Softball Recruiting Class

UNTLifer

I don't remember this being mentioned before and thought it would be a good way to kill 30 minutes waiting for our game against Marshall.  The link below is to our incoming class of 6 HS players.  This class looks pretty impressive on paper.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2018/11/23/softball-adds-six-on-signing-day.aspx?path=softball

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Payton Deaton; Pottsboro High School.

Deaton committed to North Texas more than a year ago over interest from Texas Tech, Texas and Kansas.

“The coaches had a big part. The team was very welcoming,” Deaton said. “The facilities and the campus were really nice.”

She has played third base for the Lady Cardinals and helped the team make the postseason in all three of her seasons so far. As a junior she was a first-team all-district selection after batting .339 with a .446 on-base percentage with two home runs, 19 RBI and 19 runs scored.

Deaton hit .343 with three home runs during a first-team all-district campaign as a sophomore when the Lady Cardinals reached the region quarterfinals for the first time in 12 years.

She was first-team all-district as a freshman when she hit .403 with five steals and Pottsboro advanced to the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons. The road in softball came out of a collection of activities — cheer, volleyball, basketball and track.

“It came down to what I was having the most fun at and what I was best at,” Deaton said. “I worked and worked and worked. Make the most out of it, get better and compete.”

https://www.heralddemocrat.com/sports/20181114/pottsboro-trio-headed-to-houston-north-texas-and-colorado-school-of-mines

• Upvote 2

Ariel Thompson

Ariel Thompson

Claremore Sequoyah • P • Sr.

A pitching and hitting force for the Eagles, Thompson led Claremore Sequoyah to a 24-9 record and regional tournament championship appearance. The right-handed pitcher threw 131⅓ innings, struck out 271 batters and walked 36 en route to a record of 14-6. Thompson sported a 1.01 ERA, recorded nine shutouts, pitched three no-hitters and tossed one perfect game. On offense, Thompson had a .446 batting average, .542 on-base percentage and .812 slugging percentage. In 104 at-bats, she notched 52 hits and scored 40 runs. She drove in 41 runs, had 16 doubles, two triples and 10 home runs, stole 12 bases and only struck out six times at the plate. An Oklahoma Fastpitch Coaches Association All-State selection. Thompson signed with the University of North Texas.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/all-world-softball-meet-the-finalists-for-players-of-the/article_e254cde4-dab1-5280-8c05-7f0564756233.html

Canyon is still in the playoffs and plays Dumas in the 3rd round tomorrow.  Thru 4 games in the playoffs they have outscored their oppononents 60-5.😳😳😳

Duncanville was eliminated 2 games to 1 by Waxahachie in round 1.

Andress was eliminated by Hanks in the 1st round.

Horn was eliminated in the first round by Belton.

Claremore made a run in the regional playoffs, though I can’t tell by their system how deep that is.  Their softball season is played in the fall.

Pottsborro didn’t make the playoffs as best I can tell?  But one of our Mean Green players’ parents told me a while back that they’ve seen Deaton play and claims “she’s one of the best third basemen I have ever seen”.   So we’ll see.

Rick