UTSA revises scheduling strategy

Harry

7 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Can we play Grambling rather than Rhode Island? Would love to see their band at Apogee 

Yeah, RV couldn’t even get the FCS scheduling part right. F’ing Portland State, Rhode Island, Bethune-Cookman, Lamar, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, etc...all Dumb opponents for us to play.

There are exactly 3 FCS schools to schedule to get people to show up in Denton—SFA, Sam Houston, or Grambling. He avoided all of them 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

I thought RV was gone from the Athletic Department but for some reason some people cannot seem to understand that fact. We keep bringing his name up for some unknown reason and it serves no purpose other than revisiting history which is over and done. Also these statements are always negative toward RV. Never any positive things that RV accomplished such as, getting the Mean Green Village concept going, getting the original Athletic Building constructed, getting the current Women's softball field completed, plus getting Apogee constructed just to name a few. All this was accomplished with very little Financial Help from the University other than the Athletic Fee which he helped to get passed along with some great student help. He had to fight for every dollar he was able to get, and pushed the Administration for help at every step. He helped us to build the foundation for where we are today. Let us remember these good things and thank him for his effort and be thankful for the good things and be glad he is still Mean Green through and through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agree or disagree  with this facts, but these are the facts.

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 8

7 hours ago, 9299 said:

I thought RV was gone from the Athletic Department but for some reason some people cannot seem to understand that fact. We keep bringing his name up for some unknown reason and it serves no purpose other than revisiting history which is over and done. Also these statements are always negative toward RV. Never any positive things that RV accomplished such as, getting the Mean Green Village concept going, getting the original Athletic Building constructed, getting the current Women's softball field completed, plus getting Apogee constructed just to name a few. All this was accomplished with very little Financial Help from the University other than the Athletic Fee which he helped to get passed along with some great student help. He had to fight for every dollar he was able to get, and pushed the Administration for help at every step. He helped us to build the foundation for where we are today. Let us remember these good things and thank him for his effort and be thankful for the good things and be glad he is still Mean Green through and through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agree or disagree  with this facts, but these are the facts.

Slab on the beach. 

Lest we forget. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 9299 said:

Not to mention all of those delicious sandwiches from Jimmy Johns

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CK2 said:

2010-2015 Sam Houston teams would have beaten UNT. Thats why RV avoided them

the big lebowski opinion GIF

However, I will give you 2010 and 2015. Not happening in 2011 through 2014 though. We were bad from 2011-2014, but not get beat by FCS schools bad. 4-8, 9-4, 5-7 FBS teams typically handle FCS squads with relative to moderate ease. 

In that timeframe (2010-2015), SHSU played at least 1 FBS school every year. They had 1 win. The win: A 48-45 OT snoozer vs the 1-11 New Mexico Lobos. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:39 AM, untjim1995 said:

No doubt this is a member of the UNT 17 that got swindled by RV...

Ill hand it to you, you are correct.  I would much rather have all that money back that helped build those facilities.  I would much rather have our womens soccer team playing on intramural fields over by Peterbilt.  I would much rather have our golf team scrounging around trying to find a place to practice, instead of at a state of the art facility like Maridoe.  

And lastly, I wish they wouldn't have torn Fouts down, because they could sell Apogee to someone and give me my money back with interest and I could go back to watching football with a track between the field and the bleachers with horrible sight lines.

But you have convinced me.  I got swindled.  I'm going to call Ernie K. and convince him he was swindled as soon I hit send.  That way we can make sure we never get swindled again by helping our University along.

I would love to meet you some day, to see what intelligence really looks like, to see someone who didn't get swindled by donating money to the university that educated his family and that his family loves....

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Ill hand it to you, you are correct.  I would much rather have all that money back that helped build those facilities.  I would much rather have our womens soccer team playing on intramural fields over by Peterbilt.  I would much rather have our golf team scrounging around trying to find a place to practice, instead of at a state of the art facility like Maridoe.  

And lastly, I wish they wouldn't have torn Fouts down, because they could sell Apogee to someone and give me my money back with interest and I could go back to watching football with a track between the field and the bleachers with horrible sight lines.

