10 Best Mean Green players YOU'VE seen play

It's the offseason, and that means useless filler banter for the next few months, so...

RANK THE 10 BEST MEAN GREEN PLAYERS YOU HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WITNESS PLAY FOR THE MEAN GREEN

It would help us all gauge the guys you've seen by including how long you've been following the Mean Green closely (I would say, give your Freshman year, but I know some folks have been fans for even longer than their enrollment).   And yes, I want to hear from you McCarney-and-Littrell-era-only young alumni/students!

I'll kick-off.   
I must preface, I'm basing my list on players' CAREERS.   So "Freshman" Jamario (although if he would kept that pace up, he'd most-definitely be on here), and 2008 Casey Fitzgerald's All-American season won't make the cut here.   You may choose a different set of criteria for your list... it's up to you!

Since 2000 (my Freshman year):

10. Brelan Chancellor - pure electricity whenever the ball was in his hands.
9. Johnny Quinn - seemed like just about every time the play-action pass went up, it was a huge, much-needed, JQ play.
8. Patrick Cobbs - We had some amazing runners during Coach Dickey's years, Pat was the best of them all.  He just shouldered the entire offense like Atlas.
7. Andy Brewster - an absolute mauler, and if those Dickey-draw plays worked, it was because Andy had already planted his DT & was upfield looking for a LB/Safety to devour.
6. Trevor Moore - Automatic.  His are the only 4 years I wasn't on the edge of my seat when a critical 30-40 yarder was about to be kicked, because I already knew it was going in.
5. Craig Robertson - So speedy & his nose for the ball was better than any LB I've seen wear the Green/White.
4. Lance Dunbar - His vision was incredible. He just knew where would-be tacklers were going to be before they got there... & watch that cutback!
3. Zach Orr - His motor was unstoppable. The ENTIRE team fed off his work ethic & leadership, and if he got his hands/arms on you, you're going down.
2. Mason Fine - What can you say about this guy?  He's already obliterated just about every passing record in our books, & he still has another year to go!
1. Brandon Kennedy - Bar none, best player I've ever seen play.  We don't win 26-straight conference games or SBC championships 4 years in a row (if any at all) without this guy.  He almost single-handedly made me a Mean Green fan for life.

I thought about adding an "Honorable Mention", but it would get too long!  Maybe the dudes I had there will show up in some of y'all's lists.

EDIT:  Yep, just in the first few posts afterward my honorable mention guys (sans 1) have been mentioned.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Such a hard list to make. Since 2005ish even though i attended games before then, i didn’t become a rabid fan until about then when I went back to school.

1. Zach Orr

2. Brelan Chancellor

3. Marcus Trice

4. Lance Dunbar

5. Rico Bussey

6. Mason Fine

7. Patrick Cobbs

8. Jamario Thomas 

9.  Kemon Hall

10. Derek Thompson

Honorable mention: the ghost of Raveon Hoston 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Based on their full career:

1.  Big Joe Greene

2.  Cedric Hardeman

3.  Mason Fine.

4.  Walter Chapman

5.  Lance Dunbar

6.  J.T. Smith

7.  Johnny Quinn

8.  Brandon Kennedy

9.  Patrick Cobbs

10.  Andy Blount

Really difficult to stick to just ten.  Others that crossed my mind were Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Scott Hall, Pete Harvey, Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Marcus Camper, Troy Redwine, Tony Elliot, Kim Phillips, John Baker, Bernard Jackson, Iseed Khouri,Brelan Chancellor,  Zach Orr, Laramie Lee, Kassell, Gross, Taylor Casey, Chris Hurd, EJ Ejiya, etc...  Still feel like I am overlooking some. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

That I’ve seen the play:

Walter Chapman

JT Smith

Burks Washington 

Brad Kassell

Brandon Kennedy

Patrick Cobbs

Johnny Quinn

Lance Dunbar

Zach Orr

Brelan Chancellor

Mason Fine

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 3

Joe Greene - The gold standard

Cedric Hardman - Underrated player, unbelievable sack machine

Steve Ramsey -  Had several national NCAA records at the end of his career

Ron Shanklin - The best of many great NT receivers

Brandon Kennedy - Two times conference MVP,  has any other defensive linemen ever done that?

