BREAKING --- Memphis AD stepping down...

Harry

Bowen departs from U of M athletic director post

"Tom and I have agreed to extend the existing terms of his contract through the end of the calendar year until our new (American Athletic Conference) media rights deal is finalized and the overall financial picture of the University of Memphis Athletic Department for the next several years is clear," Rudd said in a statement at the time of the extension.

In another recent athletic administration shuffling, the university announced April 17 that it had hired Jeff Crane as the new deputy athletic director. Crane, who was executive associate athletic director at South Carolina, replaced Mark Alnutt, who became athletic director at the University of Buffalo in March 2018.

read more: 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-tigers/article/5050/Bowen-departs-from-U-of-M-athletic-director-post

18 minutes ago, drex said:

So, should we be worried that Wren might go back?

Too early to tell.  I read that they recently hired a new deputy AD which it would seem they could use as a replacement.  Let's hope so.  Wren worked at Memphis and is highly thought of by them.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Luckily, we have Jared Mosley as well.

He was extremely successful at ACU, and has probably only gotten better under Wren's leadership. I think we're in good hands either way

This. If WB leaves, we have our AD already here and ready to step in.

What we really need to have in place is someone to be ready to step in when SL leaves for greener pastures. Whether that is someone here or another coach that is at the top of a wish list, that's what we need to have ready. 

• Upvote 3

Wren has been offered options better than Memphis and stayed so I expect he will be here until a dream job lands in his lap. Correct me if I'm wrong but WB's base salary is $450k while Bowen was $400k.

One other note is that I like our bench behind WB, but I have the feeling that if WB leaves at some point we hire someone of his caliber again rather than internal.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Some chatter going on at the AAC board regarding Wren Baker.  And the fact that a "P6" conference like the AAC can hire away anyone from a "G4" conference member.  AAC people sure do love themselves.

“Bowen initially signed a five-year contract that included an annual salary of $400,000. He then agreed to a two-year extension in 2015 that did not alter the financial terms of the original agreement.”

so question is how much we paying Wren and would he be willing to take more money to move up to AAC gig?  Or would he prefer to make his next move to p5... 

One thing to remember with AD's....it's a bit different than Football or Basketball where a big name P5 coach can make 10x what a G5 coach makes.

On average a Pac12 AD makes 750k and a Big 12 AD makes 958k/year. The average AAC AD makes just about 500k. Wren is making $450k so we should be able to fend off anyone but the top of the P5 schools for his services.  I promise you that UNT will not lose Wren over $50k. When the time comes for WB to go it will be to a major P5 school.

Yes, Memphis is in the AAC but it has about half the students, a smaller endowment, is in a smaller market and their president has just run this AD out...They are also paying out Tubby Smith something like 9 or 10 million to buyout his deal.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Based on everything Wren says, I don't see him leaving for Memphis. I did a quick twitter search and perused their board. His name is prevalent. But Smatresk seems to support Baker in every way. Maybe, it's wishful thinking but I don't think he leaves for anything less than Power 5.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

I've become skeptical of the basketball program under Penny's leadership.  Something smells rotten about the recruiting success and any candidate would be wise to look under the rugs before pursuing the gig

Penny was a sports Icon and is Icon on the AAU circuit.

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Upvote 1

I taught ROTC at the University of Memphis when Wren was there. We often had to work with the Athletics Department to plan and do the color guards for multiple sporting events. I do not see him leaving for Memphis. UNT is a much better place for an AD. I think he would only leave for a major P5 program. Besides, Memphis is a garbage city to live in. It is cool to visit Memphis as a tourist, but living there is a whole different matter. The school system is horrible, the crime rate is terrible, and the city leadership is completely corrupt. The last thing is, Memphis BBQ is not what it is hyped up to be. Texas BBQ is much better. :) 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I taught ROTC at the University of Memphis when Wren was there. We often had to work with the Athletics Department to plan and do the color guards for multiple sporting events. I do not see him leaving for Memphis. UNT is a much better place for an AD. I think he would only leave for a major P5 program. Besides, Memphis is a garbage city to live in. It is cool to visit Memphis as a tourist, but living there is a whole different matter. The school system is horrible, the crime rate is terrible, and the city leadership is completely corrupt. The last thing is, Memphis BBQ is not what it is hyped up to be. Texas BBQ is much better. :) 

Quality of life plays big on making these decisions kind of like Manhattan KS sucks. We are very fortunate to be able to offer a great area with great schools and now competitive salaries. GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Now don't crap on Memphis or compare. It's apples and oranges. They don't have your region's traffic for example.  And there are plenty of nice areas to live in that region; you just don't go to the bad areas. I guess you don't have poor people and criminals in the North Texas region?

And the BBQ, they have pork ribs and you have brisket. The two are just not comparable.

Their main problem is they don't have a Chuys.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I’m positive towards Memphis.  I remember being so impressed with their fan support back when we played them in the New Orleans Bowl. They have been outstanding in basketball for a long time and right now they appear poised to be a final four type team with Penny.  Football has been improving and Norvell is an OUTSTANDING recruiter.  

A good point was made earlier though, the salary jump from CUSA to AAC is not as significant as you might see with coaches.

If you’re UNT you really need to set Wren up to where it’s very difficult for a G5 to snap him up.  If it’s a p5 you pretty much gotta let him go and take care of his family.

38 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Now don't crap on Memphis or compare. It's apples and oranges. They don't have your region's traffic for example.  And there are plenty of nice areas to live in that region; you just don't go to the bad areas. I guess you don't have poor people and criminals in the North Texas region?

And the BBQ, they have pork ribs and you have brisket. The two are just not comparable.

Their main problem is they don't have a Chuys.

I’d say they have pulled pork with vinegary sauce.  It’s good, just very different & nowhere near as tasty as TX bbq.