Which recruiting route would you prefer

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

SMU is going transfer heavy. UNT is adamant on sticking with high schoolers. Personally I  wish we would have loaded up for this season being it is Fines last year and we have yet to win one bowl/conference championship.

Loaded up? With jucos/transfers? 

It should be dependent on the roster alignment and what is needed. I believe the juco ranks and potential transfers should always be combed through. There are always ultra talented guys out there looking for a home. It would not be a bad philosophy at all to always keep 2 or 3 slots open every signing class and go out and land the best available players you can. 

• Upvote 1

A quality transfer yes more Juco’s no. You look at the JUCO success we have had and it is definitely a crap shoot. Yes we have had some success, but it is like 1 out of 3. With the uptick in quality HS players I could see maybe one or two being in a rotation and a lot more getting to play with the 4 game red shirt rule. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

A quality transfer yes more Juco’s no. You look at the JUCO success we have had and it is definitely a crap shoot. Yes we have had some success, but it is like 1 out of 3. With the uptick in quality HS players I could see maybe one or two being in a rotation and a lot more getting to play with the 4 game red shirt rule. 

In a perfect world you sign all high school but heck Texas signed a juco linebacker just a week ago so jucos play into just about every other program other than Rice.

Utah State and UAB have made the juco / transfer thing work.  Houston and SMU doing it big time now as well.  So many great players from DFW leave the state -  just wish we could give them a nice opportunity to come back home.

Target transfer players at the usual key positions of need (OT, DL, CB) but other than that all HS. Now obviously you would make exceptions for immediate needs or if a player comes along with too much talent to pass up. Torrey would be an example of the latter. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t really buy into the JUCO heavy philosophy.  UAB was JUCO heavy last season, weren’t really head and shoulders above us, and lost a TON of seniors after what I think will be their once in a half decade year on top.  

If we have a glaring need then maybe you take JUCO’s sparingly.  Otherwise, just improve the level of HS kids we sign. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I want nothing more than to see Fine walk of the field with a CUSA title and bowl win this year, so I would have accepted a recruiting approach that focused on immediate contribution.

That said, what the staff's focus on high school players says to me is:

1. The coaches are confident in the depth they've developed and that the program has players ready to step into vacated roles
  2. Littrell did not turn down KState and stay in Denton with a distracted, "one more and done" mindset

For those reasons, I'm glad they have recruited the way they have.

• Upvote 2