Water Chapman - Another great nose guard, a tackle machine; had games with over 20 tackles; unbelievable for a lineman

Mason Fine - Another year to go on his legacy

Glen Holloway - A great offensive guard, not going to overlook the offensive line in this list

Eric Pegram - Most controversial pick,  didn't have numbers because he played on really bad NT teams,  Better rb than Dunbar or Cobbs

Jamario Thomas -  Led nation in rushing his freshman year, knocked because he never got close to those numbers again

• Upvote 3

Bernard Jackson RB (Dallas Carter)

Ken Washington, QB (Port Arthur Lincoln)

Walter Chapman, NG (Grand Prairie High)

Abner Haynes, RB (Dallas Lincoln)

Brandon Kennedy, NG (Terrell HS)

Jordan Case, QB (Seagoville HS)

Burks Washington, LB (Port Arthur)

Iseed Khoury, K 

Kasey Fitzgerald, WR

JT Smith, DB (Mckinney HS)

Zach Orr, LB (DeSoto U)

Stan Thomas

DT Woodson, DB (DeSoto U)

Michael Pruitt

Beasley Reese, DB

Johnny Quinn, WR (McKinney)

Malcolm Jones, RB (Dallas Carter)

Jeffrey Wilson, RB

Tony Elliott, DL

Toby Gowin

Scott Davis, QB (Richardson Berkner)

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Iseed Khoury, K 

Kasey Fitzgerald, WR

Zach Orr, LB (DeSoto U)

Stan Thomas

Michael Pruitt

Beasley Reese, DB

Jeffrey Wilson, RB

Tony Elliott, DL

Toby Gowin

jim-carrey-7-fingers-300x225_large.jpg?f

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, UNT 04 said:

LAIRAMIE LEE

Clip doesn’t have his big hit against GA but still you see

I forgot about that guy. He was fearless and a phenomenal player. Definitely deserves consideration. I’d be tempted to swap him and Kemon in my list above. Aaron Weathers was pretty darn good too.

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Such a hard list to make. Since 2005ish even though i attended games before then, i didn’t become a rabid fan until about then when I went back to school.

1. Zach Orr

2. Brelan Chancellor

3. Marcus Trice

4. Lance Dunbar

5. Rico Bussey

6. Mason Fine

7. Patrick Cobbs

8. Jamario Thomas 

9.  Kemon Hall

10. Derek Thompson

Honorable mention: the ghost of Raveon Hoston 

Marcus Trice miss that guy he was truly all in.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, UNT 04 said:

Marcus Trice miss that guy he was truly all in.

Going to get nailed for saying this, but we only had him two years and he was pretty shaky in coverage his junior year. His senior year was amazing and that is what we all remember but I can’t put him on a career list of top 10, just like Jamario.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Cooley said:

Iseed Khoury, K 

Kasey Fitzgerald, WR

Zach Orr, LB (DeSoto U)

Stan Thomas

Michael Pruitt

Beasley Reese, DB

Jeffrey Wilson, RB

Tony Elliott, DL

Toby Gowin

Wow! you just saved me a lot of typing. However, I would suggest three additional names.

John Love WR (I believe he was from Mexia)....#27 on your program. Drafted by Washington in the 7th round in 67. For younger members of the board, he was the original Brelan Chancellor and/or Kasey Fitzgerald. By his senior year many fans would come to their feet in anticipation when he fielded a punt during a game.

Rex Johnson NT, All-American (1AA) in 1988. #56 on your program. undersized (240) but always had to be double teamed. He was from Electra Tx.

Mitch Maher QB, Plano, #23 on your program.

BTW, J.T. Smith was from Sweetwater. I'm assuming that you were thinking of JT Hollins WR from McKinney,. 

• Upvote 1

1.  Mason Fine-great player, great person, great leader

2.Brelan Chancellor-anything was possible when he touched the ball

3.Jordan Case-he was a solid qb and loved to watch him play

4. Zac Orr- he was the man

5. Lance Dunbar- Loved to watch him run

6.  Rico Bussey- I would put him on the list just because of the TD pass against UTSA but he is so much more.

7.Andy Brewster-animal 

8. Booger-always hoped we can find another one of these players

9. Trevor Moore-just because I had no worries when he went on the filed to kick.

10.  Benard Jackson-he was a player

Many more that could be listed that I probably have forgotten. 

