ACU check in (UNT 2019 opening opponent)

Harry

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Took a little tour around the website... They have some impressive facilities for a school of their size.  I can see why they are on the rise....

Their baseball stadium is pretty nice too 😞 

ACU has a lot of money.

• Upvote 2

ACU will bring a large contingent to Apogee.  You would be surprised how many alumni they have in the DFW area.  They used to pregame at McKenna Park.  The activities in our tailgate area may shock them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

ACU will bring a large contingent to Apogee.  You would be surprised how many alumni they have in the DFW area.  They used to pregame at McKenna Park.  The activities in our tailgate area may shock them.

I wouldn't. They are part of what I call the Big Three in Texas......Baptist, Church of Christ and Methodist.  All of which have Universities in Abilene.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, UNTLifer said:

I suspect they all have partaken of the 'bible belt".

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 7:48 AM, MrStrange18 said:

Took a little tour around the website... They have some impressive facilities for a school of their size.  I can see why they are on the rise....

Their baseball stadium is pretty nice too 😞 

I have traveled to Abilene/ACU quite a bit over the past 3 years for work (my company administers their employee benefits and I'm a consultant) - I got to tour their new stadium when it was built and it is INCREDIBLY nice for a college their size. They hosted a concert with a few bands as part of their grand opening. They have a lot of really neat buildings on campus as well - They were renovating their library last summer/early fall and their Visitors/Welcome Center is super nice. I like their baseball field too. Having worked fairly closely with their HR team and some of their C-level Executives, they don't have much turnover from a staff/coach perspective (though coaches can always be up in the air anywhere you go), and also seem to have a large amount of resources available to them. There are some great coaches and executives there - All-around good people!

On 5/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, UNTLifer said:

ACU has a lot of money.

I can confirm that they definitely have money. A lot of donors and great Alumni support.

• Upvote 2

On 5/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, UNTLifer said:

ACU will bring a large contingent to Apogee.  The activities in our tailgate area may shock them.

Maybe a few of them, but in general, I doubt it.  Dyess is out there, so there's plenty of places to let your hair down in Abilene.  

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LongJim said:

Maybe a few of them, but in general, I doubt it.  Dyess is out there, so there's plenty of places to let your hair down in Abilene.  

Fun fact. When I attended a conference at McMurray eons ago (around 2001) the students from ACU and Hardin Simmons told me that their officials would check the bar parking lots for university parking stickers. If you were identified as being at a bar, you had to report to the Dean of Students. We naturally gave them a ride to the bar with us.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, SilverEagle said:

Thanks in great part to this guy when he was AD there.

https://meangreensports.com/staff.aspx?staff=5

Jared did a stellar job for ACU. He’s one of several connections between ACU and UNT. Riley Mayfield played for ACU before grad transferring to UNT. When we were searching for a new HC two years ago our search committee contacted Graham Harrell, who has deep ACU family connections. He said no thanks,  but Wren Baker suggested Adam Dorrel from NW Missouri who eventually became our HC. 

Those of us from ACU are looking forward to playing the Mean Green. We like the money and a chance to play on a bigger stage than normal. Who know we might even score a few points against you. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, OscarWildeCat said:

Jared did a stellar job for ACU. He’s one of several connections between ACU and UNT. Riley Mayfield played for ACU before grad transferring to UNT. When we were searching for a new HC two years ago our search committee contacted Graham Harrell, who has deep ACU family connections. He said no thanks,  but Wren Baker suggested Adam Dorrel from NW Missouri who eventually became our HC. 

Those of us from ACU are looking forward to playing the Mean Green. We like the money and a chance to play on a bigger stage than normal. Who know we might even score a few points against you. 

tv show lol GIF

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2