DRC: Littrell extension to go before board tomorrow

Brett Vito

11 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Are we increasing the buyout each time he's extended, or are we just bidding against ourselves at this point?

Protecting our investment for the future and I'm sure increasing the buyout.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Are we increasing the buyout each time he's extended, or are we just bidding against ourselves at this point?

You're also bidding for future coaches. Now it's not "how much will we pay?" its "Look how much we can pay you"

Littrell will leave at some point. When he does, $1.6 Million is a hell of a lot more attractive than $800k to prospective coaches

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You're also bidding for future coaches. Now it's not "how much will we pay?" its "Look how much we can pay you"

Littrell will leave at some point. When he does, $1.6 Million is a hell of a lot more attractive than $800k to prospective coaches

Exactly, we can go for a higher pedigree of a coach with a higher initial starting pay point.

• Upvote 2

Big boy pants is the Holgerson deal at Houston.

“Holgorsen will be paid $3.7 million for 2019, not including potential incentive bonuses.

Memphis’ Mike Norvell had been set to be the highest-paid coach at a Group of Five public school in 2019, at $2.6 million. Central Florida’s Josh Heupel and Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell are scheduled to make $2.3 million in 2019. In 2018, Norvell also was making $2.6 million; the Naval Academy said Ken Niumatalolo’s base salary was just under $2.2 million; and Fickell made $2 million.

Based on current information, Holgorsen’s pay for 2019 could be greater than that of close to half of the head coaches at Power Five public schools.

Houston had been set to pay its previous coach, Major Applewhite, $1.75 million for 2019, including deferred compensation of $250,000 that would have accrued on Dec. 31, 2019.”

read more:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2473825002

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Big boy pants is the Holgerson deal at Houston.

“Holgorsen will be paid $3.7 million for 2019, not including potential incentive bonuses.

Memphis’ Mike Norvell had been set to be the highest-paid coach at a Group of Five public school in 2019, at $2.6 million. Central Florida’s Josh Heupel and Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell are scheduled to make $2.3 million in 2019. In 2018, Norvell also was making $2.6 million; the Naval Academy said Ken Niumatalolo’s base salary was just under $2.2 million; and Fickell made $2 million.

Based on current information, Holgorsen’s pay for 2019 could be greater than that of close to half of the head coaches at Power Five public schools.

Houston had been set to pay its previous coach, Major Applewhite, $1.75 million for 2019, including deferred compensation of $250,000 that would have accrued on Dec. 31, 2019.”

read more:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2473825002

I don’t think Holgorsen should be the measuring point. You take him out of the equation and $2m is strong for G5. This will also generate some strong press and open the interest level from future candidates. $2.5 to $ 3m will be needed to hire Gus once he is fired. 😳😳

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I don’t think Holgorsen should be the measuring point. You take him out of the equation and $2m is strong for G5. This will also generate some strong press and open the interest level from future candidates. $2.5 to $ 3m will be needed to hire Gus once he is fired. 😳😳

Agreed.  I would be thrilled to have it at 2 million.  Would remove the fear of another Dodge or Mac hire.  Then again, Houston paid Applewhite a ton of money and he failed (by their standards)  so there are no guarantees.

I think the biggest question for me is: If we hold on to Littrell past the 2019 season, and he doesn't have Mason Fine, how are we going to fare?

Not that I think Littrell isn't building a solid roster full of good players, but an all time great QB can cover up a LOT of deficiencies. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

On 5/23/2019 at 4:34 PM, MGNation92 said:

I think the biggest question for me is: If we hold on to Littrell past the 2019 season, and he doesn't have Mason Fine, how are we going to fare?

Not that I think Littrell isn't building a solid roster full of good players, but an all time great QB can cover up a LOT of deficiencies. 

I am worried about that too to some degree, although I have to say that last seasons recruiting class has reduced that worry at least a little bit.

• Upvote 2