11- to all the defense players who were on the field when "The stand" happened against Rice.  I have never seen a more exciting 8 plays in my life.  You had to be there, throw out the fans that had Apogee rocking those 8 plays.  Was nice to see the Rice qb having trouble with a UNT crowd.

One other play I will always remember when UNT started to wing it first conference in CUSA was  when the MT unicorns came to Apogee and were favored of course.  The qb was looking to throw to the receiver on the outside a sort of screen pass and only Adrain Awason was between the qb and the receiver.  The qb though twice about throwing it and tried to throw over Awason. Awason jumped up and intercepted the ball.  I mean he jumped.  The play seem like it was in slow motion but it was key play in the game.

• Upvote 4

In no particular order...

1. Mason Fine (QB) - what is there to say?   Best QB in school history. Full command of the offense, great leader of men, and the poster boy for the new Mean Green Standard
  2. Patrick Cobbs (RB) - Ran opponents into submission and had enough juice to take it the distance
  3. Zach Orr (LB) - leader of the 2013 defense - arguably the best in program history (the best since S&P+ began in 2005)
  4. Trevor Moore (PK) - 80% FGs and 100% extra points.  Underappreciated.
  5. Booger Kennedy (DI) - disruptive force creating havoc in the backfield
  6. Lance Dunbar (RB) - carried the water in some dark times for the program and was special with the ball in his hands
  7. Johnny Quinn (WR) - Many acrobatic catches.  Made the most of limited opportunities.
  8. Cyril Lemon (OL) - "The Rev"... 2 time all-conference (twice honorable mention).  Made the introduction of those 2013 Centennial Celebration unis looks great!
  9. Jonas Buckles (S) - Hall of Famer ('15).  Truly the leader of a secondary that suffocated opposing passing games.
  10. Jeff Wilson (RB) - So incredibly versatile.  Unique vision and skill in the open field to make a house call even though a DB had the angle.

Some guys I loved to watch play but couldn't make the cut: Markeith Knowlton, Andy Brewster, Adrian Awasom, Kenny Buyers, Casey Fitzgerald, Brelan Chancelor

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:00 PM, 97and03 said:

Going to get nailed for saying this, but we only had him two years and he was pretty shaky in coverage his junior year. His senior year was amazing and that is what we all remember but I can’t put him on a career list of top 10, just like Jamario.

Just curious, would you have put Jamario on your team if he had gained those 1801 yards his senior year?  

Amazing in that year, Jamario averaged 180 yards rushing a game, but started the year with only 12 total carries against Baylor and Texas in game one and three.  Must have been an injury situation, although he had 32 carries and 247 yards in the between those games against Colorado.   

Glad those days are gone, playing Baylor, UT and Colorado in the first three games. 

Thomas had hamstring issues that contributed to his less than great, sophomore and junior numbers.  He had a decent senior year but was sharing the running back position  and only got an average of 10 carries a game. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, southsideguy said:

11- to all the defense players who were on the field when "The stand" happened against Rice.  I have never seen a more exciting 8 plays in my life.  You had to be there, throw out the fans that had Apogee rocking those 8 plays.  Was nice to see the Rice qb having trouble with a UNT crowd.

OH MAN. OHHH MAN, that series was electric. If there's ever a series where coaching and conditioning mattered, that was it. Rotating guys out helped, but making sure that they could even play that many plays straight and *STILL* lock the door on Rice was incredible. I went into that game worried about the Rice running game and for good reason. That series was yeah, just incredible. 

Then after The Stand, that was it, Rice was done. They were shaky before that, but shutting down that drive was the final nail.

I'm also glad to see names like Jones, Buckles, and Awasom pop up in peoples lists. I know Kennedy was great but he was just one guy on a pretty stellar D.

Lemme add two names:

Toby Gowin
Nick Bazaldua

Those guys - and Bazaldua, who I saw more of, were very consistent. 

Edited by meangreendork