The Continued Growth of Mason Fine

Harry

Who, in college football, has thrown for more yards than Mason Fine the past two seasons? No one. More than Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Ryan Finley, Will Grier, or Trace McSorley. Those five guys were all multi-year starters, all NFL draft picks, and all sit behind the rising senior quarterback from North Texas in yardage production.

Mason Fine continues to rewrite the Mean Green record book. He’ll set the Mean Green TD mark this season, probably before the end of week two, and he’ll have done with roughly 40 fewer interceptions than the current leader Steve Ramsey. Fine is the reigning and two-time CUSA offensive player of the year.

read more: 

https://swcroundup.com/news/2019/5/19/the-continued-development-of-mason-fine

He’ll set the Mean Green TD mark this season, probably before the end of week two, and he’ll have done with roughly 40 fewer interceptions than the current leader Steve Ramsey.“

This part just needs repeating for the “everything was better way back when” crowd.  

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

"Fine played at an elite level in five of the six categories (75th percentile rank or better). The one area that needs a jump start is his TD percentile rank, though he ranked in the 61st percentile. Air Raid hybrids tend to have issues in the red zone as the field shrinks and real estate becomes more valuable."

Don't know if I necessarily buy the air raid has issues in the red zone. It's just that our version of the air raid had issues in the red zone. I hope this is something Reeder can improve. We at times last year struggled to get TDs. It was great having such a good kicker but I want more TDs this year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Don't know if I necessarily buy the air raid has issues in the red zone. It's just that our version of the air raid had issues in the red zone. I hope this is something Reeder can improve. 

I'm not sure our offense will really be an Air Raid offense with Reeder:

When Graham Harrell left North Texas to take the offensive coordinator job at USC, head coach Seth Littrell didn’t limit his search to just air raid candidates. Instead, his search spanned both coasts.

Eventually, it took him down to the FCS level, and nearly 2,000 miles away to Cheney, Wash. And even though the search took him just 70 miles away from Mike Leach in Pullman, Wash., the coach he got isn’t from that tree.

If you ask Bodie Reeder, he doesn’t quite fit on any tree at all.

“I’m not air raid,” Reeder told Dave Campbell’s Texas Football. “I don’t know what I am. If I had to describe my brand of offense, I would just call it a winning offense.”

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/04/16/how-bodie-reeder-plans-to-build-winning-offense-at-north-texas?ref=article_preview_title

“I was introduced to some of the air raid concepts but then at the same time we used a lot of RPO’s and it’s kind of molded who I am as an offensive coordinator.”

https://www.ntdaily.com/new-offensive-coordinator-bodie-reeder-looks-to-rejuvenate-mean-green-offense/

Beyond the expanded role of TEs, it will be interesting to watch how our offense changes next year and how much SL keeps his stamp on it.

• Upvote 2

In Fine's sophomore year I thought he tried to make the big play in a few instances where the easier throw picks up the first down. Call it growing pains. 

Last year I thought the scheme let him down too many times. I still think we never had enough 5-8 yard options for him. When he did get in a rhythm, he was basically unstoppable. 

This year I'm hoping Reeder gets the best out of Fine. Sort of a Kellen Moore type of year. Takes what the defense gives, has a good third down percentage and burns you deep when you try to send people. I think Fine has it in him and we have the receiving tools, but I never saw that happening while GH was here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2