DRC: Regents to consider new contract for Littrell soon

This is always good news when you see the school up the ante on coaching salaries.  Clearly everyone knows Littrell is a hot commodity and any way we can minimize that issue through extending his contract and coaching salaries the better.  You have to think the other schools will try to use Littrell’s future job prospects against us in recruiting ie “he won’t be there long.”  Let me again be clear - this is a MUCH better situation that Dan McCarney “he will be there forever”.

We lost 5 assistant coaches this last cycle and most went to greener pastures which is a good sign for the program.  Still you would like to make it tougher for them to leave and try to incentivize them to stay.

Couple of interesting Asst salary notes:

Clay Jennings is making $140k for us — at Houston last year he made $250k.

Galen Scott made $308k at Va Tech - he makes $145K with us.

Would love to see where our total coaching and AD compensation and how it compares to other C-USA as well as other conferences ie AAC, MWC and Sun Belt.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Seth $2m man? Hope we can make it attractive enough where he would not go to just any P5 job. Like a KSU. He seems to really like living in the area. Recruiting with the IPF finished could be really exciting! GMG 

That’s exactly what I am hoping for.  Make it hard for Seth to take a lower level p5.  Make the assistant budget to where you are getting top notch guys even if there is turnover because guys are moving up the food chain.

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s exactly what I am hoping for.  Make it hard for Seth to take a lower level p5.  Make the assistant budget to where you are getting top notch guys even if there is turnover because guys are moving up the food chain.

Not long ago that was the idea...Not even 2-3 years ago. Now, even the bottom feeding nobodies of the "P5" of whom will never win meaningful games in our lifetime are starting to whip that TV money out of their wallet...Jeff Brohm was recently extended by Purdue to the tune of 5.15M per year with 1.7M incentives attached. Brohm's incentives outweigh SL's current salary I believe. Other programs will follow suit such as your BC's, Colorado's, Indiana's, etc. of the world. Those pesky nobodies (and they will most certainly remain nobodies) are starting to put out even for no other reason but to delineate themselves from "us". 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not long ago that was the idea...Not even 2-3 years ago. Now, even the bottom feeding nobodies of the "P5" of whom will never win meaningful games in our lifetime are starting to whip that TV money out of their wallet...Jeff Brohm was recently extended by Purdue to the tune of 5.15M per year with 1.7M incentives attached. Brohm's incentives outweigh SL's current salary I believe. Other programs will follow suit such as your BC's, Colorado's, Indiana's, etc. of the world. Those pesky nobodies (and they will most certainly remain nobodies) are starting to put out even for no other reason but to delineate themselves from "us". 

They feel the realignment heat perhaps 🤨

• Upvote 1

We need to make it attractive  enough where Seth only leaves for an upper dream job. I am sure KSU was a big dollar increase, and if it was about the money he would of been gone. How was the winter in Manhattan?  More $$$ will be thrown at him but quality of life and stability for his family is also important. Wait for that OU, OSU, Auburn or FSU.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hear you on that great point — Kansas is a great example as they have hired a big name AD and head coach Les Miles and seem to be truly serious this time (heard that before we have of course).  

I think Houston is the type of g5 program I aspire for us to be.  Yeah they came up short for the Big 12 but look at where they are now with Holgerson and Sampson as coaches, new facilities and a bright future.  In football, they are getting 4 star transfers who are wanting to come back home, and they are convincing guys like Ed Oliver to stay there.  They paid Tom Herman 2.5 million and everyone thought they were crazy to do it at the time.  Now not so much.

I would like to see us become the Houston program of DFW.  

15 hours ago, p_phelps said:

They sure stopped TCU

Really, I was imagining a scenario where they - Longhorns and A&M - are both already T10.  I should have clarified.

Houston and TCU, I could be wrong, both seem to have risen at the expense of one or both of the aforementioned.  Call it their own investing, but maybe there is an element of timing too?

I’m not a tinfoil hat guy, but any historical discussion about the rise/fall of Texas programs is much more interesting to me than another Mason-Fine-is-awesome thread, or seeing that anti-Vito vitriol that is bleeding into his respective threads.  I’m not making excuses, I’m just digging for some history.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1