Does Coach Kee deserve some credit here?

Harry

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Love DeLong and what he has accomplished but it seems like she should given that she recruited most of the players.  Looks like she just ran out of time.  

jeremy renner wtf GIF

Dude.....you feeling ok?  

You know.......if there ever was a time when I could see or read about Coach DeLong accepting any of the next immediate P5 openings, regardless of how shitty that program is, like Kansas or Pitt,......it would be after this week, and this post would be the trifecta for him to have a reason...or at the very least a thought for doing it.

First he wins the regular season championship and the #1 seed in the tournament only to be told no, your only Co-Champions.

Then he’s told for his efforts turning around a cellar dweller to 1st place (IN HIS FIRST SEASON)  he earns the Coach Of The Year award only to be told he also has to share that award with the arrogant bastard he beat 2 out of 3 times,... even though that guy failed to win the conference following a preseason #1 pick.  

And now this post.  Where he can read/hear about how one of our long time supportive fans thinks we should give credit for his work & sweat......to the coach he replaced, the same rancid coach who had created such a negative culture that at one point 7 players, including our homerun leader,...left at the same time.  

Our fanbase is so beat down from being sold that it’s ok to be...JUST OK”, and that any success realized is a lucky circumstance, because afterall...this is just North Texas.  

It really is a wonder that we can hire anyone at all that turns out to be a solid hire and then somehow retain them for any length of time?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

She did not "run out of time"--if she would have been kept around another year, she would have driven the program further into the ground.  She deserved a kick to the curb at the end of year 2, if not earlier.

Right now, I'd have to say that Coach DeLong is one of the top 5 hires the A.D. has made since I've been following UNT.  Coach Kee is bottom 5.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

No.  She was a cancer that ran off half the team one year, and the players that stayed acted like they hated playing for her.  She and her assistant she brought here left ECU on questionable terms, was allowed to stay here a couple seasons too long and is now at Texas A&M Commerce.  The downward trend of her career illustrates what type of coach she is/was.  She deserves zero credit.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I feel like the Wren era has inspired an extraordinary amount of posts/threads that want to discuss credit or blame regarding ex-employees.  Dodge, Dickey, Mac, JJ, Benford RV, and now Kee....

Most of the time, I don't think it's necessary.  Sometimes, it really ruffles feathers.  I don't know the psychology behind this.  Is it a good thing,?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I feel like the Wren era has inspired an extraordinary amount of posts/threads that want to discuss credit or blame regarding ex-employees.  Dodge, Dickey, Mac, JJ, Benford RV, and now Kee....

I don't follow.  "Now" Kee?  I and others were posting that she needed to be fired when RV was still around.  Now that she is an "ex-employee" I only allude to her poor tenure in response to Harry's incendiary O.P.

Is there a basis for your hypothesis?

• Upvote 4

Kee needed to be gone. Delong showed why. In particular it appears that Kee did not manage to have a team atmosphere that was conductive to keep talent around. Given that that rang a bit in the same tune of what was said about how she left the previous position, she actually got a long leash rather than a short one. This seasons success is all on DeLong who is deserving of an extension and more resources. Lets hope next season he can get the ladies to the NCAAs; this season sure has indicated that his team will truly compete for that next season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1