What is the best G5 recruiting strategy?

Should you try to get as many early commitments as possible, especially given the earlier signing Date of December?

Or should you hold off and leave open spots, waiting to see who is out there and wait for the P5's to load up?

Or should you do a mix of both?

To give you an idea of where things stand now, we have 5 commits and are ranked #3 in C-USA:

Tulsa has 2 commits

SMU: 0

UTSA: 5

La. Tech: 3

Houston: 1

Rice: 7

UTEP: 0

UAB: 2

For the record, I am a believer in holding back some open spots because the closer you get to signing day the more talented players will come available.  I've just seen too many times where really good players came available late in the game when we were all filled up.

On the other hand, if you can fill up early and land quality players at positions you need, it's hard to say no to that!

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

Should you try to get as many early commitments as possible, especially given the earlier signing Date of December?

Or should you hold off and leave open spots, waiting to see who is out there and wait for the P5's to load up?

Or should you do a mix of both?

To give you an idea of where things stand now, we have 5 commits and are ranked #3 in C-USA:

Tulsa has 2 commits

SMU: 0

UTSA: 5

La. Tech: 3

Houston: 1

Rice: 7

UTEP: 0

UAB: 2

For the record, I am a believer in holding back some open spots because the closer you get to signing day the more talented players will come available.  I've just seen too many times where really good players came available late in the game when we were all filled up.

On the other hand, if you can fill up early and land quality players at positions you need, it's hard to say no to that!

I am sure we classify a player based on quality, potential and need. Maybe a guy that hits all 3 at high level may be considered an A candidate. I definitely think it is a fluid situation, but if you can hit all A guys I would say fill the class up!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

We signed all 3 stars last December and you are doubting the strategy?  

200.gif

Not doubting just questioning.  Not saying it didn't work well for us last year.  Just saying keeping some spots open may be an alternative to consider.

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not doubting just questioning.  Not saying it didn't work well for us last year.  Just saying keeping some spots open may be an alternative to consider.

I assume it will be situational. If we have 25 top guys we want, then we will sign them. If we are short a couple, we sign what we have and aggressively pursue recruits still chasing after P5’s or late qualifiers.

What I like about last year is that it shows we can sign a class early, which tells recruits they need to get on board before December. I think that helps us and might help change perceptions that little ole UNT will always be an option if you don’t end up with that UT/ATM/OU offer that was never really going to come. 

• Upvote 3