Another Reason Why Judy MacLeod Needs To Go!

The Commissioner has little to no say in conference awards. More often than not, it's a combination of coaches, SIDs, and press members.

I do agree that LaTech getting Coach of the Year doesn't feel quite as deserving compared to Rodney DeLong

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

https://conferenceusa.com/sports/2016/7/1/sports-w-softbl-spec-rel-w-softbl-format-html.aspx?path=softball

Postseason Awards:

Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Pitcher of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, first and second team All-Conference and All-Freshman Teams are chosen by head coaches and announced prior to the championship. In addition, an All-Academic Team of 11 players will be selected by SIDs.

• Confused 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The Commissioner has little to no say in conference awards. More often than not, it's a combination of coaches, SIDs, and press members.

I do agree that LaTech getting Coach of the Year doesn't feel quite as deserving compared to Rodney DeLong

I doubt it without a lot of extraordinary arm twisting coming from someone, and I’m willing to bet it was due to the tornado that hit La Tech’s field?  And it shouldn’t if true.

No one in their right sports mind looks at the results and comes to this conclusion calling both teams Co-Champions and both coaches Co-COY.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

https://conferenceusa.com/sports/2016/7/1/sports-w-softbl-spec-rel-w-softbl-format-html.aspx?path=softball

Postseason Awards:

Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, Pitcher of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, first and second team All-Conference and All-Freshman Teams are chosen by head coaches and announced prior to the championship. In addition, an All-Academic Team of 11 players will be selected by SIDs.

That’s bizarre and makes zero sense. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

About as appropriate as one team beating another 2 out of 3 times and getting called Co-Champions.

Rick

Obviously LaTech got some sympathy votes. Is it fair? Not really but it happened. But to lay this at the feet of the Commissioner is pretty out there.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

There are a myriad of reasons why McLeod needs to go, but this one isn't one.   
If the coaches vote ends in a tie, then they're going to be co-COY.   Why any coach who played against NT last year and this year would NOT choose coach DeLong based on the incredible turn-around, is beyond me.

And there's an upcoming Conference Tournament that will determine the actual Conference champion.   Let's just win that and put all the "co" stuff to bed.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are a myriad of reasons why McLeod needs to go, but this one isn't one.   
If the coaches vote ends in a tie, then they're going to be co-COY.   Why any coach who played against NT last year and this year would NOT choose coach DeLong based on the incredible turn-around, is beyond me.

And there's an upcoming Conference Tournament that will determine the actual Conference champion.   Let's just win that and put all the "co" stuff to bed.

Of course I didn’t realize the commissioner wasn’t listed before I posted this but it’s still her mess.  If the coaches chose then they chose so be it but it and the co-championship thing is complete crap.  But it’s par for North Texas.  

We have a fan base that accepts it and things like it and it’s why RV was allowed to lawn dart this thing for 15 years with only a few of us willing to put our foot down..

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Of course I didn’t realize the commissioner wasn’t listed before I posted this.  If the coaches chose then they chose so be it but it and the co-championship thing is complete crap.  But it’s par for North Texas.  

We have a fan base that accepts it and things like it and it’s why RV was allowed to lawn dart this thing with only a few of us willing to put our foot down and complain.

Rick

Eh,
I'm not knowledgeable about how the regular-season crown tiebreakers are worded in the Conference bylaws, but I'm betting it probably says something like, "If the top two teams have the same record at the end of the season, then they're crowned co-champs... regardless of their head-to-head records."   That's my best guess.  Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't make any sense to declare co-champs like that.  
But we all know the regular-season champion label doesn't mean as much as winning the conference tournament (ask the soccer ladies).  If you win that, THEN you're the champs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Obviously LaTech got some sympathy votes. Is it fair? Not really but it happened. But to lay this at the feet of the Commissioner is pretty out there.

It wasn’t “out there” prior to knowing that the coaches choose.

It’s still her shit show and overall she needs to go.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It wasn’t “out there” prior to knowing that the coaches choose.

It’s still her shit show and overall she needs to go.

Rick

You point why she should go is proven invalid, but it still proves she needs to go? You need to run for political office!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You point why she should go is proven invalid, but it still proves she needs to go? You need to run for political office!

Beating La Tech 2 out of 3 times then getting called co-champions is good enough for me to kick her to the curb...but that’s just me.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4