But you have convinced me.  I got swindled.  I'm going to call Ernie K. and convince him he was swindled as soon I hit send.  That way we can make sure we never get swindle again by helping our University along.

I would love to meet you some day, to see what intelligence really looks like, to see someone who didn't get swindled by donating money to the university that educated his family and that his family loves....

Yak yak...dude hired bums that lost. And that's the bottom line. 

Carry on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 5

On 5/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, flyonthewall said:

But you have convinced me.  I got swindled.  I'm going to call Ernie K. and convince him he was swindled as soon I hit send.  That way we can make sure we never get swindle again by helping our University along.

You guys basically kept RV insulated for years from ever getting fired by the BOR or administration. Trust me, any competent AD makes up for you 17 if they had the chance, basically like they do now. 

Go fall on your sword somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 5

On 5/25/2019 at 10:30 PM, untjim1995 said:

You guys basically kept RV insulated for years from ever getting fired by the BOR or administration. Trust me, any competent AD makes up for you 17 if they had the chance, basically like they do now. 

Go fall on your sword somewhere else. 

You do realize that the same people that got "swindled" by the previous athletic director are the same people that are donating now.  To my knowledge there has not been one new large donor cultivated.  Just the same ones continuing to step up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

You do realize that the same people that got "swindled" by the previous athletic director are the same people that are donating now.  To my knowledge there has not been one new large donor cultivated.  Just the same ones continuing to step up. 

If true, then that is great. Also if true, WB needs to step his game up because that's unsat heading into year 3. 

• Upvote 3

I attached the picture I use to my board identifier (my school and my last name) in response to threads that deteriorate to the level this one has. I will just thank the "17," and anyone else who donates to this program that I obsess over, and appreciate your continued generosity and commitment. Every dollar given, during good times and bad, has brought us to the point we are now, arguably the best of times this athletic program has ever delivered.

GMG 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

But we are having success on the field, so nobody is looking at who the donor base is.  Thank you Ben for making my point.

I guess. I think most people know in large part that donors didn't pack up and take their ball home when RV was fired. But if there are not any new big donors at the table since WB came on, that's a colossal problem and needs to be addressed. I think WB may be heading into year 4, not 3 as previously stated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would also be curious to know if recent graduates are more engaged financially then previous regimes/eras.

I know it's not everyone, but it seems the majority - for decades - would graduate, then disappear for 10 years.  They'd emerge somewhere with a B12 shirt that they got from some friends, never to be seen in Denton again.

We need our large donors, but we also need to hang onto the interests a higher percentage of our graduates, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, flyonthewall said:

On 5/27/2019 at 10:29 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If true, then that is great. Also if true, WB needs to step his game up because that's unsat heading into year 3. 

This whole debate has been had and at the end of the day, it doesn't do a damn thing to move UNT forward.

Here' s my assessment which I think is fair (of course I would, LOL).

RV did his best. I think anyone that knows him knows he worked hard and took the job seriously. RV recently overcame a heart attacked suffered at a fairly young age. I would almost guarantee the stress of the years of being an AD contributed. 

Debating RV's legacy and merits as an AD really don't serve much purpose. The reality is the stadium was completed under his watch, the vision and start of the athletic campus came under his watch, etc. Without those things, we wouldn't be experiencing the success we are today.

WB seemingly has done a really good job since taking over. His hires (administrative and coaching) seem to be exactly what was needed. Most importantly, it seems we got rid of some of the dead weight we had hanging around. I think most of us recognize the department has taken significant steps, even RV's strongest supporters. 

I don't know about the whole big donor conversation. I will say this, we announced the two largest gifts and if I recall correctly doubled the previous fundraising record in a year so that's impressive. So if nothing else, we seem to be getting more out of those same donors. And guys like WagTag have stepped up significantly as well. I would call him a big donor and I don't remember him being one of the "17" maybe he was. I think I remember the overall donor number growing by 30% or something like that as well.

Both of these things are true. 1)RV made contributions and improvements that allow the success we are having today. 2)WB and his team have continued on those and taken to a whole new level. 

Lastly, UNT needs every damn donor. Shaming the biggest donors in history on this board seems shortsighted. Can we just stop this whole debate of the RV legacy? 

Okay, I know the answer is no.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1