHLs part

This is the first one anywhere near Texas. However, promoted correctly it will sell out. 

8 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

In my football, basketball, baseball only mind, hockey played anywhere is like “meh”.

I grew up about 90 miles east of Chicago, so I was exposed to hockey at an early age. I have fond memories of first seeing hockey in person when I attended some Dallas Blackhawks games after moving to Dallas for work. It is great fun pounding on the glass and hollering insults! Try it sometime and your interest level will likely increase.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I grew up about 90 miles east of Chicago, so I was exposed to hockey at an early age. I have fond memories of first seeing hockey in person when I attended some Dallas Blackhawks games after moving to Dallas for work. It is great fun pounding on the glass and hollering insults! Try it sometime and your interest level will likely increase.

I attended a hockey game in Dallas way, way back, when ai was at NT.  A friend took me.  I want to say it was Dallas’ first hockey team, maybe a semi-pro team at the time.  Also attended a hockey game in Beaumont when they had a team. Probably a Double A team. Just didn’t care for the game.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I attended a hockey game in Dallas way, way back, when ai was at NT.  A friend took me.  I want to say it was Dallas’ first hockey team, maybe a semi-pro team at the time.  Also attended a hockey game in Beaumont when they had a team. Probably a Double A team. Just didn’t care for the game.

I think you might be thinking of the Dallas Blackhawks...they were a minor league team for the Chicago Blackhawks in a league called the Central Hockey League.  It is understandable to me that you didn't care for it. I am not a rabid hockey fan myself, but I do follow the Dallas Stars closely.  You are probably put off by the tendency for some games to get bogged down in defense, because that bugs me too.  I prefer to watch offense with lots of shots on goal.